Help! Turning down NYU for BU?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

BU
57%
NYU
43%

Total votes: 49

cboo

Help! Turning down NYU for BU?

Postby cboo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:43 pm

I could really use some advice. I have a PhD in the biological sciences and want to go into patent law. I live in Boston with my husband right now and he can't move because of his career. Would I be crazy to stay in Boston and go to BU instead of moving to New York alone? I have a couple of reasons for thinking this might be a good idea. The first is that, although I've gotten about the same amount of $ from both schools, I'd save about $15k a year by staying in Boston and living with him. The second is that I've heard that where you go to law school isn't as important in patent law. Oh, and I want to work in Boston when I graduate. Please help!

Blindmelon

Re: Help! Turning down NYU for BU?

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Same amount of $ at both? Can you ask try to get more out of BU? What are you career aspirations, etc.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Don't let the ranking-obsession of this board fool you. Sometimes its not about just "going to the best school you get into". Its about going to the best school you get into that is right for you. And in this case, BU sounds much more right for you than NYU. You live in Boston, have a husband in Boston, want to stay in Boston upon graduation, and BU will cost you less overall. That combination of factors trumps the mere high ranking of NYU in my opinion. Staying in Boston will allow you to form a network of contacts in the city. If you do indeed wish to work there upon graduation, this can prove invaluable. This is one of those rare cases where the lower-ranked school is simply the "right" choice for you.

WhatToDo21

Postby WhatToDo21 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Well speaking from a guys perspective if i was married which i am not.. I would be quite pissed if my wife moved away for three years.. Your marriage should be reason enough to pick Bu.. Try and get more money from Bu.. Either way gl

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Well, first of all, where you go to law school is important even in patent law. It may be slightly less important, but it's still very much so.

That said, between the cost savings, the fact your husband is in Boston, and the fact that the rankings disparity is slightly less because you're trying to do patent, I'd say BU is a totally legitimate choice.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:54 pm

dakatz wrote:Don't let the ranking-obsession of this board fool you. Sometimes its not about just "going to the best school you get into". Its about going to the best school you get into that is right for you. And in this case, BU sounds much more right for you than NYU.

+10000 Exactly. If it is ranking vs. your marriage and future location, the latter definitely trumps. It seems clear that BU would work really well for you. It is still an excellent school and you will have great prospects afterward.

cboo

Postby cboo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I already sent my NYU offer to BU and their reply at that point was basically "a decision has already been made and is in the mail." I'm going to try again but I'm not sure it'll change anything. But either way, it sounds like maybe BU is the right choice.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:47 pm

BU + 45k in living expenses + hubby <<<< NYU

esp since i assume you want patent-biglaw

when $$'s are equal, it is indeed about going to (roughly) the best school you can get into. that's why the lower-ranked schools are supposed to offer you more money...if i were you, i'd go to NYU, try to cram all your classes into a few days, and take the train up every week. annoying, but acela has wireless!

if you were talking about duke v. nyu, i'd feel ya. or maybe if this economy didn't blow. hopefully you get a good chunk of dollaz from BU. if it were a BU full ride, i think you should take it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”