Struggling to make decision, time running out, please help

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Arip9

Struggling to make decision, time running out, please help

Postby Arip9 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:12 am

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am seeking out advice from fellow law school applicants with more knowledge about the process and schools than me. Here is a little background.
I took the LSAT late (february 2010) and obviously this has hurt my chances because of the limited spaces due to rolling admission. I applied to a bunch of schools because of the wide range of possibilities stemming from the fact that I did not know my LSAT score and what schools would suit me.
I am a resident of Baltimore and as of now, the only schools that have accepted me are....Southwestern in LA, Syracuse, University of Baltimore, and Case Western Reserve (however I received a scholarship of $15,000) to case western. With all this being said, I am still waiting to hear back from other schools (both higher aptitude and lower). My predicament is that I dont know where and if I should put the deposits down. I already placed the $300 deposit for Bmore because I visited, liked it, and I am from the area and it is on the rise. I do not think I will for Syracuse or Southwestern as they are backups with expensive deposits and no real interest. I am however considering case western becase of the the scholarship and reasonably strong academic background.

I really would appreciate if you all could help me out in whether I should consider Case heavily and the pros and cons about it, same with Bmore, and if I should also proceed with cuse and southwestern, and if I should continue to wait for all the schools I applied to.

My scores are LSAT 160 and GPA 3.3. I applied to buncha state schools in mid west (Uminnesota, U of I, Indiana), also in south (UF) I applied to Cordoza and Brooklyn, MD, some pennsylvania schools (Temple, Villanova) Cali (loyola marymount), Colorado-Boulder, Chicago-Kent, UConn. Those are the main ones off top of my head.

Thank you very much for your time and advice it is much appreciated,

Ari

chango

Re: Struggling to make decision, time running out, please help

Postby chango » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Most (if not all) of the schools you've applied to are regional schools. So ask yourself where do you want to live and practice law? That answer will largely determine where you should go to law school.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:48 pm

chango wrote:Most (if not all) of the schools you've applied to are regional schools. So ask yourself where do you want to live and practice law? That answer will largely determine where you should go to law school.

This is a solid point. From any of these schools, most of your job opportunities are going to be local to your current school's state/region. Choosing based on geography can be a pretty wise choice, since you'll be there for not just the three years of law school but the first several years of your career (if not longer).

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:53 pm

If you want to stay in Baltimore, UB isn't too bad, though I hardly think they're "on the rise" in any quantifiable sense. Case offered you a scholarship, is the least regional (places well into NY and DC, with decent presence in Chi and LA) by far, and I think I'd recommend it over any other schools you'd likely get into with your LSAT and GPA (I'd bank you won't get into IUB, Min, UIUC, and Cardozo). I vote Case very strongly, though Temple is very solid too as long as you want to live in Philly (and you get in).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”