How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sophie316
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby sophie316 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Everyone I know that is at/went to HLS hated it and their fellow students. I'd rather be happy at a T10 than miserable at Harvard.

Also don't you remember that episode of Sex and the City where Miranda scared off every guy she went on a date with after they learned she went to HLS. She eventually got one to stick around by lying that she was a stewardess. Chicks may dig HLS guys but men are scared of HLS women, so sayeth SatC....

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Unemployed wrote:
That's funny - Harvard is one of only two schools in the T14 where African Americans outnumber Asians. At most other T14s, Asians far outnumber African Americans. This probably speaks volumes about Harvard's appeal to the African American community (it may or may not say something about their aversion to Asians).


Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that Harvard doesn't have great appeal to blacks. I am saying that it isn't held above other schools the way it is among whites. It just doesn't mean that much.

The fact that blacks overwhelmingly pick Harvard over T14 schools says that black law students understand Harvard's appeal to white employers, which is not unimportant by any means. But in the black community, a black law student can tell Ms. Jones from down the street that he got into Harvard or that he got into Duke...or Howard...or Emory...or Tulane, and he will get the same responses for all of the schools. Similarly, a black graduate can do the same with black employers. The BET, UNITECH, OMNITECH Systems, InScope Solutions, etc....they don't give a hang what school a black graduate went to. They want to see some "per-4-monce"!

But, yeah, nobody can completely ignore Harvard. It would be one of my favorite schools, of course. But there are others I could see picking over it. Stanford is my favorite b/c it's like going to school at a resort. Are you kidding me? lol.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby Borhas » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:17 pm

dutchstriker wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:There's about a 90 percent chance I'm going to turn down Harvard for a school not named Yale or Stanford. Sometimes it really comes down to what you want instead of what impresses other people.

What if what I want is to impress other people?


killself

everybody wins

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby hellokitty » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Well, I haven't read through the entire thread but I would probably turn it down (if I had HLS numbers) based on location alone. I don't think I could ever live anywhere with real seasons. That being said, I would probably only go if I didn't get into any of my top choices and for some random reason HLS just decided to accept me AND throw some money my way. It would be something to think about, but I've honestly never even thought about going there.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:24 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
This seems odd--I know plenty of black people and their families who think Harvard is bar none the best....


They are like everyone else. They understand the doors the name opens. And they are also accepting what they are told. Many people rate things they have only heard or read about but never experienced. But for a successful black law graduate, those doors are going to open anyways. If I have a choice between a top black graduate from Harvard and a top black graduate from, say Georgetown, what do I care about the names of the schools?

Both students have fought incredible odds to get to where they are. And I might even be a bit concerned about the attitudes the Harvard grad has adopted, having been in the Harvard environment. That would almost make me more suspicious of the Harvard grad, and I might want him to be more extensively vetted. Call it the "H Minus Effect"...it happens to all Harvard grads.

mike7174
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby mike7174 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 pm

sophie316 wrote:Everyone I know that is at/went to HLS hated it and their fellow students. I'd rather be happy at a T10 than miserable at Harvard.

Also don't you remember that episode of Sex and the City where Miranda scared off every guy she went on a date with after they learned she went to HLS. She eventually got one to stick around by lying that she was a stewardess. Chicks may dig HLS guys but men are scared of HLS women, so sayeth SatC....


http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2002/ ... -bomb-its/

Definitely true. But for guys, it's golden.

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 pm

PDaddy wrote:Both students have fought incredible odds to get to where they are. And I might even be a bit concerned about the attitudes the Harvard grad has adopted, having been in the Harvard environment. That would almost make me more suspicious of the Harvard grad, and I might want him to be more extensively vetted. Call it the "H Minus Effect"...it happens to all Harvard grads.


Is this the reason for their poor employment statistics, especially ITE?

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:35 pm

PDaddy wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
This seems odd--I know plenty of black people and their families who think Harvard is bar none the best....


They are like everyone else. They understand the doors the name opens. And they are also accepting what they are told. Many people rate things they have only heard or read about but never experienced. But for a successful black law graduate, those doors are going to open anyways. If I have a choice between a top black graduate from Harvard and a top black graduate from, say Georgetown, what do I care about the names of the schools?

Both students have fought incredible odds to get to where they are. And I might even be a bit concerned about the attitudes the Harvard grad has adopted, having been in the Harvard environment. That would almost make me more suspicious of the Harvard grad, and I might want him to be more extensively vetted. Call it the "H Minus Effect"...it happens to all Harvard grads.


D. H2Oman wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:You just keep getting dumber.

User avatar
dutchstriker
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby dutchstriker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:35 pm

Borhas wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:There's about a 90 percent chance I'm going to turn down Harvard for a school not named Yale or Stanford. Sometimes it really comes down to what you want instead of what impresses other people.

What if what I want is to impress other people?


killself

everybody wins

Committing suicide impresses people? News to me.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:37 pm

If OP looked like me, he wouldn't need Harvard. :wink:

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby 20121109 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:43 pm

PDaddy wrote:If OP looked like me, he wouldn't need Harvard. :wink:


Is there a reason why you keep changing your profile pic? They certainly don't look like the same person...


OP, I agree. I would take Harvard over any school.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:44 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
PDaddy wrote:If OP looked like me, he wouldn't need Harvard. :wink:


Is there a reason why you keep changing your profile pic? They certainly don't look like the same person...


OP, I agree. I would take Harvard over any school.



Was thinking this, scandal?????

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby 20121109 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
PDaddy wrote:If OP looked like me, he wouldn't need Harvard. :wink:


Is there a reason why you keep changing your profile pic? They certainly don't look like the same person...


OP, I agree. I would take Harvard over any school.



Was thinking this, scandal?????



Could be...or maybe he is just that good looking that he can switch it up whenever he likes. My dear Waterman, did you not know that he is a model?!!!

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
PDaddy wrote:If OP looked like me, he wouldn't need Harvard. :wink:


Is there a reason why you keep changing your profile pic? They certainly don't look like the same person...


OP, I agree. I would take Harvard over any school.



Was thinking this, scandal?????



Could be...or maybe he is just that good looking that he can switch it up whenever he likes. My dear Waterman, did you not know that he is a model?!!!


I mean the current version of him is pretty good looking









for a black guy

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby 20121109 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:00 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Was thinking this, scandal?????



Could be...or maybe he is just that good looking that he can switch it up whenever he likes. My dear Waterman, did you not know that he is a model?!!!


I mean the current version of him is pretty good looking









for a black guy


180

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby stratocophic » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:58 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Was thinking this, scandal?????



Could be...or maybe he is just that good looking that he can switch it up whenever he likes. My dear Waterman, did you not know that he is a model?!!!


I mean the current version of him is pretty good looking









for a black guy


180

Oh, man. Speaking of H-bombs, DW just went straight up nukular.

User avatar
ChildPlease
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby ChildPlease » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:29 am

mike7174 wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:so, have you decided between Harvard and Stanford yet?


Yeah, Harvard without a doubt.

How did this guy get into Harvard?

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby Borhas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:53 am

dutchstriker wrote:Committing suicide impresses people? News to me.


hell yeah, you just have to do it right
preferable method is killdozer Rampage (RIP Marvin)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24n77GgRtrw


impress people=win for /selfer
one less attention whore= win for everybody else

mike7174
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby mike7174 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:13 pm

I mean, I suppose it’s shallow of me to place such a heavy emphasis on lay prestige, but hey, it makes a difference. Like why would somebody pick a Toyota over a Mercedes, or a Lexus over a Bentley? I’m not suggesting that Harvard is a Mercedes/Bentley and Stanford and Yale are Toyotas/Lexus’, but you get my point. People do a lot of things to show off: buy nice cars, homes, clothes, watches…why not pick a school that will allow you to show off a little more when you’re picking between schools that are extraordinarily similar in quality/job prospects? I guess that’s my whole point.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby stratocophic » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:16 pm

mike7174 wrote:I mean, I suppose it’s shallow of me to place such a heavy emphasis on lay prestige, but hey, it makes a difference. Like why would somebody pick a Toyota over a Mercedes, or a Lexus over a Bentley? I’m not suggesting that Harvard is a Mercedes/Bentley and Stanford and Yale are Toyotas/Lexus’, but you get my point. People do a lot of things to show off: buy nice cars, homes, clothes, watches…why not pick a school that will allow you to show off a little more when you’re picking between schools that are extraordinarily similar in quality/job prospects? I guess that’s my whole point.
Correct me if I'm missing something, but why not just go to Yale, steal a Biglaw gig from a Harvard grad by foregoing a clerkship, then buy the Bentley for the purpose of showing off?

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:39 pm

stratocophic wrote:
mike7174 wrote:I mean, I suppose it’s shallow of me to place such a heavy emphasis on lay prestige, but hey, it makes a difference. Like why would somebody pick a Toyota over a Mercedes, or a Lexus over a Bentley? I’m not suggesting that Harvard is a Mercedes/Bentley and Stanford and Yale are Toyotas/Lexus’, but you get my point. People do a lot of things to show off: buy nice cars, homes, clothes, watches…why not pick a school that will allow you to show off a little more when you’re picking between schools that are extraordinarily similar in quality/job prospects? I guess that’s my whole point.
Correct me if I'm missing something, but why not just go to Yale, steal a Biglaw gig from a Harvard grad by foregoing a clerkship, then buy the Bentley for the purpose of showing off?


Or better-yet, get a clerkship, and then go to biglaw + a bonus for the clerkship. Then buy an ostentatious car.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby stratocophic » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:52 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
mike7174 wrote:I mean, I suppose it’s shallow of me to place such a heavy emphasis on lay prestige, but hey, it makes a difference. Like why would somebody pick a Toyota over a Mercedes, or a Lexus over a Bentley? I’m not suggesting that Harvard is a Mercedes/Bentley and Stanford and Yale are Toyotas/Lexus’, but you get my point. People do a lot of things to show off: buy nice cars, homes, clothes, watches…why not pick a school that will allow you to show off a little more when you’re picking between schools that are extraordinarily similar in quality/job prospects? I guess that’s my whole point.
Correct me if I'm missing something, but why not just go to Yale, steal a Biglaw gig from a Harvard grad by foregoing a clerkship, then buy the Bentley for the purpose of showing off?


Or better-yet, get a clerkship, and then go to biglaw + a bonus for the clerkship. Then buy an ostentatious car.

MF'in credited.

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:57 pm

PDaddy wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
This seems odd--I know plenty of black people and their families who think Harvard is bar none the best....


They are like everyone else. They understand the doors the name opens. And they are also accepting what they are told. Many people rate things they have only heard or read about but never experienced. But for a successful black law graduate, those doors are going to open anyways. If I have a choice between a top black graduate from Harvard and a top black graduate from, say Georgetown, what do I care about the names of the schools?

Both students have fought incredible odds to get to where they are. And I might even be a bit concerned about the attitudes the Harvard grad has adopted, having been in the Harvard environment. That would almost make me more suspicious of the Harvard grad, and I might want him to be more extensively vetted. Call it the "H Minus Effect"...it happens to all Harvard grads.


Unless I'm missing something, I don't think this helps your argument or hurts mine.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:21 pm

:P
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Case2L
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:05 pm

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby Case2L » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:28 pm

I turned down THAT Harvard because it just seemed too pretentious.

Besides, The Harvard of Cleveland > The Harvard of Cambridge any day of the week.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dannyswo and 1 guest