School going back on WRITTEN scholarship offer! HELP!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CanadianWolf

Re: School going back on WRITTEN scholarship offer! HELP!!!

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:07 am

At this stage the best course of action for you is to accept their $42,000 per year scholarship offer. Although it would have been so much nicer & neater if the school just sent the total offer all at once!

le_taon

Postby le_taon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:25 am

cannot believe that no one has considered that (a) the offer isn't really a binding offer, but an invitation which they're free to rescind at any point, and that (b) your check and deposit constitute an offer, which they're free to reject at any point?

what's interesting about all this is it sort of highlights that really, school matriculation seems like a very loose. as I recall the jurisprudence generally favors the schools on all this until money has changed hands.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:31 am

le_taon wrote:cannot believe that no one has considered that (a) the offer isn't really a binding offer, but an invitation which they're free to rescind at any point, and that (b) your check and deposit constitute an offer, which they're free to reject at any point?

what's interesting about all this is it sort of highlights that really, school matriculation seems like a very loose. as I recall the jurisprudence generally favors the schools on all this until money has changed hands.

Or maybe we have, but in the interests of going down the path more likely to succeed and showing that it still fails, there's no reason to even consider other paths that have absolutely no chance of success

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:40 am

You are not guilty of misleading the other school because you did not knowingly do so (I assume you sent it before receiving confirmation), and you also rightly sought confirmation, which resulted in the clarification and a mea culpa bonus in your scholarship. Should you notify the other school? Yes, you should. It would be nice of you and might even win you brownie points, as well as being ethically proper.

You are not entitled to anything from this and you got $2,000 out of it. Be happy, please. Yes, it is a major screw-up by the school, but you will gain absolutely nothing by pushing the issue. This should be obvious.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:44 am

memphisC wrote:I understand that by getting in touch with them I essentially entered into a renegotiation but my thought process was "either the email was a typo and I want to confirm that or the actual letter was a typo and they will get my email and adjust my scholarship to fit the letter" I never imagined they would go back on a written offer. I assumed that if I didn't contact them, I would be getting only a $10,000 scholarship come August and that I would then have to sue the law school that I was locked into (which is not something I am willing to do).

Here's where it gets complicated: before I got the email with them going back on the offer, I already sent a copy of the $20,000 offer to another school in an attempt to get a better offer from them. Is it on me to inform them of the change in my scholarship or should I just wait and hope they make me a decent offer?

BTW the exact wording of my email to them was : "I just wanted to say thank you so much for awarding me for the scholarship!... I got the actual letter in the mail today and it stated that I was being offered a Dean's Achievement Scholarship of $20,000. I just wanted to make sure that this is the correct figure as you said only $10,000 in your email." Don't know if that affects the debate or not.

So you weren't sure that if it was accurate but you sent it to another school anyway? Don't do stuff like that!

(I'm going to try to find the thread) I think it was Michigan - this cycle - where the student lied about a scholarship offer to negotiate, the school thought it seemed unusually high and checked - turned out that the school had not offered the scholarship at all and the Dean had to inform the ABA and the other schools involved and that student had all of their offers revoked and will NEVER PASS C&F and NEVER BE A LAWYER. This student had T14 numbers and could probably have taken a full ride or close to at a t-20 ffs. Don't screw up your life for a few grand.

Call the second school NOW TODAY RIGHT NOW and correct the mistake. You will burn so much good will with them if you wait, even if they believe you.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:21 pm

creatinganalt wrote:(I'm going to try to find the thread) I think it was Michigan - this cycle - where the student lied about a scholarship offer to negotiate, the school thought it seemed unusually high and checked - turned out that the school had not offered the scholarship at all and the Dean had to inform the ABA and the other schools involved and that student had all of their offers revoked and will NEVER PASS C&F and NEVER BE A LAWYER. This student had T14 numbers and could probably have taken a full ride or close to at a t-20 ffs. Don't screw up your life for a few grand.

Call the second school NOW TODAY RIGHT NOW and correct the mistake. You will burn so much good will with them if you wait, even if they believe you.

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=17

Publius

Postby Publius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:26 pm

nealric wrote:Offer, acceptance, consideration

That's all I'm going to say. The above is not legal advice.

I second this. Look up what qualifies as an acceptance of an offer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”