How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Post by ZXCVBNM » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:13 pm

yale

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:14 pm

pugalicious wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:
pugalicious wrote:
Mattalones wrote: What I like about this post is that it is totally something that I could picture your tar saying on The Office :lol:
I love how boys think that just by throwing around a school name, they soon will be "pounding [more] vag." It couldn't have anything to do with a newfound confidence and the, "I'm going to Harvard when I graduate" conversation starter (where they previously would have stood silently by the beer keg, hoping to pick some girl up by offering to pump it for her). No. Women only like shiny things. : )
First girl I talked to after getting into Harvard Law asked me if I needed a trophy wife. QED.
Of course she did. You initiated a conversation about something that you feel is interesting (going to Harvard), and she said something witty but slightly sexual. It's called flirting. It's what people do when they aren't too busy being smart enough to get into Harvard. :P
But... QED.

OK, she did want me beforehand.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:14 pm

They send in a seat deposit somewhere else and withdraw from Harvard, all the while maintaining a serious demeanor.

Thats how they do it.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:16 pm

I love how boys think that just by throwing around a school name, they soon will be "pounding [more] vag." It couldn't have anything to do with a newfound confidence and the, "I'm going to Harvard when I graduate" conversation starter (where they previously would have stood silently by the beer keg, hoping to pick some girl up by offering to pump it for her). No. Women only like shiny things. : )[/quote]
First girl I talked to after getting into Harvard Law asked me if I needed a trophy wife. QED.[/quote]

Of course she did. You initiated a conversation about something that you feel is interesting (going to Harvard), and she said something witty but slightly sexual. It's called flirting. It's what people do when they aren't too busy being smart enough to get into Harvard. :P[/quote]

1. oooooooooooh you're totally right!
2. Should've said "no I need a sugar momma so I can get the fuck out of law school"
3. Or...Should've said "yes, and I think you might be her". If her mom is anything like her, the family's probably loaded. Her dad might even be able to give you a job if you don't just take over his firm/ company/ drink margarita's in the pool all day in a Billy Madison-esque dream life

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:06 pm

mike7174 wrote:Never mind the fact that chicks LOVE the sound of Harvard Law. I’m not kidding when I say that girls who wouldn’t give me a chance just a few months ago are now seriously interested.
mike7174 wrote:
Cactus wrote:Congratulations on finally garnering serious interest from the ladies. Enjoy it now, because it won't impress the slam pieces nearly as much in Cambridge.
Don’t worry, I’d been garnering their interest even before Harvard. Dropping the H-bomb at frat parties just makes it even easier.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:09 pm

mike7174 wrote:Seriously how does ANYBODY get into HARVARD LAW SCHOOL and then go somewhere else? I know Yale is considered better in many specialties and that Stanford is considered on par by most standards, but, honestly, how the hell do you turn down the prestige of Harvard?

I’m not joking. When I tell people that I’ve got into both Stanford and Harvard, every single person looks at me with a puzzled look and says, “would you really go somewhere other than Harvard?” Never mind the fact that chicks LOVE the sound of Harvard Law. I’m not kidding when I say that girls who wouldn’t give me a chance just a few months ago are now seriously interested.

I mean I would understand turning down Harvard for Yale (or Stanford) if the difference was substantial, but since it’s so small (and in Stanford’s case, probably nonexistent), I'm seriously curious how the heck people turn down Harvard Law? Even though I want to practice in CA (and probably the SF Bay Area) after graduation, there is no way in hell I could turn down Harvard.
So you didn't get into Yale?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:09 pm

rayiner wrote:
mike7174 wrote:Seriously how does ANYBODY get into HARVARD LAW SCHOOL and then go somewhere else? I know Yale is considered better in many specialties and that Stanford is considered on par by most standards, but, honestly, how the hell do you turn down the prestige of Harvard?

I’m not joking. When I tell people that I’ve got into both Stanford and Harvard, every single person looks at me with a puzzled look and says, “would you really go somewhere other than Harvard?” Never mind the fact that chicks LOVE the sound of Harvard Law. I’m not kidding when I say that girls who wouldn’t give me a chance just a few months ago are now seriously interested.

I mean I would understand turning down Harvard for Yale (or Stanford) if the difference was substantial, but since it’s so small (and in Stanford’s case, probably nonexistent), I'm seriously curious how the heck people turn down Harvard Law? Even though I want to practice in CA (and probably the SF Bay Area) after graduation, there is no way in hell I could turn down Harvard.
So you didn't get into Yale?
</thread>

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:12 pm

mike7174 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:I don't know; having gone to a "name-brand" school for undergrad, a lot of people actually react negatively, or awkwardly (middle-aged moms with high school-aged kids are the worst--they usually react with this air of "what do you have that my kid doesn't?" I had one mom call me stupid for picking the major I did.). I usually just say that I went to school in XYZ State. I actually expect the reactions to HLS, if I go, to be more negative and perhaps more frequent.
I can understand getting those reactions from most people (esp., like you said, moms/dads with similar-aged kids), but other than that, I think most people are simply shocked/in awe as soon as they hear the name. They automatically think you’re a genius. And if you’re a guy trying to impress a member of the opposite sex, well, then there is probably not a single school in the world (including medical schools, business schools, etc.) that gets more prestige than Harvard Law, and women just love it.
Maybe women love it, maybe not. Personally, if I'm going to try to impress anyone, it's going to be someone of the dude variety. Maybe it's some kind of pissing contest that guys naturally do, but I've had more than one date turn into a weird kind of job interview/resume comparison. I try to steer the conversation away from grades and standardized test scores, but sometimes it's to no avail. After my junior year of college, I actually had some guy ask me what my SAT scores were on our first date....

No, there was not a second.

Granted, this is neither here nor there in your case.

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:17 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
mike7174 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:I don't know; having gone to a "name-brand" school for undergrad, a lot of people actually react negatively, or awkwardly (middle-aged moms with high school-aged kids are the worst--they usually react with this air of "what do you have that my kid doesn't?" I had one mom call me stupid for picking the major I did.). I usually just say that I went to school in XYZ State. I actually expect the reactions to HLS, if I go, to be more negative and perhaps more frequent.
I can understand getting those reactions from most people (esp., like you said, moms/dads with similar-aged kids), but other than that, I think most people are simply shocked/in awe as soon as they hear the name. They automatically think you’re a genius. And if you’re a guy trying to impress a member of the opposite sex, well, then there is probably not a single school in the world (including medical schools, business schools, etc.) that gets more prestige than Harvard Law, and women just love it.
Maybe women love it, maybe not. Personally, if I'm going to try to impress anyone, it's going to be someone of the dude variety. Maybe it's some kind of pissing contest that guys naturally do, but I've had more than one date turn into a weird kind of job interview/resume comparison. I try to steer the conversation away from grades and standardized test scores, but sometimes it's to no avail. After my junior year of college, I actually had some guy ask me what my SAT scores were on our first date....

Should've stuck with him. Bill Gates asked the same thing on his dates, and he's really rich right now. Therefore, you could be married to a really rich guy right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kchuck

Bronze

Post by Kchuck » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:21 pm

Dear OP,

The fact that you refer to females as 'chicks' embarrasses me. Have fun at Harvard.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 pm

dutchstriker wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
mike7174 wrote:

Should've stuck with him. Bill Gates asked the same thing on his dates, and he's really rich right now. Therefore, you could be married to a really rich guy right now.
More easily said than done, my man :P

As to your argument, he wasn't that smart.

mnolen

Bronze

Post by mnolen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:27 pm

QOL at Stanford >>>>>>>>> QOL at Harvard. Cambridge, dude.

Plus, have you been there? Yeah, some of the smartest and most interesting people you've ever met, but also the biggest douchelords ever. At Stanford everyone just wears Rainbows and eats In-n-Out. In the sun. And they're nice to each other. *wistful sigh*

Can't speak to Yale because I've never been there, but... it's Yale, dude. Sorry you didn't get in :(

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Duder...if you need to drop H-Bombs to nail hard-to-get chicks... :? :roll: :cry: :oops:

Secondly, I would turn down Harvard for a number of schools (primarily because of "cultural" reasons): Stanford!, CLS, NYU (and maybe Chicago, NU and Penn). But I would definitely pick Harvard over Yale and the rest.
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 pm

PDaddy wrote:Duder...if you need to drop H-Bombs to nail hard-to-get chicks... :? :roll: :cry: :oops:

Secondly, I would turn down Harvard for a number of schools: Stanford!, CLS, NYU (and maybe Chicago, NU and Penn). But I would definitely pick Harvard over Yale and the rest.

You just keep getting dumber.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:32 pm

PDaddy wrote:Duder...if you need to drop H-Bombs to nail hard-to-get chicks... :? :roll: :cry: :oops:

Secondly, I would turn down Harvard for a number of schools (primarily because of "cultural" reasons): Stanford!, CLS, NYU (and maybe Chicago, NU and Penn). But I would definitely pick Harvard over Yale and the rest.

while the op is a (lying) buffoon, posts this outrageous should be grounds for the ban hammer

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:36 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

Secondly, I would turn down Harvard for a number of schools: Stanford!, CLS, NYU (and maybe Chicago, NU and Penn). But I would definitely pick Harvard over Yale and the rest.

I guess the others who turn down Harvard are as dumb as I am...'cause it happens every year. Harvard is just...Harvard. It's a name. #1, Harvard's real payoff is after you graduate, which is cool. But, as a person of color, that really doesn't matter. Nobody in the black community cares what law school you go to. They care whether or not you can do your job and whether you give back to the community. And our job prospects are the same no matter what "top-10" we go to. We are still going to be highly sought after.

Harvard's appeal for African-Americans has about as much cache' as playing basketball for Duke does. People are only impressed with the school for a hot minute. They want to know what you do in the "pros". Insofar as blacks are concerned, the Harvard name = the names of the schools I mentioned above...to the black community and to employers.

And I wouldn't pick Harvard over Chicago.
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Because Harvard is a degree mill. HTH.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:42 pm

PDaddy wrote: I guess the others who turn down Harvard are as dumb as I am...'cause it happens every year. Harvard is just...Harvard. It's a name. #1, Harvard's real payoff is after you graduate, which is cool. But, as a person of color, that really doesn't matter. Nobody in the black community cares what law school you go to. They care whether or not you can do your job and whether you give back to the community. And our job prospects are the same no matter what "top-10" we go to. We are still going to be highly sought after.

Harvard's appeal for African-Americans has about as much cache' as playing basketball for Duke does. People are only impressed with the school for a hot minute. They want to know what you do in the "pros". Insofar as blacks are concerned, the Harvard name = the names of the schools I mentioned above...to the black community and to employers.

And I need to retract the Chicago remark. I wouldn't pick Harvard over Chicago.
D. H2Oman wrote:You just keep getting dumber.

fwaam

Bronze

Post by fwaam » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm seriously considering turning down Harvard for (gasp, shock) Duke. OP, one of the many differences between us is that I don't need the Harvard name to feel validated. Getting into Harvard didn't make me any smarter or cooler than I was before I got in, and I'm comfortable enough with myself that I don't need to brag about my acceptance to strangers at parties. I'm going to pick the school that's right for me, and that may not be the school that gets the most movies made about it.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Last edited by Flanker1067 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:46 pm

PDaddy wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

I guess the others who turn down Harvard are as dumb as I am...'cause it happens every year. Harvard is just...Harvard. It's a name. #1, Harvard's real payoff is after you graduate, which is cool. But, as a person of color, that really doesn't matter. Nobody in the black community cares what law school you go to. They care whether or not you can do your job and whether you give back to the community. And our job prospects are the same no matter what "top-10" we go to. We are still going to be highly sought after.

That's funny - Harvard is one of only two schools in the T14 where African Americans outnumber Asians. At most other T14s, Asians far outnumber African Americans. This probably speaks volumes about Harvard's appeal to the African American community (it may or may not say something about their aversion to Asians).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:56 pm

:)
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:57 pm

PDaddy wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

This seems odd--I know plenty of black people and their families who think Harvard is bar none the best....

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:58 pm

mike7174 wrote: Never mind the fact that chicks LOVE the sound of Harvard Law. I’m not kidding when I say that girls who wouldn’t give me a chance just a few months ago are now seriously interested.
Gold diggers is TCR. They don't like you, they like the money you will make in the future.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Too big.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”