WFU or UGA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do in my situation?

Wake Forest ($25,000/yr scholarship, if top 2/3)
41%
UGA (In-State Equalization)
59%

Total votes: 37

Nicholasnickynic

Re: WFU or UGA?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:58 am

all of the above is true.

However, uga's larger class size= larger network.

Also, UGA=phenomenal moot court team, so I imagine they would prepare you well for actual litigation work (assuming you can make the team :) )

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:02 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:all of the above is true.

However, uga's larger class size= larger network.

Also, UGA=phenomenal moot court team, so I imagine they would prepare you well for actual litigation work (assuming you can make the team :) )

Wake is also known for producing excellent litigators (just FYI). But you're right, UGA's Moot Court team is superb!

Also, this thread = :lol:

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:05 am

I'm still looking at UGA, if you don't mind me asking, what made you pick UGA>Wake?

If you don't want to start a shit-storm, you could pm me.

Thanks =)

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:06 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I'm still looking at UGA, if you don't mind me asking, what made you pick UGA>Wake?

Thanks =)

I will PM you :wink:

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:07 am

missvik218 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:I'm still looking at UGA, if you don't mind me asking, what made you pick UGA>Wake?

Thanks =)

Probably wise, the wakies would eat you alive if you said anything negative in public

Threepeat

Postby Threepeat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
missvik218 wrote:

Thanks =)

Probably wise, the wakies would eat you alive if you said anything negative in public

Awww c'mon!!! Now that's the kind of stuff I was lurking this thread to hear!

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:42 am

N/M, I'll PM it.
Last edited by missvik218 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:55 am

placencia wrote:I think something that many people really are ignoring is the most important question, which is which school will train you to become the best attorney, and which will actually prepare you best for the world afterwards. I know that a lot of people talk about rankings and job opportunities and the network and other things, but there are many factors that play into that. For one, Wake Forest is a small program, with a class size of about 150 or so, and UGA is about a hundred more. That means that you're looking at a difference of about 40% in the number of people who can be part of the post graduate "network" that UGA has. The biggest reason that UNC probably has such a good network and you see so many people in jobs in NC from there is because they have a class size of 400. That's almost the entire Wake law program.

They are both very good schools, but I think you have to think more about which one will prepare you best. Obviously you will get more personal attention and development at a small school, but a larger group will probably open up more opportunities, because they offer a larger diversity of programs and courses. Leaving UNC out of it, I can only speak to what I saw at Wake when I visited. They have two things that I thought would be very good in the long run. The first was their system of sharing notes. A student mentioned to me that most of the class outlines and notes are up on a universally accessible website so you don't have to spend all your time in class furiously copying. They are made by previous year's students, and each semester they are updated to reflect the best and most accurate notes.

You can sit there and actually engage in discussion and make your own notes in the margins, and I personally think that will allow you to be a better student, and also make studying much more efficient. I thought that would provide a great studying and learning advantage. The other was the very small class size and relationship with faculty. It seemed like the faculty were very easy to access and build relationships with, the same relationships that are going to be invaluable after law school is over in getting a job and building your own personal network.

This is way too on topic for the completely off topic discussions that have taken up this thread. Please edit and change to something completely irrelevant.

enter_sandman

Postby enter_sandman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:57 pm

I'm bumping again. Thanks everyone for the help, and as noticed from the rest of the thread, irrelevant topics okay if not encouraged.

vendetta2

Postby vendetta2 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:15 pm

go to UGA! I wish I had the opportunity to debate between these two schools, but unfortunately UGA waitlisted me. If anyone has any tips on how to get in off of UGA's waitlist, pm me (is this off topic enough?)

demon deacons, tar heels, and bulldogs are all sick mascots. did this factor in your decision on where to apply? ;)

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:02 pm

OP - It doesn't matter. All of these schools are equally the same. Go to the cheapest.

Arguing that UNC is for public interest and WF is for private practice is so trite and pointless that is really not even worth talking about. Using the link provided http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf , FIVE grads is the difference in UNC, UGA, and WF private practice. FIVE. That is your evidence for better job prospects? It is all the same.

Furthermore, the posters who told you WFU would give you
some more mobility
, have nothing to back that up. Most everyone in this thread is just citing the same old hearsay that comes around when people compare these two schools(UNC v WFU).

That being said, JoThompson solved this thread in the second post when he wrote

Whichever is most affordable, I think they're all peer schools.

UGA Tuition would be $14,448 for the first year with the scholarship
WFU Tuition would be $11,514 with the scholarship and top 2/3 ($24,014 if not)

UNC is 16k, so provided you can make top 2/3 at WFU (and you should probably drop out of school if you are in the bottom 30%, just saying), you should go to WFU unless you strongly want to practice in Georgia, then go to UGA.

enter_sandman

Postby enter_sandman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:28 pm

I got into Carolina Law and will be attending in the fall. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”