Page 2 of 10

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:15 pm
by r6_philly
dutchstriker wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:There's about a 90 percent chance I'm going to turn down Harvard for a school not named Yale or Stanford. Sometimes it really comes down to what you want instead of what impresses other people.

What if what I want is to impress other people?


Then you tell them you turned down Harvard.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:15 pm
by ConMan345
cardnal124 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:I don't know; having gone to a "name-brand" school for undergrad, a lot of people actually react negatively, or awkwardly (middle-aged moms with high school-aged kids are the worst--they usually react with this air of "what do you have that my kid doesn't?" I had one mom call me stupid for picking the major I did.). I usually just say that I went to school in XYZ State. I actually expect the reactions to HLS, if I go, to be more negative and perhaps more frequent.


To be fair, English is a stupid major. I mean I can speak it good and I didn't major in it.


Touche.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:17 pm
by Mattalones
r6_philly wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:There's about a 90 percent chance I'm going to turn down Harvard for a school not named Yale or Stanford. Sometimes it really comes down to what you want instead of what impresses other people.

What if what I want is to impress other people?


Then you tell them you turned down Harvard.

... for a BETTER school (i.e. Yale)! Duh!

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:17 pm
by awesomepossum
dutchstriker wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:There's about a 90 percent chance I'm going to turn down Harvard for a school not named Yale or Stanford. Sometimes it really comes down to what you want instead of what impresses other people.

What if what I want is to impress other people?


then law school is probably not for you. if you're smart enough to get into a law school that impresses people, you're smart enough to do something far more impressive.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:27 pm
by mike7174
ConMan345 wrote:I don't know; having gone to a "name-brand" school for undergrad, a lot of people actually react negatively, or awkwardly (middle-aged moms with high school-aged kids are the worst--they usually react with this air of "what do you have that my kid doesn't?" I had one mom call me stupid for picking the major I did.). I usually just say that I went to school in XYZ State. I actually expect the reactions to HLS, if I go, to be more negative and perhaps more frequent.


I can understand getting those reactions from most people (esp., like you said, moms/dads with similar-aged kids), but other than that, I think most people are simply shocked/in awe as soon as they hear the name. They automatically think you’re a genius. And if you’re a guy trying to impress a member of the opposite sex, well, then there is probably not a single school in the world (including medical schools, business schools, etc.) that gets more prestige than Harvard Law, and women just love it.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:29 pm
by Cactus
mike7174 wrote:
Cactus wrote:Congratulations on finally garnering serious interest from the ladies. Enjoy it now, because it won't impress the slam pieces nearly as much in Cambridge.


Don’t worry, I’d been garnering their interest even before Harvard. Dropping the H-bomb at frat parties just makes it even easier.


Oh, I could definitely see that. I imagine adding the H-bomb to the arsenal is the culinary equivalent of being upgraded from a sous-chef to the Iron Chef of pounding vag.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:30 pm
by sfdreaming09
Cactus wrote:
mike7174 wrote:
Cactus wrote:Congratulations on finally garnering serious interest from the ladies. Enjoy it now, because it won't impress the slam pieces nearly as much in Cambridge.


Don’t worry, I’d been garnering their interest even before Harvard. Dropping the H-bomb at frat parties just makes it even easier.


Oh, I could definitely see that. I imagine adding the H-bomb to the arsenal is the culinary equivalent of being upgraded from a sous-chef to the Iron Chef of pounding vag.


hahahahah wow

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:31 pm
by Mattalones
Cactus wrote:
mike7174 wrote:
Cactus wrote:Congratulations on finally garnering serious interest from the ladies. Enjoy it now, because it won't impress the slam pieces nearly as much in Cambridge.


Don’t worry, I’d been garnering their interest even before Harvard. Dropping the H-bomb at frat parties just makes it even easier.


Oh, I could definitely see that. I imagine adding the H-bomb to the arsenal is the culinary equivalent of being upgraded from a sous-chef to the Iron Chef of pounding vag.

What I like about this post is that it is totally something that I could picture your tar saying on The Office :lol:

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:32 pm
by Dignan
mike7174 wrote:Seriously how does ANYBODY get into HARVARD LAW SCHOOL and then go somewhere else? I know Yale is considered better in many specialties and that Stanford is considered on par by most standards, but, honestly, how the hell do you turn down the prestige of Harvard?

Seriously? I mean, why do people turn down the "prestige" of Georgetown to attend NYU? Because prestige is a minor factor for many people.

Obviously, prestige is extremely important--indeed, supremely important--to you. That's cool. Others, however, care about different things. Some care about a career in academia (where Yale places twice as many graduates, as measured by a percentage of its class, as Harvard). Others care about financial security, so they pick a lower-ranked T14 school with a full scholarship instead of paying full price at Harvard. And others much prefer the smaller class sizes of Yale, Stanford, and even the University of Chicago. (To some, Harvard feels a bit like a diploma mill, albeit a prestigious one.)

I think Harvard is a great law school and it's neat that you're into it, but can you really not see why someone else would feel differently?

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:36 pm
by Flanker1067
Hamiltons?

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:37 pm
by Drummingreg
Sounds like the OP would save 6 figures by just buying a Harvard Law hoodie.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 pm
by thickfreakness
Hope you stay in BigLaw after you get out of HLS, because those women that only gave you a look after you got into HLS will be gone quickly if you don't bring home that BigLaw paycheck for them to spend.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 pm
by Mattalones
Flanker1067 wrote:Hamiltons?

Yeah, I was confused about this too. Is it the name of a prestigious scholarship or are you just saying that in referencer to the 10$ bill he is on to mean "lots of money?"

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:41 pm
by Flanker1067
Mattalones wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:Hamiltons?

Yeah, I was confused about this too. Is it the name of a prestigious scholarship or are you just saying that in referencer to the 10$ bill he is on to mean "lots of money?"


Hmm, I meant the scholarship, in answer to the question. I just can't see how referencing a 10$ bill would work here.

Add: Obviously I have no money or I would know where the $ goes.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:47 pm
by CanadianWolf
Many have turned down Harvard Law because their primary interest in attending law school was not prestige. For one wishing to practice law in Los Angeles, for example, UCLA & USC are great choices. Same for Dallas or Houston and the University of Texas School of Law. The University of Alabama School of Law might be a better choice for one intending to practice in Mobile or Birmingham; certainly there will be more familiarity with the state's judiciary. If interested in practicing law in Manhatten, then Columbia or NYU might be better choices. Those seeking a career in IP law might select Stanford or Berkeley over Harvard Law School.
Beyond the first two or, possibly, three years of practicing law, few care about which law school an attorney attended. When I did a large firm clerkship the Harvard Law students were not the top interns with respect to legal skills & certainly were not the most skilled socially.
It is easy to understand law students seeking judicial clerkships selecting Yale or Stanford over Harvard Law. Others seeking to increase chances for making law review might select a law school other than Harvard.
Not sure whether the original post was in jest as I've read some fairly misinformed posts on this site. Perhaps this thread should have been placed on the "unfunny jokes" thread.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:50 pm
by Nihilist
CanadianWolf wrote:Many have turned down Harvard Law because their primary interest in attending law school was not prestige. For one wishing to practice law in Los Angeles, for example, UCLA & USC are great choices. Same for Dallas or Houston and the University of Texas School of Law. The University of Alabama School of Law might be a better choice for one intending to practice in Mobile or Birmingham; certainly there will be more familiarity with the state's judiciary. If interested in practicing law in Manhatten, then Columbia or NYU might be better choices. Those seeking a career in IP law might select Stanford or Berkeley over Harvard Law School.
Beyond the first two or, possibly, three years of practicing law, few care about which law school an attorney attended. When I did a large firm clerkship the Harvard Law students were not the top interns with respect to legal skills & certainly were not the most skilled socially.



How dare you impugn the social skills of the OP. Sounds like he clearly has it all figured out...

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:53 pm
by soullesswonder
Cactus wrote:
mike7174 wrote:
Cactus wrote:Congratulations on finally garnering serious interest from the ladies. Enjoy it now, because it won't impress the slam pieces nearly as much in Cambridge.


Don’t worry, I’d been garnering their interest even before Harvard. Dropping the H-bomb at frat parties just makes it even easier.


Oh, I could definitely see that. I imagine adding the H-bomb to the arsenal is the culinary equivalent of being upgraded from a sous-chef to the Iron Chef of pounding vag.


nice Superbad reference

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:54 pm
by AtticusFinch
cardnal124 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:I don't know; having gone to a "name-brand" school for undergrad, a lot of people actually react negatively, or awkwardly (middle-aged moms with high school-aged kids are the worst--they usually react with this air of "what do you have that my kid doesn't?" I had one mom call me stupid for picking the major I did.). I usually just say that I went to school in XYZ State. I actually expect the reactions to HLS, if I go, to be more negative and perhaps more frequent.


To be fair, English is a stupid major. I mean I can speak it good and I didn't major in it.


I hope that's subtle sarcasm.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:55 pm
by BioEBear2010
AtticusFinch wrote:
cardnal124 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:I don't know; having gone to a "name-brand" school for undergrad, a lot of people actually react negatively, or awkwardly (middle-aged moms with high school-aged kids are the worst--they usually react with this air of "what do you have that my kid doesn't?" I had one mom call me stupid for picking the major I did.). I usually just say that I went to school in XYZ State. I actually expect the reactions to HLS, if I go, to be more negative and perhaps more frequent.


To be fair, English is a stupid major. I mean I can speak it good and I didn't major in it.


I hope that's subtle sarcasm.

Cardnal puts the b in subtle.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:00 pm
by pugalicious
Mattalones wrote:
Cactus wrote:
mike7174 wrote:
Cactus wrote:Congratulations on finally garnering serious interest from the ladies. Enjoy it now, because it won't impress the slam pieces nearly as much in Cambridge.


Don’t worry, I’d been garnering their interest even before Harvard. Dropping the H-bomb at frat parties just makes it even easier.


Oh, I could definitely see that. I imagine adding the H-bomb to the arsenal is the culinary equivalent of being upgraded from a sous-chef to the Iron Chef of pounding vag.

What I like about this post is that it is totally something that I could picture your tar saying on The Office :lol:


I love how boys think that just by throwing around a school name, they soon will be "pounding [more] vag." It couldn't have anything to do with a newfound confidence and the, "I'm going to Harvard when I graduate" conversation starter (where they previously would have stood silently by the beer keg, hoping to pick some girl up by offering to pump it for her). No. Women only like shiny things. : )

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:02 pm
by APimpNamedSlickback
is op an APNS alt?

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:04 pm
by dutchstriker
pugalicious wrote:
Mattalones wrote:
Cactus wrote:Oh, I could definitely see that. I imagine adding the H-bomb to the arsenal is the culinary equivalent of being upgraded from a sous-chef to the Iron Chef of pounding vag.

What I like about this post is that it is totally something that I could picture your tar saying on The Office :lol:


I love how boys think that just by throwing around a school name, they soon will be "pounding [more] vag." It couldn't have anything to do with a newfound confidence and the, "I'm going to Harvard when I graduate" conversation starter (where they previously would have stood silently by the beer keg, hoping to pick some girl up by offering to pump it for her). No. Women only like shiny things. : )

First girl I talked to after getting into Harvard Law asked me if I needed a trophy wife. QED.

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:08 pm
by lawyering
dutchstriker wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
Mattalones wrote:
Cactus wrote:Oh, I could definitely see that. I imagine adding the H-bomb to the arsenal is the culinary equivalent of being upgraded from a sous-chef to the Iron Chef of pounding vag.

What I like about this post is that it is totally something that I could picture your tar saying on The Office :lol:


I love how boys think that just by throwing around a school name, they soon will be "pounding [more] vag." It couldn't have anything to do with a newfound confidence and the, "I'm going to Harvard when I graduate" conversation starter (where they previously would have stood silently by the beer keg, hoping to pick some girl up by offering to pump it for her). No. Women only like shiny things. : )

First girl I talked to after getting into Harvard Law asked me if I needed a trophy wife. QED.


And that's when you told your mom that states have laws against that sort of thing, right? ;)

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 pm
by GordonBombay
Because their hockey team is garbage.


FLYING V ASSEMBLE!

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:12 pm
by pugalicious
dutchstriker wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
Mattalones wrote:
Cactus wrote:Oh, I could definitely see that. I imagine adding the H-bomb to the arsenal is the culinary equivalent of being upgraded from a sous-chef to the Iron Chef of pounding vag.

What I like about this post is that it is totally something that I could picture your tar saying on The Office :lol:


I love how boys think that just by throwing around a school name, they soon will be "pounding [more] vag." It couldn't have anything to do with a newfound confidence and the, "I'm going to Harvard when I graduate" conversation starter (where they previously would have stood silently by the beer keg, hoping to pick some girl up by offering to pump it for her). No. Women only like shiny things. : )

First girl I talked to after getting into Harvard Law asked me if I needed a trophy wife. QED.


Of course she did. You initiated a conversation about something that you feel is interesting (going to Harvard), and she said something witty but slightly sexual. It's called flirting. It's what people do when they aren't too busy being smart enough to get into Harvard. :P