Loyola (LA) Scholarship 30% stipulation

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
General Tso

Re: Loyola (LA) Scholarship 30% stipulation

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:15 pm

didionye wrote:
swheat wrote:
didionye wrote:
Unfortunately negotiating does'nt really work with loyola. They are pretty stiff about these things.

they won't negotiate class rank, but they will up the $$$

So how do you go about getting them to increase your scholly?

Just politely ask if they can increase your offer. Threaten to attend UCLA if they don't. For me, I didn't even need to ask. Both USD and LLS kept increasing my offer without me saying a word to either of them. They will have more money free up later in the cycle. You will do yourself a major disservice by depositing early.

I am thinking anything less than a 90k offer from either of them is insufficient for your stats. I am assuming 3.5+ 167+ if you got into UCLA, is that correct? I was 3.8, 162 and got 81 and 84k from these 2 schools.

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:05 pm

I guess I just don't see why Loyola is worth the risk to you at that price. I don't know a whole lot about USD placement statistics, but I imagine a lot of their grads wind up in LA, especially if you do happen to be in the top of the class (as you seem to think you'd be at Loyola, and they're ranked about the same). At USD, you could be in the bottom 30% and still get that money. Whereas if you lose the scholly at Loyola, not only are your job prospects diminished, but you have more debt to pay back when you get out.

And if your statistics are so high above their median that you're very confident in being in the top 30%, then they should be giving you more money. Just send them a nice email along the lines of "I really like your school, but am concerned about debt, and I've been accepted at UCLA which is tempting.... I hope you'll consider me for additional funds if possible."

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 pm

fwaam wrote: I don't know a whole lot about USD placement statistics, but I imagine a lot of their grads wind up in LA,

get educated son
http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

Return to “Choosing a Law School”