University of Washington or Vanderbilt with more debt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

University of Washington 80k debt
48%
Vanderbilt: 145k debt
52%

Total votes: 27

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:36 am

My situation is that I live in Washington, and thus could have a lot less debt by going to the UW. Estimates of my debt are 80k for UW and 145k for Vanderbilt. I would be happy practicing in Seattle, but am not sure what kind of law I want to practice or where I want to practice. Thoughts?

PDaddy

Re: University of Washington or Vanderbilt with more debt

Postby PDaddy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:50 am

From Vandy, it's possible to work in NY, ATL, D.C. and a few other places, not to mention Tennessee, if you decide to. From UW, your primary markets by far are Seattle and Portland, and there's little access to major markets. It is possible to get into other markets, but it will take much legwork and some strong grades. UW grads have been know to work in L.A. and S.F. recently.

Vandy is the better law school because it offers more programs ands may provide more varied professional opportunities. On the flip-side, the UW Law dominates its own market (along w/T14 schools) and is part of a very underrated university overall. UW UG is a consensus top-10 public university nationally but can be argued as a top-5. The grad programs there are also nationally aclaimed. The UW is one of the nation's top research universities, with the #1 primary care medical school (#7 medical research) and top Environmental and IP Law programs, as well as a top forestry program. Vandy is also a top research university with a top medical school.

Both campuses are absolutely stunning, and both Nashville and Seattle have excellent music scenes. But Seattle is arguably the most beautiful city in the country and provides a wider variety of cultural activities. Moreover, Seattle is the ideal place to raise children and has five of the nation's best high schools. On top of that, the UW sports department is ranked in the top #15 overall, and its football team is expected to compete for Rose Bowls and national championships in the near future.

Seattle's pro sports scene is also much better than Nashville's, with MLB, MLS, NFL, WNBA, an NHL team coming and the NBA to hopefully return within the next 5-7 years.

It comes down to whether you know you want to be in Seattle, which is a good legal market with at least 10 of the nation's best firms, or go to Nashville for three years and wind up in ATL, D.C. or NY.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:57 am

PDaddy wrote:From Vandy, it's possible to work in NY, ATL, D.C. and a few other places, not to mention Tennessee, if you decide to. From UW, your primary markets by far are Seattle and Portland, and there's little access to major markets. It is possible to get into other markets, but it will take much legwork and some strong grades. UW grads have been know to work in L.A. and S.F. recently.

Vandy is the better law school because it offers more programs ands may provide more varied professional opportunities. On the flip-side, the UW Law dominates its own market (along w/T14 schools) and is part of a very underrated university overall. UW UG is a consensus top-10 public university nationally but can be argued as a top-5. The grad programs there are also nationally aclaimed. The UW is one of the nation's top research universities, with the #1 primary care medical school (#7 medical research) and top Environmental and IP Law programs, as well as a top forestry program. Vandy is also a top research university with a top medical school.

Both campuses are absolutely stunning, and both Nashville and Seattle have excellent music scenes. But Seattle is arguably the most beautiful city in the country and provides a wider variety of cultural activities. Moreover, Seattle is the ideal place to raise children and has five of the nation's best high schools. On top of that, the UW sports department is ranked in the top #15 overall, and its football team is expected to compete for Rose Bowls and national championships in the near future.

Seattle's pro sports scene is also much better than Nashville's, with MLB, MLS, NFL, WNBA, an NHL team coming and the NBA to hopefully return within the next 5-7 years.

It comes down to whether you know you want to be in Seattle, which is a good legal market with at least 10 of the nation's best firms, or go to Nashville for three years and wind up in ATL, D.C. or NY.

+1 I agree with this poster, she is correct.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Thank you very much for your reply PDaddy! It was helpful. Anyone else have additional advice?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Vandy and don't ever look back. UW doesn't place as well as you might think, even though it's the best school in the PNW.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:30 pm

PDaddy wrote:From Vandy, it's possible to work in NY, ATL, D.C. and a few other places, not to mention Tennessee, if you decide to. From UW, your primary markets by far are Seattle and Portland, and there's little access to major markets. It is possible to get into other markets, but it will take much legwork and some strong grades. UW grads have been know to work in L.A. and S.F. recently.

+ 1, very good analysis.

OP, you should really think about whether you have any regional preferences and base your decision on that. Vandy will give you better access to the major east coast cities but if you want to be in the west, even CA, I don't think Vandy would give you much if any advantage, and probably wouldn't be worth the extra cost. Also if you are unfamiliar with the area visit Vandy and Nashville before making your decision to make sure it is someplace you would be happy spending three years.
Last edited by jcl2 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Go the school that has Jake Locker and Nick Montana. Woof Woof!

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Cavalier wrote:Go the school that has Jake Locker and Nick Montana. Woof Woof!

This is actually what I think too, I was trying to be unbiased in my last post.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:06 pm

jcl2 wrote:

Seriously though, if I didn't get into a T14 school I would have gone to UW. I went there for undergrad.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Cavalier wrote:
jcl2 wrote:

Seriously though, if I didn't get into a T14 school I would have gone to UW. I went there for undergrad.

Yeah, the only schools I personally would have chosen over UW would have been YHS and probably Berkeley, but I have a really strong desire to stay in the NW for law school and afterward (family, friends, wife's career, etc).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”