JD + LLM International Law or JD + MA IR?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jd-

JD + LLM International Law or JD + MA IR?

Postby jd- » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:07 pm

Wondering what the best combination would be. I have narrowed down some possibles.

I have staked at several programs, all in Chicago that I think I have a chance at...

I would like to practice International Law, possibly for a foreign firm or organization.

I am not sure the best path at that...

I have looked at

DePaul International Law + International Law LLM or DePaul Law + MA International Relations (has study abroad)

Loyola Law + MA International Relations (has study abroad)

Northwestern Law + International Humanitarian Law LLM (has study abroad)

They are all 4 year programs...

Also I am coming from an IT Career, 29... need to make a switch to something where I earn more money plus actually have an interest in... and want to do it right.

Would these all lead to the similar path assuming I have a choice of which programs I Can get into?

Is the MA or LLM even necessary ?

I'd like to stay mostly in Chicago but wouldn't mind a job that requires travel or extensive stays London, NYC, DC, Brussels, Geneva, Paris. Or likewise working for a foreign consulate centered in Chicago.

I think U Chicago is out of my league. Not interested in Kent, or John Marshall nor relocating to a different city unless it is an international law LLM in Europe, which could be a better idea???.

nealric

Re: JD + LLM International Law or JD + MA IR?

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:17 pm

LLMs that are not in tax are 1000% pointless.

Go to Northwestern. It's the only one that would give you a reasonable chance of achieving your goal.

jd-

Postby jd- » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:35 pm

hrrmmm so is it t14 or bust, or just that loy/dep are too low ranked to have much clout for the top jobs?

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:38 pm

hrrmmm so is it t14 or bust, or just that loy/dep are too low ranked to have much clout for the top jobs?

It's just that international law (although this is a very nebulous term) is a very tough field to get a foothold in. You could theoretically get such a job from any school, but your chances go way up from a top one.

jd-

Postby jd- » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Yeah I know and have seen lots of interest in it and it is a bit ambiguous. I have done quite a bit of work however for nfp organizations overseas, particularly Nigeria, and I would like to make a bigger effect. I have connections with two Kennedy School grads there who are fairly high up in Gov. But for what I want to do Law might not even be necessary. IT skills can only go so far though... especially when many of people I have worked with have never used a computer.

jd-

Postby jd- » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Yeah I suppose I should opt for more T14 options... out of those which I think I could get in would be UVA/Georgetown and Cornell, all that are good in international law, and I suppose it would only be 3 years. Thing is I would still want to go back to Chicago to work if possible and not sure how well those place there over say Loyola.. I looked at Cornell and its only placing 6% in the midwest. Again I wouldn't turn my head at NYC or somewhere in Europe but not really feeling living in DC. I guess it is a little different for somebody older who already knows where they would be happy living and well established contacts.

Postby 174 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”