T1 (well T2 now) Debt Free or Take the $ and run!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose? (Please read & leave a comment as well)

Cardozo - $108K debt
84%
Hofstra - $62K debt
16%

Total votes: 32

evilgenius

T1 (well T2 now) Debt Free or Take the $ and run!

Postby evilgenius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:05 pm

I thought my cycle was over, already made a deposit at Cardozo, but Hofstra just offered me a full tuition scholarship. Now I don't know what to do. I have less than a week to decide. I want to work in public interest - I'm most interested in civil rights and health law. But I'd also like the option of going into the private sector if I change my mind during law school. I'd like to graduate with as little debt as possible. Does Cardozo's rank outweigh the full tuition scholarship at Hofstra? Also does Hofstra's jump in the rankings mean anything - will it surpass Cardozo in the next few years? What should I do?

Edit: I just realized that I may have trouble getting a Grad Plus loan. If I got to Cardozo I will definitely need to take out a grad plus or private loan, but wont know for sure until July. If I go to Hofstra I'd be able to rely solely on Stafford loans. I edited the poll to take the debt into account. Please vote and leave comments. Thanks! :-)
Last edited by evilgenius on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evilgenius

Re: Please help me end my cycle- Cardozo $$ vs. Hofstra $$$

Postby evilgenius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Even if you don't have time to comment, please vote. Thanks :-)

johnnytall

Postby johnnytall » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:23 pm

I'd take Cardozo. $12,000 a year is super low tuition and yes, with both of these schools competing for the same New York market (and competing with a dozen other schools in the area), I would imagine the ranking of Cardozo would make a significant difference in your employment prospects. That noted, a debt free education from any school allows a freedom upon graduation that might be worth taking it from any school to some people...you are in a tough little situation.

JayTal

Postby JayTal » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Well...do you want to work in NYC or on Long Island? Hofstra is generally considered the 'Long Island' law school.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:29 pm

I would take Cardozo in this situation. I am happy to see they are giving more scholarships without strings attached. Neither school is amazing for biglaw placement, should you decide you do want to go in that direction, but Cardozo's placement seems to be consistently 2-3x Hofstra's placement. Cardozo also has the innocence project, and it is actually in Manhattan, which makes for a QoL win, if you are anything like me.

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:34 pm

Take any where but Hofstra. I don't want to be mean, but Hofstra is the good old boy network. Unless you live on Long Island and want to die there.

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was just seeing the dollar signs for a second. I do have major QoL concerns about Hofstra. Seems like there's consensus that Cardozo is worth $10K more per year.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Cardozo. You're going to go into COL debt anyhow, and the difference in tuition for the better school in the better place seems well worth it.

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:00 pm

I agree with Cardozo, provided you are able to find reasonable housing. I don't know if you live in NY already, but many people come here, take a studio for $1500 and blow a lot of money they didn't have to blow. So if you don't look for good rent, your COL could be sky high.

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:20 pm

andreea7 wrote:I agree with Cardozo, provided you are able to find reasonable housing. I don't know if you live in NY already, but many people come here, take a studio for $1500 and blow a lot of money they didn't have to blow. So if you don't look for good rent, your COL could be sky high.

Thanks for the advice. I already live in NYC and I have a great place - a three bedroom at $1100 in a nice part of Brooklyn. I never, ever plan on moving.

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:39 pm

as a long islander.. go with dozo =]

evilgenius

Re: T1 (well T2 now) Debt Free or Take the $ and run!

Postby evilgenius » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I added new info to the OP, and the poll. Basically, I dont know if I'll qualify for grad plus, and wont know until July. With Hofstra I wouldnt need a grad plus loan. With Cardozo, I would. Should this be a consideration?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”