American or Wake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

American or Wake

American
18%
Wake Forest
82%

Total votes: 17

kickincane21

American or Wake

Postby kickincane21 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Slightly higher scholarship to American, but since higher cost of living they average to the same total cost.

Not sure where I want to work, either East Coast (anywhere from DC down to FL, or in Cali) I know both schools are regional.

Not sure what exactly I want to specialize in either.

I know its hard to help without those specifics but I'm pretty open about my options down the road and realize they might change. Im not really lookin for BigLaw workin 80+ hours a week, but want a comfortable living at least.

Any general feedback is appreciated.

kalvano

Re: American or Wake

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:32 pm

Wake - 3rd-best law school in North Carolina, thought it performs pretty close to, or in some cases as well as / better than, the 2nd-ranked school. Job opportunities are good in North Carolina and somewhat decent placement in other places.

American - The 4th (?)-best law school in the D.C. area, and don't kid yourself, it will be a lot more money to live around there than Winston-Salem. Not sure what job opportunities are like, but since D.C. is probably the second-most desired market after NYC, I would imagine it would be tougher since you're competing with a lot of the T14 and then some.

I think it depends on money, really. But living around D.C. will be markedly more expensive than W-S, so what's the scholarship difference?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:19 am

If you go to Wake, you've got Charlotte or Raleigh as reasonable post-grad options. Having lived in both, I can honestly say that I'd recommend them both over most any major city I've ever visited. Not to mention, you can't argue with the COL down here. Or the sweet tea. WFU all the way on this one.

qualster

Postby qualster » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:02 am

kalvano wrote:Wake - 3rd-best law school in North Carolina, thought it performs pretty close to, or in some cases as well as / better than, the 2nd-ranked school. Job opportunities are good in North Carolina and somewhat decent placement in other places.

American - The 4th (?)-best law school in the D.C. area, and don't kid yourself, it will be a lot more money to live around there than Winston-Salem. Not sure what job opportunities are like, but since D.C. is probably the second-most desired market after NYC, I would imagine it would be tougher since you're competing with a lot of the T14 and then some.

I think it depends on money, really. But living around D.C. will be markedly more expensive than W-S, so what's the scholarship difference?

Actually, American is like 6th or 7th in the DC area. UVA, Gtown, GW, W&M, W&L, and George Mason are probably better than American. They are ranked higher, etc. Maryland is kind of a peer school, but it may even be a bit better. I realize that UVA isn't right there, but UVA is close enough to DC and it is T14 so UVA grads probably snatch up some of the top DC jobs.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”