How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:So, you want to leave your "better job" for a mediocre law job? Your consciously do not want to get the best possible job, you just want to go to school for three years to feel you accomplished something? Am I missing something here?

Life is not about "jobs" ... nor is it about "feelings" about accomplishing something. I don't know if you are missing something, your goal/aim in life is just different than mine, that's all. I am not going to law school for job prospects, I want to do/accomplish somethings that will require legal training and me being a lawyer. It isn't about money however. Just to qualify that, I do need to make a good living to support my family and live comfortably, but I don't need to go to law school for that.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:14 pm

I would turn down Harvard for Stanford and would turn down Yale for both Harvard and Stanford.. maybe even for UChicago.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:43 pm

U Chicago is a miserable experience. why would you turn down YHSC for it?

DustyfootPhilospher

Postby DustyfootPhilospher » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:57 am

Simple.

Harvard= World renowned amazing law school that provides limitless options in butt freezing cold.

Stanford= World renowned amazing law school that provides limitless options in Paradise.

There ya go.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:06 am

Voyager wrote:U Chicago is a miserable experience. Why would you turn down YHSC for it?

Is U-Chicago a miserable experience? I have heard that there are at least a few teachers and students chose it over Haaavaad? Some academics and professionals (people who have been around longer than any of us) think U-Chicago is the best law school in the country...yes, over HYS. If you go there, you are really into the academic experience of studying law. I imagine U-Chicago to be a lot like Yale, except more conservative. I don't know if it would be my cup of tea, and people know that I think Yale is slightly overrated. But no one can deny that U-Chicago kicks serious ass from a quality of education standpoint. If you want fun and entertainment, see the city, or transfer after 1L.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:42 am

r6_philly wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:So, you want to leave your "better job" for a mediocre law job? Your consciously do not want to get the best possible job, you just want to go to school for three years to feel you accomplished something? Am I missing something here?

Life is not about "jobs" ... nor is it about "feelings" about accomplishing something. I don't know if you are missing something, your goal/aim in life is just different than mine, that's all. I am not going to law school for job prospects, I want to do/accomplish somethings that will require legal training and me being a lawyer. It isn't about money however. Just to qualify that, I do need to make a good living to support my family and live comfortably, but I don't need to go to law school for that.

Thats what I was missing... naive outlook on life.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Voyager wrote:U Chicago is a miserable experience. why would you turn down YHSC for it?

I would be a grad student so the "place where fun goes to die" thing doesnt bothering me as much as it did when I was applying to undergrads. Plus, I really dont want to work/live in the northeast. I wouldnt turn down Harvard or Stanford for Chicago but because of the location of Yale I would have to consider it. I have a SO who might be moving with me and New Haven would be miserable for her. All are amazing schools and I think the differences between the 4 job/education wise are far, far overblown.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:43 am

Patriot1208 wrote:Thats what I was missing... naive outlook on life.

How is that naive. For you maybe, for me, no. I have already lived and experienced more pain, joy and accomplishment than most people do in two life times (plus many more that people won't get to experience at all), and I can honest say now I know what I want to do.

Read my last posts in the Yale thread, then tell me my outlook on life is naive. Fortunately I don't need to convince you, since you are the one missing the picture. I have it, and it is all too real. I am blessed to be one who is truly happy and at peace with the purpose of my life. I wish you will have the fortune to one day see it, it would make your life worth living.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Bump

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:38 pm

jr1886 wrote:Bump

mvp

Postby mvp » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:42 pm

Three words: New York City!

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:48 pm

DustyfootPhilospher wrote:Simple.

Harvard= World renowned amazing law school that provides limitless options in butt freezing cold.

Stanford= World renowned amazing law school that provides limitless options in Paradise.

There ya go.

Honestly, what is it with people getting squeamish about a little snow?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Wait. Is the 148 to 170 guy a flame?

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 pm

ITT: People who got into Harvard surreptitiously gloat about it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:18 pm

I think the funniest thing is the OP makes a post about going to Harvard's ASW and rants about how the people there were a bunch of douches and then he proceeds to make this thread a few days later.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 pm

2ofspades wrote:

There ya go.

Honestly, what is it with people getting squeamish about a little snow?

Good question. I lived in Massachusetts for years. Cambridge is gorgeous (most of it), with lots to do. The weather's manageable.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:30 am

There ya go.

HEY! Some of us actually like the butt-freezing cold!

Ok maybe that's just me.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:39 am

clintonius wrote:

Wait. Is the 148 to 170 guy a flame?

I thought this thread is hilarious and I would like to see the back and forth continue which explain my bump. Lighten up

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Someone please put this thread down.

YSS

Postby YSS » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:29 pm

totally agree with original poster

I actually got into Yale and wait-listed at Harvard. I'm taking another year off and trying again this cycle to get into HARVARD.

I could care less about any other school. Only HARVARD gives you instant world-wide credibility. Yale and Stanford are practically unknown to a vast proportion of people in America and abroad. Harvard is the only school EVERYONE knows.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Yeah...so I guess we're not really dealing with any ego or insecurity issues at all then. Okay.

vyelps

Postby vyelps » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:47 pm

wow, this is really stupid, even for the internet.

utopian_grrl

Postby utopian_grrl » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:09 pm

I wouldn't particularly look forward to going to school in New England, but because of the respectability, I'll have to apply and accept if admitted. IMO Harvard, Yale, (and to a personally lesser extent) Stanford have this invisible thread that involuntarily makes people - even those opposed to nepotism and not particularly pretentious - stop and seriously consider going there.

I'm wishing (odds greatly in my favor) that I do get rejected at Harvard and Stanford in order to unbiasedly be able to select a location and setting where I'd actually enjoy to studying.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:41 pm

utopian_grrl wrote:I wouldn't particularly look forward to going to school in New England, but because of the respectability, I'll have to apply and accept if admitted. IMO Harvard, Yale, (and to a personally lesser extent) Stanford have this invisible thread that involuntarily makes people - even those opposed to nepotism and not particularly pretentious - stop and seriously consider going there.

I'm wishing (odds greatly in my favor) that I do get rejected at Harvard and Stanford in order to unbiasedly be able to select a location and setting where I'd actually enjoy to studying.

lolwut

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Voyager wrote:U Chicago is a miserable experience. why would you turn down YHSC for it?

Not that you'd know, of course, since you don't go here.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”