relatio btw USC and UCLA vs. relatio btw BC and BU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
imisscollege

Bronze

relatio btw USC and UCLA vs. relatio btw BC and BU

Post by imisscollege » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:58 pm

I was hoping start a discussion of how these schools which are close to each other in the rankings and in the same city compare to each other and how the UCLA/USC relationship compares to the BC/BU relationship

My initial impression is that BC and BU are generally considered very similar and UCLA is considered definitively better in virtually every way than USC. If this is true, it's interesting because BC and BU are somewhat further from each other according to USNWR. I was also under the impression that BC has more of a Boston "presence" than BU. Is that also the case with one of USC/UCLA?

What specific aspects of USNWR's formula separate these schools from each other?

dakatz

Gold

Re: relatio btw USC and UCLA vs. relatio btw BC and BU

Post by dakatz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:06 pm

BU and BC are nearly interchangeable, aside from their facilities and campuses. As far as job placement goes, they essentially match one another. BC has a bigger Boston presence because BC is typically where the "locals" went. The kids from Boston and the surrounding areas would go to BC and then stay in the area. Thus, BC's alumni network in Boston is stronger than BU's. BU, at all levels, tends to draw more people from further away. Thus, many of these people return home after graduation. So BU's national reach is actually a bit better than BC's. But these differences are marginal at best. They are both very similar, and very good schools.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Is one of USC/UCLA like that (locals go vs non-locals go)?

djgoldbe

Bronze

Post by djgoldbe » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:06 pm

imisscollege wrote:Is one of USC/UCLA like that (locals go vs non-locals go)?
I would say (I didn't look up numbers but attended USC) that UCLA has slightly more in-state students because of the tuition difference, but it definitely isn't some drastic difference. UCLA, out of the two, would seem to be more like BC in that it has more pull with the older generation since USC has been a relatively weaker school until the past 6-7 years. UCLA is also in a far more desirable place to live being in westwood. However, I would hazard to say that USC's alumni network is stronger and more useful to its grads due to the smaller size and stronger school culture. So, I guess in that respect USC is also like BC - so I don't think a straight up comparison works.

Honestly, if you are staying in LA (or even Cali) I don't think it makes any difference if you go to USC or UCLA besides quality of life/Cost of Attendance differences. If you want to leave Cali, go with UCLA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”