How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???

Post by r6_philly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:38 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
mike7174 wrote:I mean, I suppose it’s shallow of me to place such a heavy emphasis on lay prestige, but hey, it makes a difference. Like why would somebody pick a Toyota over a Mercedes, or a Lexus over a Bentley? I’m not suggesting that Harvard is a Mercedes/Bentley and Stanford and Yale are Toyotas/Lexus’, but you get my point. People do a lot of things to show off: buy nice cars, homes, clothes, watches…why not pick a school that will allow you to show off a little more when you’re picking between schools that are extraordinarily similar in quality/job prospects? I guess that’s my whole point.

because they're shallow.
TBF actually cars that cost over 60k >>> cars that cost 30k in almost every way except for the price. Same about homes. Many people buy nicer cars and home because they are nicer cars and homes and provide more comfort and enjoyment.

Not going to argue about clothes/watches. Cars and homes I can understand and will do my best to buy the more expensive ones ... for my own purposes.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:58 pm

edit
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:55 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:my point was that buying things simply to show off is shallow, i was not saying having nice things because of safety, enjoyment, or comfort is silly or shallow.
Correct, but OP is so shallow that he thinks people buy nice just just to show off... I just wanted to comment to that, and you got quoted for being at the wrong place :)

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:00 pm

A choice between Palo Alto and Cambridge is not a choice my friend.

Ben Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ben Reilly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:11 pm

PDaddy wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Duder...if you need to drop H-Bombs to nail hard-to-get chicks... :? :roll: :cry: :oops:

Secondly, I would turn down Harvard for a number of schools: Stanford!, CLS, NYU (and maybe Chicago, NU and Penn). But I would definitely pick Harvard over Yale and the rest.

You just keep getting dumber.
I guess the others who turn down Harvard are as dumb as I am...'cause it happens every year. Harvard is just...Harvard. It's a name. #1, Harvard's real payoff is after you graduate, which is cool. But, as a person of color, that really doesn't matter. Nobody in the black community cares what law school you go to. They care whether or not you can do your job and whether you give back to the community. And our job prospects are the same no matter what "top-10" we go to. We are still going to be highly sought after.

Harvard's appeal for African-Americans has about as much cache' as playing basketball for Duke does. People are only impressed with the school for a hot minute. They want to know what you do in the "pros". Insofar as blacks are concerned, the Harvard name = the names of the schools I mentioned above...to the black community and to employers.

And I wouldn't pick Harvard over Chicago.

As an African-American male, I'd have to seriously disagree with the claim that no one cares what law school you go to. Many people may not be familiar with all of the T14, but if you mention Harvard, I'm certain you'll get a couple of looks of admiration.

Personally, I'd turn down Harvard for the Hamilton.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bludvl_prelaw

New

Post by bludvl_prelaw » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:08 pm

mike7174 wrote:Seriously how does ANYBODY get into HARVARD LAW SCHOOL and then go somewhere else? I know Yale is considered better in many specialties and that Stanford is considered on par by most standards, but, honestly, how the hell do you turn down the prestige of Harvard?

I’m not joking. When I tell people that I’ve got into both Stanford and Harvard, every single person looks at me with a puzzled look and says, “would you really go somewhere other than Harvard?” Never mind the fact that chicks LOVE the sound of Harvard Law. I’m not kidding when I say that girls who wouldn’t give me a chance just a few months ago are now seriously interested.

I mean I would understand turning down Harvard for Yale (or Stanford) if the difference was substantial, but since it’s so small (and in Stanford’s case, probably nonexistent), I'm seriously curious how the heck people turn down Harvard Law? Even though I want to practice in CA (and probably the SF Bay Area) after graduation, there is no way in hell I could turn down Harvard.
I just wanted to say there's no way you want to get involved with chicks like these. Trust me on this one.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:22 pm

bludvl_prelaw wrote:I just wanted to say there's no way you want to get involved with chicks like these. Trust me on this one.
There is a very big upside to these kind of girls. It is very easy to break up with them.

bludvl_prelaw

New

Post by bludvl_prelaw » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:
bludvl_prelaw wrote:I just wanted to say there's no way you want to get involved with chicks like these. Trust me on this one.
There is a very big upside to these kind of girls. It is very easy to break up with them.
Haha, very true...as long as you don't get too involved. Might be cool to date for a while, but not the type I'd want to marry.

Huge difference between respecting a guy for having ambition and chasing him for his title or money, but that's obvious.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:00 pm

to me yale >> stanford >>>>>>> harvard

also people who don't give a fuck about prestige >>>>>>>> people who are prestige whores but admit it >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> people who pretend not to give a fuck but are always bringing up the better schools they "got into," completely out of context
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:16 pm

I'd go to Stanford for the sunshine. That's it. I know that I'd be much happier and do much better at law school if I were studying at a place where it never snowed, rarely got cold, and retained an extra hour of sunlight for those six months of the year that would otherwise give rise to suicidal thoughts. Stanford's simply the best school in a semi-tropical environment.

BTW, I got rejected from Stanford yesterday. :(

cardnal124

Bronze

Post by cardnal124 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:21 pm

MJMD wrote:I'd go to Stanford for the sunshine. That's it. I know that I'd be much happier and do much better at law school if I were studying at a place where it never snowed, rarely got cold, and retained an extra hour of sunlight for those six months of the year that would otherwise give rise to suicidal thoughts. Stanford's simply the best school in a semi-tropical environment.

You have a ballsy application cycle for a serious splitter. I mean only T6 with a 2.4?

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:27 pm

cardnal124 wrote:
MJMD wrote:I'd go to Stanford for the sunshine. That's it. I know that I'd be much happier and do much better at law school if I were studying at a place where it never snowed, rarely got cold, and retained an extra hour of sunlight for those six months of the year that would otherwise give rise to suicidal thoughts. Stanford's simply the best school in a semi-tropical environment.

You have a ballsy application cycle for a serious splitter. I mean only T6 with a 2.4?
Lol, what did I have to lose?

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:28 pm

MJMD wrote:
cardnal124 wrote:

the application fees. also a good deal of dignity when the adcoms looked at your app and promptly laughed at your life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:32 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
MJMD wrote:
cardnal124 wrote:

the application fees. also a good deal of dignity when the adcoms looked at your app and promptly laughed at your life.
Columbia sent me a fee waiver, so I really had nothing to lose there! But I'm from Canada, and I've already gotten in up here, so ultimately, what do I care what some American who I'll probably never meet thinks of my life? It's been a pretty good one so far, IMHO.

Unless they let me in, of course: in which case I truly and humbly respect their opinion and will hang on their every word for the next three years. :wink:

Anyway, though, yeah...not hung up on Harvard. Don't be, unless you're as blind to reality as the aforementioned sluts.

Ben Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ben Reilly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:57 pm

mike7174 wrote: I’m not suggesting that Harvard is a Mercedes/Bentley and Stanford and Yale are Toyotas/Lexus’, but you get my point.
Beamer, Benz or Bentley.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:59 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike7174

New

Post by mike7174 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:27 pm

bump.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:31 pm

why :(

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:23 pm

mike7174 wrote:bump.
are you for real?

mike7174

New

Post by mike7174 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:46 am

bump. can we please revive this discussion?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:05 am

Bump

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:17 am

what? this isn't the first thread? BUMP!

Cactus

Bronze

Post by Cactus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:46 am

Cactus wrote:
mike7174 wrote:
Cactus wrote:Congratulations on finally garnering serious interest from the ladies. Enjoy it now, because it won't impress the slam pieces nearly as much in Cambridge.
Don’t worry, I’d been garnering their interest even before Harvard. Dropping the H-bomb at frat parties just makes it even easier.
Oh, I could definitely see that. I imagine adding the H-bomb to the arsenal is the culinary equivalent of being upgraded from a sous-chef to the Iron Chef of pounding vag.

mike7174 wrote:bump. can we please revive this discussion?
Yes, as I assumed, the powers of the H-bomb are not limited to those that are actually accepted into the school. Thursday night at the bars, I figured why not try to weave in the "fact" that I'll be attending Harvard Law next fall into some casual conversations with a few sorostitutes. The field results are in my friend, the H-bomb is everything you cracked it up to be and more. Slam pieces + alcohol + the H-bomb is the perfect storm, and that's not rain falling....no, those are panties.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:54 pm

To the OP: I find it bizarre you want to practice in the Bay area, incidentally, yet also spark this thread...

Many people don't realize that HLS is considered the so-called "degree mill" and I think on examination S and Y offer more pleasant experiences. Of course, yeah, I'd love to have gotten in myself :oops: and have a crack at H, but I don't get particularly "warm" feelings from the place.

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:45 pm

I made a similair thread earlier and I agree. How anyone turns down Harvard is beyond me (unless they went there for undergrad).

No other school holds anywhere near the prestige Harvard does. Everyone knows that if you get into Harvard your either uber smart or really rich (sometimes even both). To me those are two qualities that are most worthy to attain. Yale can be #1 on USNWR for as long as it wants but Harvard lay prestige owns it. If you get into Yale people will think you got rejected at Harvard. If you get into Harvard you never have to worry about that because everyone knows its the most prestigious school in the world.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”