How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pugalicious

Bronze

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Post by pugalicious » Mon May 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Cilent21 wrote:Ok, first off.. OP is obviously a troll and a ridiculous one at that. You can't see how anyone would turn down Harvard? You're an idiot.

Secondly, obviously I'd take Y over all, but I am 95% sure I would choose Stanford over Harvard if i got into both. Stanford is smaller, less pretentious, and much more beautiful than Harvard while offering very similar job prospects/opportunities
Really? I visited Stanford in High School and chose not to apply (for undergrad) because the school was ugly and the people were too pretentious. Is the law school different?

eh...I guess it's not important...just seem like rather arbitrary reasons to choose a school...

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Mon May 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Lol, y'all got trolled.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Everytime I see this thread I think "Yale /end thread"

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm

pugalicious wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:Ok, first off.. OP is obviously a troll and a ridiculous one at that. You can't see how anyone would turn down Harvard? You're an idiot.

Secondly, obviously I'd take Y over all, but I am 95% sure I would choose Stanford over Harvard if i got into both. Stanford is smaller, less pretentious, and much more beautiful than Harvard while offering very similar job prospects/opportunities
Really? I visited Stanford in High School and chose not to apply (for undergrad) because the school was ugly and the people were too pretentious. Is the law school different?

eh...I guess it's not important...just seem like rather arbitrary reasons to choose a school...
The law school is beautiful. And if you think the people there are pretentious, you should meet some Harvard people..

Not saying these are the main reasons to choose a law school over another one, but when the other important categories are crazy similar, these "arbitrary reasons" hold more weight

AlexisNexis

New

Post by AlexisNexis » Tue May 04, 2010 1:27 am

I can't easily imagine turning down Harvard, although I'll admit it's imaginable nonetheless. But hearing about the New England winters just *might* be enough to scare me into choosing Stanford. Good thing I don't have to make that decision, I guess! :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CCN

New

Post by CCN » Tue May 04, 2010 1:37 am

harvard law would definitely increase your chances at getting laid. op has a valid point. all who do not see this belong in yet another public outcry thread about gay discrimination instead.

mike7174

New

Post by mike7174 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:49 pm

mike7174

New

Post by mike7174 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:26 pm

any last thoughts before we let this thread die away?

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Mon May 24, 2010 2:32 pm

As a lot of other people have been saying... a decent percentage of people who also get into either Yale or Stanford.
I'd pick Yale over Harvard in a heartbeat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Mon May 24, 2010 2:33 pm

mike7174 wrote:any last thoughts before we let this thread die away?
IMHO this is just a ....... stupid thread topic. :oops: HLS is a great school but there are plenty of reasons to choose YLS, SLS, or -for personal reasons- just about any other school. Ranking-wise, SLS has alternated with HLS for #2. YLS is obviously el primo in that respect. Both of those schools are smaller and seem to be more enjoyable to attend. Then there's regional issues or fields of law specialties to take into account.

I can only see this thread serving as a vehicle for "pump me up about HLS!!!!!!!!! Yea!!"

mike7174

New

Post by mike7174 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:27 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
mike7174 wrote:any last thoughts before we let this thread die away?
IMHO this is just a ....... stupid thread topic. :oops: HLS is a great school but there are plenty of reasons to choose YLS, SLS, or -for personal reasons- just about any other school. Ranking-wise, SLS has alternated with HLS for #2. YLS is obviously el primo in that respect. Both of those schools are smaller and seem to be more enjoyable to attend. Then there's regional issues or fields of law specialties to take into account.

I can only see this thread serving as a vehicle for "pump me up about HLS!!!!!!!!! Yea!!"
No, although I am thrilled to be going to Harvard Law School, I'm just trying to get a substantive discussion going on the magificence that is Harvard Law. So I'll ask again, any last takers?

mike7174

New

Post by mike7174 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:41 am

bump

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:42 am

lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:52 am

mallard wrote:lol.
Seriously....what is your obsession with this thread, OP?

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:54 am

haha. i love the bump.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:55 am

People turn down Harvard for every other top-10 school every year. It's not an odd thing to do; in fact, it keeps things honest. What difference does it make if you really have talent? Harvard would not be my first choice...Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, UVA, and Chicago (not sure about Berkeley) would come before Harvard or Yale for me. It depends on your personal goals, priorities and confidence level.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:58 am

PDaddy wrote:People turn down Harvard for every other top-10 school every year. It's not an odd thing to do; in fact, it keeps things honest. What difference does it make if you really have talent? Harvard would not be my first choice...Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, UVA, and Chicago (not sure about Berkeley) would come before Harvard or Yale for me. It depends on your personal goals, priorities and confidence level.
So your saying your personal goal isn't to get the best possible job after law school? Or your not confident you would do well at Harvard?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:06 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Did you see eddie's back?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:21 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
So your saying your personal goal isn't to get the best possible job after law school? Or your not confident you would do well at Harvard?
First I love this thread.

Second, not everyone goes to law school to get the best job. That is not my goal as well. My current job is much better. I just want to accomplish something else, so I'd agree with OP to an extend, although I am not saying it will only take one certain school.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 am

r6_philly wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
First I love this thread.

Second, not everyone goes to law school to get the best job. That is not my goal as well. My current job is much better. I just want to accomplish something else, so I'd agree with OP to an extend, although I am not saying it will only take one certain school.
So, you want to leave your "better job" for a mediocre law job? Your consciously do not want to get the best possible job, you just want to go to school for three years to feel you accomplished something? Am I missing something here?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:49 am

mallard wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Did you see eddie's back?
I know this eddie character has quite a rep on TLS, but why? Fill in please. Link?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:05 pm

Because they didn't want to hang around name brand douches for 3 years?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:26 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:Because they didn't want to hang around name brand douches for 3 years?
Only people who say this are people who can't get in to brand name schools.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Not going to read all 8 pages so I may be retreading covered ground.

That said, I know two people who turned down Harvard. One for a full ride at NYU and another for a full ride at CLS.

Those seem like fair decisions ITE. Graduating with no debt (aside from liveing expenses) from CLS/NYU is a pretty sweet place to be.

On the other hand, if I had had those options (which I did not... paid sticker at CLS) I would have chosen Harvard.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:07 pm

mike7174 wrote:How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???
I know, it is so hard to keep a straight face when you do it. I find the trick is to make yourself think of something really tragic to counteract the impulse to laugh. Works like a charm.

Although turning down Harvard IS really funny, so that might not be powerful enough.

Sorry, could not resist.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”