University of Kansas (KU)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jeeptiger09

University of Kansas (KU)

Postby jeeptiger09 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:54 am

Can anyone give me any information about the University of Kansas? They offered me a solid scholarship, and while I have very little interest in practicing/being in KS, it's too much to simply ignore.

What is campus like? How is Lawrence? Career prospects?

Thanks in advance!

patrickd139

Re: University of Kansas (KU)

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:55 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:Can anyone give me any information about the University of Kansas? They offered me a solid scholarship, and while I have very little interest in practicing/being in KS, it's too much to simply ignore.

Thanks in advance!

Career prospects extend all the way to the borders of Kansas. Don't go there unless you want to practice in Kansas.

Chairman

Postby Chairman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:04 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:Can anyone give me any information about the University of Kansas? They offered me a solid scholarship, and while I have very little interest in practicing/being in KS, it's too much to simply ignore.

Thanks in advance!

Career prospects extend all the way to the borders of Kansas. Don't go there unless you want to practice in Kansas.

Not quite that bad...a KU degree will probably take you a hundred miles or so into Missouri :P

Really, if you don't intend to practice in KS, MO, IA, NE or OK, attending KU is probably going to be a tough proposition to justify. In addition, your scholarship likely carries a GPA requirement, no?

What are your career goals?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:06 pm

Chairman wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Not quite that bad...a KU degree will probably take you a hundred miles or so into Missouri :P

Really, if you don't intend to practice in KS, MO, IA, NE or OK, attending KU is probably going to be a tough proposition to justify. In addition, your scholarship likely carries a GPA requirement, no?

What are your career goals?

No self-respecting KU graduate would set foot in MO.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:10 pm

The KU degree travels very well to the Missouri side of Kansas City. So, it is incorrect to say that a KU degree limits you to only the state of Kansas. Having said that Lawrence is a great college town (liberal, nice but small downtown, etc): so if that is your sort of thing, you'll like the three years there. But it really depends on whether you can be happy living in living in Wichita or KC (or a few other towns) for your life after law school.

stnether

Postby stnether » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:12 pm

Congrats on your scholarship offer. KU has a very low tuition rate and does not give out very large scholarships, so you obviously impressed them quite a bit.

KU grads place very well in the state, but KU's regional prominence really is fairly limited to Kansas itself. The neighboring states have their own schools for in state firms (NU, OU, Mizzou, Colorado, and obviously Texas has numerous schools KU grads would have to compete with).

The Law facility isn't great, but I would say it is fine. It is located right next to Allen Fieldhouse, and the Law Students share a student lounge with the athletes. It is somewhat (purposefully) distanced from most of the undergrad departments on campus. Parking is tough to come by, and can add a lot of minutes if you are commuting and circling the campus looking for parking spaces.

Lawrence is a prototypical college town. It's bar and club scene are good, and good concerts come through the city too. There is a good mix of chain and local restaurants, and the whole town is definitely buzzing during home basketball and football games. Lawrence is also located about 40 minutes from Kansas City, so a short drive East provides more big city amenities and access to pro sports teams and all the shopping/eating/entertainment options you would want that Lawrence didn't accommodate.

I grew up in Kansas so I heard mostly how great KU is at everything. The downsides are that it is a very hilly campus, and when the weather gets bad (which it will every winter) that can make things harder than they need to be. Also, good housing options tend to get taken quickly, so if you make your decision soon be sure to do a thorough apartment search as early as possible.

The big firms in Kansas (Kansas City, Wichita) are loaded up with KU grads, and Washburn (Topeka Tier 4) grads who were on Law Review. These attorneys end up doing very well for themselves, and enjoy high end salaries and low cost of living in Kansas.

PM me if you have any specific questions. I also had a scholarship offer and made my final decision between KU and another school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”