Texas vs. UIUC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Texas vs. UIUC

UT $$
76%
UIUC $$
24%

Total votes: 33

jcgolf88

New

Texas vs. UIUC

Post by jcgolf88 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:06 pm

So here's the deal. I'll be graduating from UIUC this spring, and I've really enjoyed my last four years in Champaign. Obviously I would never want to work here, but I like the town and would not mind spending another 3 years here. Most of my family lives in Chicago, and although I'm not taking a Chicago or bust attitude, I would like to practice there after law school. On the other hand, I visited UT during the ASW and really liked it. I have a decent amount of family in Texas, and I don't think I would mind working in Houston or Dallas. My concern is that without top 10% grades at UIUC, I'll be shut out of Chicago BigLaw due to it's competition with NW, UChicago, Michigan etc... It seems that since Texas doesn't compete with as many top-14 schools as UIUC, lower grades will still allow me to secure a BigLaw job in Houston, Dallas, or Austin. Both schools offered me the same amount of money. So basically, I think I'll be happier at U of I, although this isn't a certainty, and I will most likely have better career opportunities out of UT. Help me
Last edited by jcgolf88 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Silver

Re: Texas vs. UIUC

Post by de5igual » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:27 pm

i voted for UT because:
jcgolf88 wrote:Texas doesn't compete with as many top-14 schools as UIUC, lower grades will still allow me to secure a BigLaw job in Houston, Dallas, or Austin. Both schools offered me the same amount of money.
and if you do well enough, the degree can take you back to Chicago.

solrac84

New

Post by solrac84 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:54 pm

UIUC has a strong pull in Chicago. You don't see too many UT lawyers in Chicago as you do Illinois. Choose where you want to practice more. Go there.

solrac84

New

Post by solrac84 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Just so you know. I go to UIUC. 2L. Barely outside the top third this semester. I got a job in NY and LA this summer. It was not a job I received because of personal connections. Both opportunities came from UIUC Alumni.

I've also heard bad things about the Texas legal writing program.

My 2 cents.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:20 pm

After spending undergrad at UT I have found out it is hard to have a bad time here (the summer heat is bad though). It is a nice place, but maybe some more insight into why you would be happier at UIUC would help to see if you would enjoy Texas too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:06 am

If you want biglaw then either take UT and plan to practice in Texas or get into NU for Chicago biglaw. On the other hand, if you would prefer to live in Chicago with or without biglaw, then go to UIUC (but recognize that odds are great that you'll end up at a smaller firm in less desirable practice areas such as divorce and shitty pay, if anything at all).

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:57 pm

solrac84 wrote:Just so you know. I go to UIUC. 2L. Barely outside the top third this semester. I got a job in NY and LA this summer. It was not a job I received because of personal connections. Both opportunities came from UIUC Alumni.

I've also heard bad things about the Texas legal writing program.

My 2 cents.
If the bad things you've heard are related to that article that was posted on ATL, as a UT student, I can tell you that the writing program at UT is fine. It should not be considered as a "con" in your decision.

jcgolf88

New

Post by jcgolf88 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:45 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I know I will enjoy UIUC because I went here for undergrad and loved it, a lot of my friends will still be here for athletics, law school, or finishing up UG, it's close to home, and my girlfriend will be in Chicago for the next two years. I'm sure I would like Texas, I'm just nervous that the degree won't allow me to come back to Chicago if that's what I ultimately decide I want to do.

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:06 pm

Best of Luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”