How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yepyep

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby yepyep » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:35 am

jks289 wrote:Sometimes I feel bad that I wasn't good enough to get into Harvard, Stanford, or Yale. I think "if only I could join that special club." In the future, should that feeling ever strike, I will come and read this post. So, thank you sir, for that.

Awesome

yepyep

Postby yepyep » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:40 am

YSS wrote:totally agree with original poster

I actually got into Yale and wait-listed at Harvard. I'm taking another year off and trying again this cycle to get into HARVARD.

I could care less about any other school. Only HARVARD gives you instant world-wide credibility. Yale and Stanford are practically unknown to a vast proportion of people in America and abroad. Harvard is the only school EVERYONE knows.

I think your BSing, which shows how retarded I think this comment is. If you're not, you suck.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:46 am

I hope someone says something horrible and gets this thread locked. It keeps coming back.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:55 am

I would for one absolutely turn down Harvard Law.

I have always been a bit of a educational elitist. I cared a lot in high school, went to what i think is a great university etc etc. I now go to a t20 Law school and I feel like i hit the jackpot. I absolutely love it here. I havent seen teh idiotic gunning and self-righteous douches that you see at the harvards of the world. I get the idea that people have some sense of the world outside of higher education. There isnt the sense of im smarter than you, so I dont need to talk to you bullshit. I feel very comfortable here as opposed to jarringly competitive. I also really like small town midwest stuff. I dont know why, I would never have expected it coming from nyc, but its nothing short of incredible. I enjoy striking up conversations with the lady at the dry cleaners, or the doorman, and i dont feel like im wasting their time here.

To be fair, its week 1 and everyone has their pretty faces on, so maybe this will all change, but as of right now, if I finish top 5% of my class, I dont think I would transfer.

Im not saying this is for everyone. there are people who really define themselves by their educational background and anything less than a harvard degree is anywhere from mildly frustrating to highly disappointing. I am not that person and I would take this comfortable and confident version of myself over the nervous wreck i was in undergrad.

also i didnt have the grades to get into harvard, so this is a bit of a non-issue. but at this junction, if I did, id be happy i chose not to go.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am

nyyankees wrote:I would for one absolutely turn down Harvard Law.

I have always been a bit of a educational elitist. I cared a lot in high school, went to what i think is a great university etc etc. I now go to WashU Law (admittedly a great but not elite school, by tls standards) and I feel like i hit the jackpot. I absolutely love it here. I havent seen teh idiotic gunning and self-righteous douches that you see at the harvards of the world. I get the idea that people have some sense of the world outside of higher education. There isnt the sense of im smarter than you, so I dont need to talk to you bullshit. I feel very comfortable here as opposed to jarringly competitive. I also really like small town midwest stuff. I dont know why, I would never have expected it coming from nyc, but its nothing short of incredible. I enjoy striking up conversations with the lady at the dry cleaners, or the doorman, and i dont feel like im wasting their time here.

To be fair, its week 1 and everyone has their pretty faces on, so maybe this will all change, but as of right now, if I finish top 5% of my class, I dont think I would transfer.

Im not saying this is for everyone. there are people who really define themselves by their educational background and anything less than a harvard degree is anywhere from mildly frustrating to highly disappointing. I am not that person and I would take this comfortable and confident version of myself over the nervous wreck i was in undergrad.

I'm really hesitant to respond to this post because I want this thread to sink back into the muck from whence it came, but even if I don't post anything that seems unlikely to happen today.

My question Yankees is how are you drawing this comparison? It's great that you like WashU, but is there any foundation for your apparent dislike of Harvard? It seems based on this post that you have an image of Harvard in your head and that is what you are railing against, without ever having firsthand experience with HLS. Obviously OP is a tool, but it seems unwarranted to generalize about the school because you've seen a few supposed Harvard students act like morons on tls. Anyway, here's hoping that you keep having fun and feeling satisfied with your current law school.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:33 am

Stanford v. Harvard is easy. So people dont want to leave cali. and figure there careers wont be so hurt by going to Stanford.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:21 am

St.Remy wrote:
nyyankees wrote:I would for one absolutely turn down Harvard Law.

I have always been a bit of a educational elitist. I cared a lot in high school, went to what i think is a great university etc etc. I now go to WashU Law (admittedly a great but not elite school, by tls standards) and I feel like i hit the jackpot. I absolutely love it here. I havent seen teh idiotic gunning and self-righteous douches that you see at the harvards of the world. I get the idea that people have some sense of the world outside of higher education. There isnt the sense of im smarter than you, so I dont need to talk to you bullshit. I feel very comfortable here as opposed to jarringly competitive. I also really like small town midwest stuff. I dont know why, I would never have expected it coming from nyc, but its nothing short of incredible. I enjoy striking up conversations with the lady at the dry cleaners, or the doorman, and i dont feel like im wasting their time here.

I'm really hesitant to respond to this post because I want this thread to sink back into the muck from whence it came, but even if I don't post anything that seems unlikely to happen today.

My question Yankees is how are you drawing this comparison? It's great that you like WashU, but is there any foundation for your apparent dislike of Harvard? It seems based on this post that you have an image of Harvard in your head and that is what you are railing against, without ever having firsthand experience with HLS. Obviously OP is a tool, but it seems unwarranted to generalize about the school because you've seen a few supposed Harvard students act like morons on tls. Anyway, here's hoping that you keep having fun and feeling satisfied with your current law school.

PM'd

boyxxx666

Postby boyxxx666 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:05 am

voice of reason wrote:Going to Harvard is like driving a Mercedes and wearing a Rolex. Sure it's nice, but it's boring and conventional as can be. Stanford is just as good (especially for bay area placement), and Yale is better. And Stanford is nicer.

Who cares graduate with honors from UVA up to Yale and you can get any job you want... To ME it is what you do after get a job with the legal dept at Goldman Sachs that is what I want that I feel trumps any stinkin top 3 school UVA TEXAS even lowly George Mason can get me there!!!

Gc12

Postby Gc12 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:12 am

Because life isn't all about prestige, and living as if it is will make you miserable. My priorities regarding law school are to start a profitable and fulfilling career, but also to become part of a community of people whom I am comfortable with, challenged by in a healthy way, and whose company I enjoy. This community will hopefully be lifelong friends and more -- many people even meet their spouses in law school.

When I read ask a student threads here, law-school profiles, and threads in which prospective students discuss their plans, hopes, dreams, etc., it becomes clear to me that I would fit in better and be more comfortable at some schools than others.

If I could tell Harvard wouldn't be a good fit for me, I wouldn't want to go there. I am also unlikely to go to the absolute highest-ranked school I could get into, which is fine with me. It is worth mentioning that I'm 30; when I was 22-23, thinking this way wouldn't have been quite as easy for me.

P.S. A friend of mine who is one of the smartest (and nicest) guys I know scored in the 99th percentile on the LSAT, had a 3.8 gpa, and went to a T2 where he loved the atmosphere, in the area where he wanted to live and work; he's glad he made that decision to this day.
Last edited by Gc12 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:15 am

mike7174 wrote: Never mind the fact that chicks LOVE the sound of Harvard Law. I’m not kidding when I say that girls who wouldn’t give me a chance just a few months ago are now seriously interested.

Op; I'm happy that she will finally give you a fair chance:

It was wrong of her and her other hot friends to ignore you before you had the BIG H on your resume. Congrats bro.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:52 pm

I think I'd take $$$ at Columbia over sticker at Harvard. If I had that choice. If I get into either school, I'm paying sticker in which case it's just a matter of which one I like better (I like NYC better than Boston which factors into this).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:56 pm

People get into Yale, or they get a scholarship offer at another school that makes that school more appealing than Harvard, or people just prefer another school and understand that Harvard isn't the alpha and omega of law schools.

Also,
--ImageRemoved--

Talon

Postby Talon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:23 pm

I won't deny that being able to drop the H-bomb is very appealing, but there are plenty of other factors (scholarships, location, collegiality, and so forth) that could easily cause one to turn down Harvard. I certainly would have gotten in as a transfer student, and yet the thought of transferring didn't even cross my mind. I guess I don't need people to be impressed with me in order to feel good about myself.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:55 pm

how is this thread still alive? It's just begging for a Buseywall

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:06 am

This was and is still a bad thread.

The thing I don't get is that Y and S exist... I mean it's meant to be a toss-up in general. Don't see how H is the only amazing law school, not to mention the rest of the T14 as possible faves.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:16 am

Talon wrote:Image
I guess I don't need people to be impressed with me in order to feel good about myself.

We can tell.

pearla

Postby pearla » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:40 am

Great Satchmo wrote:
mike7174 wrote:Seriously how does ANYBODY get into HARVARD LAW SCHOOL and them go somewhere else? I know Yale is considered better in many specialties and that Stanford is considered on par by most standards, but, honestly, how the hell do you turn down the prestige of Harvard?

I’m not joking. When I tell people that I’ve got into both Stanford and Harvard, every single person looks at me with a puzzled look and says, “would you really go somewhere other than Harvard?” Never mind the fact that chicks LOVE the sound of Harvard Law. I’m not kidding when I say that girls who wouldn’t give me a chance just a few months ago are now seriously interested.

I mean I would understand turning down Harvard for Yale (or Stanford) if the difference was substantial, but since it’s so small (and in Stanford’s case, probably nonexistent), I'm seriously curious how the heck do people turn down Harvard Law? Even though I want to practice in CA (and probably the SF Bay Area) after graduation, there is no way in hell I could turn down Harvard.

I'd pick Yale over Harvard and Stanford, and I'd pick Stanford over Harvard.

However, luckily for me, I'll never have to make such a difficult decision...

:lol: Made my day...

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:49 am

pearla wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:
mike7174 wrote:Seriously how does ANYBODY get into HARVARD LAW SCHOOL and them go somewhere else? I know Yale is considered better in many specialties and that Stanford is considered on par by most standards, but, honestly, how the hell do you turn down the prestige of Harvard?

I’m not joking. When I tell people that I’ve got into both Stanford and Harvard, every single person looks at me with a puzzled look and says, “would you really go somewhere other than Harvard?” Never mind the fact that chicks LOVE the sound of Harvard Law. I’m not kidding when I say that girls who wouldn’t give me a chance just a few months ago are now seriously interested.

I mean I would understand turning down Harvard for Yale (or Stanford) if the difference was substantial, but since it’s so small (and in Stanford’s case, probably nonexistent), I'm seriously curious how the heck do people turn down Harvard Law? Even though I want to practice in CA (and probably the SF Bay Area) after graduation, there is no way in hell I could turn down Harvard.

I'd pick Yale over Harvard and Stanford, and I'd pick Stanford over Harvard.

However, luckily for me, I'll never have to make such a difficult decision...

:lol: Made my day...

Can't this horrible thread just die?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:50 am

Dat diluted faculty.

armenazo

Postby armenazo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 am

--
Last edited by armenazo on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:55 am

Sweet necro brah.
Also, Boston is a fucking turgid shit-hole.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:29 pm

I'd take Stanford over Harvard any day. But then again, I care more about my own happiness than impressing random people.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”