Loyola LA ($$) vs. Southwestern ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Gamby

Loyola LA ($$) vs. Southwestern ($$$)

Postby Gamby » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Need advice.

Loyola with $84k evenly split over three years with a stipulation of staying in the top 30%.
Southwestern with full tuition split with a stipulation of staying in the top 50%. (Really, the stipulation says to keep full scholarship, you need a 3.0gpa. Admissions said the curve was a 3.0 -- that 50% are 3.0 or above and 50% are below.)

I plan to stay in Los Angeles. I am not sure what kind of law I want to practice so I am keeping it open. I do have an inclination toward plaintiff-side litigation and a disinclination toward Big Law; even for a year or two, I think it could be bad for my life (and wife and child).

Loyola has made a better impression (rankings aside) but it is difficult for me to gauge how difficult it is to stay in the top 30%. Also, this vis-a-vis the top 50% at SW (factoring that their class size is smaller, I think and possibly more competitive?). The difference in amount of scholarship is not a major concern to me... just holding on to the scholarship.

Please weigh in and help me out.
Last edited by Gamby on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erniesto

Re: Loyola LA ($$) vs. Southwestern ($$$)

Postby erniesto » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:50 pm

Southwestern.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Traditional Advice on this forum is to ignore scholarships with stipulations and look at the schools as if you would pay sticker.
If you didn't meet the scholly requirement would you rather pay sticker at Loyola or Southwestern? Assuming their tuition is similar, the answer should be Loyola.

However; it will also be easier (much easier?) to meet that scholly stipulation of top 50% at Southwestern, then the top 1/3 requirement at Loyola; not just because its an easier stipulation to meet obviously, but because the quality of student at Southwestern (on average) should not be as high as that of Loyola LA.

Unless there is something you really love about Southwestern, I would go Loyola (especially since you said you already liked things better there). Just assume that your only getting a scholarship for your 1L but hope you can make it into the top 1/3rd

chango

Postby chango » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:08 pm

Loyola has made a better impression

Do you not trust your impression?

Also, you could always attempt to negotiate more $$ from Loyola.

Gamby

Postby Gamby » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:20 pm

arhmcpo: Thanks for the advice. It [looking as if you had no scholly at either] is a helpful way to approach it. Appreciate you taking the time. Loyola is my gut response but the thought of losing the scholly after 1L is painful.

chango:
Also, you could always attempt to negotiate more $$ from Loyola.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did attempt to negotiate -- both the award amount and the stipulation -- but Loyola did not go for either.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Something to consider...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113006

Gamby

Postby Gamby » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:52 pm

Something to consider...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113006

Thanks for the link but I am not sure what to do with the information. It does not seem to affect class ranking so it doesn't bear on my scholly stipulations and adjusting the overall curve doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Could you comment on how you would use the info in that thread to help clarify my decision?

Thanks.

dcm81

Postby dcm81 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:51 pm

LMU is the pick but not by much. Southwestern is a decent school too, but your getting pretty good money from LMU, and LMU is a better regional school with a lot of influence in LA.

Gamby

Postby Gamby » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:20 pm

Erniesto: any reason why you pushed Southwestern? The money alone or something else?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”