How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mike7174

New

How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Post by mike7174 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Seriously how does ANYBODY get into HARVARD LAW SCHOOL and then go somewhere else? I know Yale is considered better in many specialties and that Stanford is considered on par by most standards, but, honestly, how the hell do you turn down the prestige of Harvard?

I’m not joking. When I tell people that I’ve got into both Stanford and Harvard, every single person looks at me with a puzzled look and says, “would you really go somewhere other than Harvard?” Never mind the fact that chicks LOVE the sound of Harvard Law. I’m not kidding when I say that girls who wouldn’t give me a chance just a few months ago are now seriously interested.

I mean I would understand turning down Harvard for Yale (or Stanford) if the difference was substantial, but since it’s so small (and in Stanford’s case, probably nonexistent), I'm seriously curious how the heck people turn down Harvard Law? Even though I want to practice in CA (and probably the SF Bay Area) after graduation, there is no way in hell I could turn down Harvard.
Last edited by mike7174 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

holborn

Bronze

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Post by holborn » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:34 pm

so, have you decided between Harvard and Stanford yet?

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Everyone's different.

Royal68

New

Post by Royal68 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Thats just wonderful

mike7174

New

Post by mike7174 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:34 pm

julesm2200 wrote:so, have you decided between Harvard and Stanford yet?
Yeah, Harvard without a doubt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:35 pm

mike7174 wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:so, have you decided between Harvard and Stanford yet?
Yeah, Harvard without a doubt.
sarcasm fail

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:36 pm

mike7174 wrote:Seriously how does ANYBODY get into HARVARD LAW SCHOOL and them go somewhere else? I know Yale is considered better in many specialties and that Stanford is considered on par by most standards, but, honestly, how the hell do you turn down the prestige of Harvard?

I’m not joking. When I tell people that I’ve got into both Stanford and Harvard, every single person looks at me with a puzzled look and says, “would you really go somewhere other than Harvard?” Never mind the fact that chicks LOVE the sound of Harvard Law. I’m not kidding when I say that girls who wouldn’t give me a chance just a few months ago are now seriously interested.

I mean I would understand turning down Harvard for Yale (or Stanford) if the difference was substantial, but since it’s so small (and in Stanford’s case, probably nonexistent), I'm seriously curious how the heck do people turn down Harvard Law? Even though I want to practice in CA (and probably the SF Bay Area) after graduation, there is no way in hell I could turn down Harvard.
I'd pick Yale over Harvard and Stanford, and I'd pick Stanford over Harvard.

However, luckily for me, I'll never have to make such a difficult decision...

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:36 pm

mike7174 wrote:Seriously how does ANYBODY get into HARVARD LAW SCHOOL and them go somewhere else? I know Yale is considered better in many specialties and that Stanford is considered on par by most standards, but, honestly, how the hell do you turn down the prestige of Harvard?

I mean I would understand turning down Harvard for Yale (or Stanford) if the difference was substantial, but since it’s so small (and in Stanford’s case, probably nonexistent), I'm seriously curious how the heck do people turn down Harvard Law? Even though I want to practice in CA (and probably the SF Bay Area) after graduation, there is no way in hell I could turn down Harvard.
You're right, even 51% of HLS students agree that Harvard is better than Yale, and being Harvard students, they know what they're talking about. As the article says, there's no inferiority complex in Cambridge. And why would there be?

--LinkRemoved--

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Sometimes I feel bad that I wasn't good enough to get into Harvard, Stanford, or Yale. I think "if only I could join that special club." In the future, should that feeling ever strike, I will come and read this post. So, thank you sir, for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:39 pm

mike7174 wrote:When I tell people that I’ve got into both Stanford and Harvard, every single person looks at me with a puzzled look and says, “would you really go somewhere other than Harvard?”
In my experience, these reactions are from folks who are not terribly familiar with the legal field. Plenty of people choose not to go to Harvard, and for good reasons.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:44 pm

There's about a 90 percent chance I'm going to turn down Harvard for a school not named Yale or Stanford. Sometimes it really comes down to what you want instead of what impresses other people.

voice of reason

Bronze

Post by voice of reason » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Going to Harvard is like driving a Mercedes and wearing a Rolex. Sure it's nice, but it's boring and conventional as can be. Stanford is just as good (especially for bay area placement), and Yale is better. And Stanford is nicer.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:47 pm

mike7174 wrote:Seriously how does ANYBODY get into HARVARD LAW SCHOOL and then go somewhere else? I know Yale is considered better in many specialties and that Stanford is considered on par by most standards, but, honestly, how the hell do you turn down the prestige of Harvard?

I mean I would understand turning down Harvard for Yale (or Stanford) if the difference was substantial, but since it’s so small (and in Stanford’s case, probably nonexistent), I'm seriously curious how the heck people turn down Harvard Law? Even though I want to practice in CA (and probably the SF Bay Area) after graduation, there is no way in hell I could turn down Harvard.
this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:48 pm

To answer your question:

1. You got into Yale (which is a better school and more prestigious. How do you not think so? Big Legally Blonde Fan?)
2. You got into a T10 with a lot of money
3. You got into Stanford and prefer it over Harvard (maybe you're from CA or want to practice in CA)
4. You have an SO or spouse that you don't want to leave behind

These are all completely legitimate reasons. Would I turn down Harvard? Almost certainly not. But there are excellent reasons for doing so.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Oh man if Harvard accepted me I'd go in a heartbeat. Why hasn't JR returned any of my calls or answered my scented letters?

Cactus

Bronze

Post by Cactus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Congratulations on finally garnering serious interest from the ladies. Enjoy it now, because it won't impress the slam pieces nearly as much in Cambridge.

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:58 pm

As much as I hate to admit it, the guy kinda has a point. I’ve never thought of myself as a prestige-obsessed person by any means, but after getting into the schools that I have during this cycle and hearing people’s reactions, it’s difficult not to get caught up in it all.

Although I’m most likely going to turn down Harvard for Stanford, I must admit that the prestige of Harvard is very, very tempting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Great Satchmo wrote: I'd pick Yale over Harvard and Stanford, and I'd pick Stanford over Harvard.

However, luckily for me, I'll never have to make such a difficult decision...
I hope I am not that lucky. In fact I know I am not that lucky :wink:

For OP: everyone has their own reasons. Yale has a lot more prestige over Harvard for certain things. Harvard doesn't do quite as much for you if you don't want to do big law. Better than a T10 still, but not over Yale and Stanford. Yale's COAP is much more appetizing as well for a poor person (who doesn't want to do big law).
Last edited by r6_philly on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike7174

New

Post by mike7174 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:04 pm

Cactus wrote:Congratulations on finally garnering serious interest from the ladies. Enjoy it now, because it won't impress the slam pieces nearly as much in Cambridge.
Don’t worry, I’d been garnering their interest even before Harvard. Dropping the H-bomb at frat parties just makes it even easier.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:05 pm

BU's guys are hotter.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:08 pm

I don't know; having gone to a "name-brand" school for undergrad, a lot of people actually react negatively, or awkwardly (middle-aged moms with high school-aged kids are the worst--they usually react with this air of "what do you have that my kid doesn't?" I had one mom call me stupid for picking the major I did.). I usually just say that I went to school in XYZ State. I actually expect the reactions to HLS, if I go, to be more negative and perhaps more frequent.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Boba Fett

New

Post by Boba Fett » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Cupidity wrote:BU's guys are hotter.
Heterosexuality FAIL

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:12 pm

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

cardnal124

Bronze

Post by cardnal124 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:13 pm

ConMan345 wrote:I don't know; having gone to a "name-brand" school for undergrad, a lot of people actually react negatively, or awkwardly (middle-aged moms with high school-aged kids are the worst--they usually react with this air of "what do you have that my kid doesn't?" I had one mom call me stupid for picking the major I did.). I usually just say that I went to school in XYZ State. I actually expect the reactions to HLS, if I go, to be more negative and perhaps more frequent.
To be fair, English is a stupid major. I mean I can speak it good and I didn't major in it.

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:13 pm

soullesswonder wrote:There's about a 90 percent chance I'm going to turn down Harvard for a school not named Yale or Stanford. Sometimes it really comes down to what you want instead of what impresses other people.
What if what I want is to impress other people?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”