Updated: Phoenix vs. New York vs. Maine

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you attend?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:55 pm

New York School of Law
16%
Phoenix School of Law
6%
University of Maine School of Law
77%

Total votes: 31

NicoTarquinio

Updated: Phoenix vs. New York vs. Maine

Postby NicoTarquinio » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:55 pm

So, because University of Maine didn't give me a single penny (even though I was accepted in November) I'm stuck between these two schools. Granted, they're not high-tier, but I have a week to decide and they're better than nothing. Where would you go, given the choice? Thanks for your time!

Phoenix School of Law
REGULAR TUITION:
$32,296
AWARD:
$15,000
I'D PAY:
$17,296
- Phoenix School of Law is a new school, but as of yet, it seems to be doing well when reviewed. It's bending over backwards to get me to go, and the cost of living is reasonable. But again, it IS a new school, and it's on the opposite side of the country, so I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with going there.

New York School of Law
REGULAR TUITION:
$44,850
AWARD:
$20,000
I'D PAY:
$24,850
- New York School of Law is in Manhattan, 4 hours away from where I am currently. I'd save on airfare, even if rent would be high. They've been around longer and are decently ranked, but NYLS students have a lot of competition from the other law schools in the area.

Seems like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

UPDATE: University of Maine gave me no scholarship, but I would attend for $29,970 as a New England resident. I added them to the poll just in case. Previous votes: 3 for Phoenix, 2 for New York.
Last edited by NicoTarquinio on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Veyron

Re: Two Schools of Law: Phoenix vs. New York

Postby Veyron » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Even best case you won't get a job at either out of the city/region where they are so go where you want to practice.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:59 pm

NicoTarquinio wrote:they're better than nothing

No, probably not.

That aside, if the Quaker spirit still moves you to attend law school, go to the market where there aren't 17 other feeder schools higher on the pecking order.

NicoTarquinio

Postby NicoTarquinio » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Okay, I wasn't asking for pessimism, but I appreciate the feedback all the same. I plan on transferring after my first year, anyway. It isn't always possible, and more improbable from a school like these, but I'd rather not be sitting on my ass for a year before the next application cycle.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Still go to Maine?

Please? For your own good.

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Maine's out of state, non-New England tuition is only $28k..........If you are considering NY Law at 24k you may as well go to Maine.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:08 pm

nealric wrote:Still go to Maine

+1 Maine is pretty and University of Maine is a good school in Maine. Remember the Maine. Maine.

NicoTarquinio

Postby NicoTarquinio » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Point taken! I've added Maine back to my considerations...hm. They're around the 100 spot on most lists (by a hair) but I guess I was discouraged by their lack of scholarship.

Oh, and I updated the poll as well, so those who wanted to vote Maine now have the option.

Thanks again, everyone--I appreciate your help so far and hopefully I can get a few more opinions before signing my life away for the next year.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:20 pm

I've met some PSOL students and they seemed pretty bright. The facilities are also very nice. They're in an office building downtown in a convenient part of town. Next to the new light rail, a couple good restaurants in walking distance.

I also know a legal recruiter at one of the largest law firms in town, and she said that the School has a very positive reception in the community. It's a new school and is on its way up. NYSOL is staying where it is. I don't know anything about Maine other than that I wouldn't want to live in Maine. I love Phoenix and our downtown is becoming a better place to live every day.

CmonSD

Re: Updated: Phoenix vs. New York vs. Maine

Postby CmonSD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:22 pm

I was accepted to Maine and really considered it. It seems like such a beautiful place to be and so much different than So Cal. Then I read about the 60+ inches of snow per year. Not my thing. But if you can handle that, Maine seems like a great choice.

thechecker

Postby thechecker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:23 pm

I would attend UMaine over PLS and NYLS. PLS has other near by competition and NYLS has way too much competition. If you don't mind living in Maine I say its a no brainer.

crm

Postby crm » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Maine. for sure.

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:24 pm

I think you should go for Maine. It has a solid rep in the northeast and its the only law school in the state - I'm sure you'll benefit from the local alumni base.

NYLS has a very poor reputation in NYC and there's lots of competition.

On Phoenix, I think that they are too new to take a risk. And IMO having no reputation is worse than having a bad one.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:28 pm

I've met some PSOL students and they seemed pretty bright. The facilities are also very nice. They're in an office building downtown in a convenient part of town. Next to the new light rail, a couple good restaurants in walking distance.

I met a PSOL student who had nothing but bad things to say. The curve is set so low that 1/2 the student body is one bad grade from getting kicked out. He also wasn't too impressed by the faculty. I just can't think of any justification to go there over a flagship state school.

Everyone has heard of a "University of" school and respects that it gives a reasonably good education. People who hear Phoenix will think you got your degree from an online school.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:34 pm

nealric wrote:

I met a PSOL student who had nothing but bad things to say. The curve is set so low that 1/2 the student body is one bad grade from getting kicked out. He also wasn't too impressed by the faculty. I just can't think of any justification to go there over a flagship state school.

Everyone has heard of a "University of" school and respects that it gives a reasonably good education. People who hear Phoenix will think you got your degree from an online school.

online degree +1

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Maine.

NYSL is expensive and so is NY. Even with that scholarship you'll be over 100k in debt and competing with every other better NY school, the rest of the T-14 people who want to go there and the non t-14 people who want to go there, lets just say 5-10 of the better students from schools 15 - 30.

Go to Maine, it's very nice. Get a job in Maine. If you really want to leave build up a resume and get out of maine.

I second the point about everyone thinking you went to an online school. even in Phoenix I would imagine you're getting scraps after UA, ASU and Texas students from AZ are done

NicoTarquinio

Postby NicoTarquinio » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:37 pm

quickquestionthanks:

I've lived in Maine for 4 years, attending a piss-poor private college, and although it's beautiful, I would be more than happy to see somewhere new--maybe because of my bias against the idiots at my campus here. I am a bit enamored with the idea of seeing a new city, and I really appreciate your insight. Thank you so much!

evilgenius:

Good point! I was actually thinking the same things myself before, so its nice to see it reaffirmed.

nealric:

That was probably some of the best reasoning I've heard thus far. When I first got an e-mail for a free application at Phoenix, I almost deleted it because I thought it was Phoenix Online spamming me again. Thanks! I like to hear the other side of it as well.

CmonSD and others:

Thanks a lot for your opinions! I think I've opened my eyes a bit to some new potential in Maine.

I'm so glad I made this forum post. All the feedback is helping me get a better perspective on things, aside from the most glaring one--that I wish I had gotten into better schools. But I'm making the best of it.

NicoTarquinio

Postby NicoTarquinio » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:40 pm

GordonBombay wrote:Maine.

NYSL is expensive and so is NY. Even with that scholarship you'll be over 100k in debt and competing with every other better NY school, the rest of the T-14 people who want to go there and the non t-14 people who want to go there, lets just say 5-10 of the better students from schools 15 - 30.

Go to Maine, it's very nice. Get a job in Maine. If you really want to leave build up a resume and get out of maine.

I second the point about everyone thinking you went to an online school. even in Phoenix I would imagine you're getting scraps after UA, ASU and Texas students from AZ are done

I wasn't even thinking of the competition in Arizona! Maybe I should establish myself here first--I already have a few contacts.

I wasn't expecting so many responses. I love this forum and have been lurking on it and all, but by nature I don't expect much. You all must be going through this too, I'm guessing. Or, at least at better schools lol.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Definitely Maine, especially if you like maple syrup.

NicoTarquinio

Postby NicoTarquinio » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:46 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:Definitely Maine, especially if you like maple syrup.

And flannel. And inbreeding.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:22 pm

holydonkey wrote:
nealric wrote:Still go to Maine

+1 Maine is pretty and University of Maine is a good school in Maine. Remember the Maine. Maine.

This actually made me laugh out loud, nicely done good sir.

In all seriousness, if you are absolutely not going to budge on retaking and waiting another year, go to Maine. The COL is very cheap in Maine, the city is actually beautiful, and it is the only school in the state so you have no competition (No one from Boston or NY is going to be looking for work in Maine so you are safe from any threats and t-14 for that matter). I heard the school is small and the alumni network all know eachother, you try cases in front of people you went to school with! Keep in mind that the chances of you leaving Maine to work for any half way decent job are literally slim to none, but if you are ok with living in Maine, the school is a wise choice both from a financial point of view and from a job prospects (Read: within the state) point of view. The internships will always be there too, just because there is zero competition. I think it is by far your best choice honestly, and even with your scholarships, by the time you factor in COL you will roughly pay the same at all three schools.

P.S. NYLS is a laughing stock.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:44 pm

NicoTarquinio wrote:I wasn't even thinking of the competition in Arizona! Maybe I should establish myself here first--I already have a few contacts.

Yeah, if you're from Maine, you should probably go there.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:48 pm

GordonBombay wrote:Maine.

ASU and U of A perhaps. Not many people from Texas work in Phoenix so you are realy in third position. Not a great choice but probably your best shot at some sort of legal employment out of the three (unless you want to practice in Maine).

NicoTarquinio

Postby NicoTarquinio » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Well, I think, then, that it boils down to Phoenix and Maine. It seems more than common consensus that NYLS is overpriced and more or less a laughingstock considering how it is positioned around much, much better law schools than it, and I agree that I would be better off paying less to go to other schools where I'd have more opportunities.

So here's the consensus:

Maine, as we've established, is near Portland, which is quaint, fun, and I'm very familiar with it. There is little to no competition here, and the prices of tuition and living are reasonable. It's a well-established school and has maintained its spot at the low end of the top 100 for some time now.

The downsides are that I may not want to live in Maine forever, and my opportunities would solely be in this area. In addition, I'm not particularly fond of the people I've met in the universities here. I'm no Einstein, but I feel smart next to my graduating class.

Phoenix is situated in a large and beautiful city, and apparently in a very livable neighborhood. The price they have offered me is very nice, and the cost of living there seems just as manageable as Maine. As of yet, the graduating classes have a 97% bar passage rate, and respectable employment rates as well.

However, Phoenix is a new school, and not only would its name not be recognized by employers, but its reputation is not established and thus, going to the school would be an uncomfortable prospect. Little information exists about it as far as I've been able to find, and I'd be unable to visit in person--nor will I be able to before Friday, the deposit date for Maine.

I suppose my mind will probably be further made up as of tomorrow, when I go to Maine's Open House.

Again, I'd like to thank everyone here. I've made much progress toward my decision, which will likely be UMaine. And perhaps from there, I'll be looking to transfer to somewhere better next year, if the opportunity presents itself.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:58 pm

^ One thing to add before you make your decision. Don't assume that PCOL has no name recognition. Phoenix area only has two law schools, I assure you that everyone in the legal field in the city knows about PCOL. However DO NOT go there unless you are comfortable making a career in the Phoenix area, the school enjoys no name recognition or respect outside of AZ.

Good luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”