WFU or UGA? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do in my situation?

Wake Forest ($25,000/yr scholarship, if top 2/3)
41%
UGA (In-State Equalization)
59%

Total votes: 37

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Re: WFU or UGA?

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:30 am

Really? Your going to whip out the Higher Percent of Grads Employed at Graduation. Really? When its something like a .02% difference? Really?

Also, according to nlj 250, unc DOES NOT have a better reputation at firms, despite thier vaunted status as a public ivy.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:34 am

"Public ivy" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It's like calling Duke the "Harvard of the South."

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:35 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Really? Your going to whip out the Higher Percent of Grads Employed at Graduation. Really? When its something like a .02% difference? Really?

Also, according to nlj 250, unc DOES NOT have a better reputation at firms, despite thier vaunted status as a public ivy.
I actually removed the higher percent at graduation when i realized it was that small a difference this year... usually it's a much higher difference.

And show me the NLJ250 stats you're looking at (again, UNC's goal isn't to place NLJ250, that's not why people go to that school).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:37 am

icydash wrote:And show me the NLJ250 stats you're looking at (again, UNC's goal isn't to place NLJ250, that's not why people go to that school).

It's probably the Go-To list of schools. On my phone, so I don't have it handy, but a quick search should turn it up for you.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 am

NLJ 250: (http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf)

Wake is ranked #31
UNC barely makes the list at #48

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 am

The fact that Wake places 5% better at the NLJ250 does not mean that UNC has a "worse reputation" at firms. You're confusing reputation and placement statistics, these are not always correlated. Wake places more people at NLJ250 firms because that's what wake is known for, placing in private firms. UNC is know for public service/PI.

Also, historically, UNC is >>>>> Wake
See: http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf for details (if we're going to use the NLJ250 as a metric)

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:47 am

icydash wrote:The fact that Wake places 5% better at the NLJ250 does not mean that UNC has a "worse reputation" at firms. You're confusing reputation and placement statistics, these are not always correlated. Wake places more people at NLJ250 firms because that's what wake is known for, placing in private firms. UNC is know for public service/PI.

Well, if UNC isnt going to get me a high paying job, than they can have all the "prestige" they want.

Ill take the job.

Also, response to 2x as many clerks despite a much smaller class? Do unc students also not like being federal clerks?

enter_sandman

New

Post by enter_sandman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:is you instate equalization for all 3 years?
First year, but I would try my best to be in-state the rest of the time.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:52 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote: Well, if UNC isnt going to get me a high paying job, than they can have all the "prestige" they want.

Ill take the job.

Not everyone goes to law school for a high paying job, believe it or not. I'm not saying UNC would be -my- choice, I'm just assessing the available data. Also, some people (not me) are suckers for prestige and choose it over money often.
Nicholasnickynic wrote: Also, response to 2x as many clerks despite a much smaller class? Do unc students also not like being federal clerks?
I will respond to this when you respond to my post about UNC having historically better job placement in the NLJ250 than Wake (see my last post (it was an edit)).
Last edited by icydash on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:52 am

enter_sandman wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:is you instate equalization for all 3 years?
First year, but I would try my best to be in-state the rest of the time.

I think tahts important in considering.

The tour guide told me that 80% of the OOSers get instate for 2nd and 3rd year, and she basically said that the 1 in 5 really mess things up for themselves in order to not be able to do it.

That being said, I have also heard talk on this board that its harder than UGA claims it is.

If I were you, I'd investigate.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:53 am

icydash wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote: Well, if UNC isnt going to get me a high paying job, than they can have all the "prestige" they want.

Ill take the job.

Not everyone goes to law school for a high paying job, believe it or not. I'm not saying UNC would be -my- choice, I'm just assessing the available data.
Nicholasnickynic wrote: Also, response to 2x as many clerks despite a much smaller class? Do unc students also not like being federal clerks?
I will respond to this when you respond to my post about UNC having historically better job placement in the NLJ250 than Wake (see my last post (it was an edit)).
No need to respond, its just more proof that, as mentioned earlier, UNC is on the way out :wink:

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:55 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
icydash wrote:

Ill take the job.

Not everyone goes to law school for a high paying job, believe it or not. I'm not saying UNC would be -my- choice, I'm just assessing the available data.
No need to respond, its just more proof that, as mentioned earlier, UNC is on the way out :wink:
Lol this is really a dumb debate to have, since the OP isn't going to go to UNC.

truce.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:57 am

icydash wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
icydash wrote:

Ill take the job.

Lol this is really a dumb debate to have, since the OP isn't going to go to UNC.

truce.
LOL! I was just thinking that.

Sounds good to me. Its getting exhausting and I don't really care, and obviously its not helping OP. Nice debating with ya tho :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:01 am

No. Fight to the death.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:05 am

kalvano wrote:No. Fight to the death.
Yeah, I'm not going to bed tonight until someone starts making personal attacks against OS and is banned.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:05 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote: LOL! I was just thinking that.

Sounds good to me. Its getting exhausting and I don't really care, and obviously its not helping OP. Nice debating with ya tho :)
Haha you too.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:08 am

just loled :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:09 am

traehekat wrote:
Yeah, I'm not going to bed tonight until someone starts making personal attacks against OS and is banned.
loled again.

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:18 am

Poor OP has barely shown his face ITT after you guys demolished it with a debate that was irrelevant to his current situtation. Now if only PDaddy could come in here to fight the racism fight, this tread would be golden.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:05 am

Threepeat wrote:Poor OP has barely shown his face ITT after you guys demolished it with a debate that was irrelevant to his current situtation. Now if only PDaddy could come in here to fight the racism fight, this tread would be golden.
Well originally the poll was Wake VS UNC, so it made some sense...then half way through he found out he was waitlisted at UNC and changed it to UGA instead.

enter_sandman

New

Post by enter_sandman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 am

icydash wrote:
Threepeat wrote:Poor OP has barely shown his face ITT after you guys demolished it with a debate that was irrelevant to his current situtation. Now if only PDaddy could come in here to fight the racism fight, this tread would be golden.
Well originally the poll was Wake VS UNC, so it made some sense...then half way through he found out he was waitlisted at UNC and changed it to UGA instead.

Did you even check the poll before? It was UNC vs. WFU vs. UGA. All three were there. So it was not just completely changed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:31 am

It seemed like the right thing to do at the time. :P

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 am

enter_sandman wrote:
icydash wrote:

Did you even check the poll before? It was UNC vs. WFU vs. UGA. All three were there. So it was not just completely changed.
Whoops no I didn't check it before. I see that you just recently edited your original post to take UNC out of the picture. This thread was more fun for me when I was delusional to the fact that UNC was originally part of the discussion and I didn't think the debate was warranted. I started reading this thread because UGA was involved and I've been considering them. Sorry for derailing the thread further.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 am

Threepeat wrote:
enter_sandman wrote:
icydash wrote:

Whoops no I didn't check it before. I see that you just recently edited your original post to take UNC out of the picture. This thread was more fun for me when I was delusional to the fact that UNC was originally part of the discussion and I didn't think the debate was warranted. I started reading this thread because UGA was involved and I've been considering them. Sorry for derailing the thread further.
Hey! This thread is still full of win!

placencia

New

Post by placencia » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:55 am

I think something that many people really are ignoring is the most important question, which is which school will train you to become the best attorney, and which will actually prepare you best for the world afterwards. I know that a lot of people talk about rankings and job opportunities and the network and other things, but there are many factors that play into that. For one, Wake Forest is a small program, with a class size of about 150 or so, and UGA is about a hundred more. That means that you're looking at a difference of about 40% in the number of people who can be part of the post graduate "network" that UGA has. The biggest reason that UNC probably has such a good network and you see so many people in jobs in NC from there is because they have a class size of 400. That's almost the entire Wake law program.

They are both very good schools, but I think you have to think more about which one will prepare you best. Obviously you will get more personal attention and development at a small school, but a larger group will probably open up more opportunities, because they offer a larger diversity of programs and courses. Leaving UNC out of it, I can only speak to what I saw at Wake when I visited. They have two things that I thought would be very good in the long run. The first was their system of sharing notes. A student mentioned to me that most of the class outlines and notes are up on a universally accessible website so you don't have to spend all your time in class furiously copying. They are made by previous year's students, and each semester they are updated to reflect the best and most accurate notes.

You can sit there and actually engage in discussion and make your own notes in the margins, and I personally think that will allow you to be a better student, and also make studying much more efficient. I thought that would provide a great studying and learning advantage. The other was the very small class size and relationship with faculty. It seemed like the faculty were very easy to access and build relationships with, the same relationships that are going to be invaluable after law school is over in getting a job and building your own personal network.
Last edited by placencia on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”