How to negotiate with Columbia?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

How should I negotiate with Columbia?

Tell them about 75k at NYU before I receive my award info
5
38%
Try to get Chicago to match NYU, and tell CLS before receiving award info
1
8%
Wait until they give an award, and then negotiate as necessary
7
54%
 
Total votes: 13

pissantvache
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:37 pm

How to negotiate with Columbia?

Postby pissantvache » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:23 am

So I've received 75k at NYU and 60k at Chicago, and am still awaiting my letter at CLS. What I'd like to know is how should I go about trying to wrangle more money out of CLS (given my perception that they're generally a little bit more reticent than NYU is). I think I prefer CLS to NYU given what I learned at the ASDs (I haven't visited Chicago yet, but will this weekend), but money will play a significant role in the decision.

My stats are 3.8 and 177, so based on LSN, it looks like I narrowly missed out on Butler territory. So how should I go about getting the most money I can out of these schools? I see 3 options:

1. Tell CLS about NYU only before I get my award--which, I think, Sogui did; he received 47k from them
2. Try to get Chicago to match NYU this weekend, and then, barring a letter from CLS, tell them about NYU AND Chicago
3. Wait until CLS gives an award and then negotiate as necessary, using NYU as leverage

I guess my question is, would I be in a stronger position preempting their award (and allowing them to calculate how much less they should offer), or waiting for them to make an offer, which could be higher than 50k or so?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
ShibaDan
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:34 am

Re: How to negotiate with Columbia?

Postby ShibaDan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:31 am

pissantvache wrote:So I've received 75k at NYU and 60k at Chicago, and am still awaiting my letter at CLS. What I'd like to know is how should I go about trying to wrangle more money out of CLS (given my perception that they're generally a little bit more reticent than NYU is). I think I prefer CLS to NYU given what I learned at the ASDs (I haven't visited Chicago yet, but will this weekend), but money will play a significant role in the decision.

My stats are 3.8 and 177, so based on LSN, it looks like I narrowly missed out on Butler territory. So how should I go about getting the most money I can out of these schools? I see 3 options:

1. Tell CLS about NYU only before I get my award--which, I think, Sogui did; he received 47k from them
2. Try to get Chicago to match NYU this weekend, and then, barring a letter from CLS, tell them about NYU AND Chicago
3. Wait until CLS gives an award and then negotiate as necessary, using NYU as leverage

I guess my question is, would I be in a stronger position preempting their award (and allowing them to calculate how much less they should offer), or waiting for them to make an offer, which could be higher than 50k or so?


I hate you. Seriously, congrats though! I'd wait and see what happens and then negotiate as necessary.

User avatar
x47point6
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: How to negotiate with Columbia?

Postby x47point6 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:06 am

Negotiate soon and negotiate often. Telling them pre-award notification buys you an additional legitimate chance to negotiate.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests