Yale vs. NYU vs. Harvard

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
patrickd139

Re: Yale vs. NYU vs. Harvard

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:02 pm

kittenmittons wrote:If not flame, Yale. It's not even close.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:08 pm

dutchstriker wrote:
Dignan wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:Yale.

If you do public interest, you'll probably be better off financially due to COAP (even with more overall debt), especially if you have any undergrad debt.

But seriously, go to NYU so I can have your spot at Yale.

+1. New Haven is a dump! Wouldn't you rather live in the village in NYC? And, uh, Yale has a lousy business school. And...uh...ummm...did I mention that Yale is in New Haven? And Yale doesn't even.....er......uh........I give up.

I'm not splitting that spot with you.

Rock-paper-scissors for it?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Yale. All the way. 3 years in that dump of a city is worth it.

badfish

Postby badfish » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Go to Yale. I love NYU but this isn't even close.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Go to Yale. New Haven is only about 3 hours from NYC and you can easily be back there after graduation.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Dignan wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:
Dignan wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:Yale.

If you do public interest, you'll probably be better off financially due to COAP (even with more overall debt), especially if you have any undergrad debt.

But seriously, go to NYU so I can have your spot at Yale.

+1. New Haven is a dump! Wouldn't you rather live in the village in NYC? And, uh, Yale has a lousy business school. And...uh...ummm...did I mention that Yale is in New Haven? And Yale doesn't even.....er......uh........I give up.

I'm not splitting that spot with you.

Rock-paper-scissors for it?

I'll take those odds. Probably better than mine right now.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:22 pm

dutchstriker wrote:
Dignan wrote:Rock-paper-scissors for it?

I'd kill for a 50/50 chance of getting into Yale. Sadly, I probably have a better chance of becoming close personal friends with the "How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???" guy.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:27 pm

Dignan wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:
Dignan wrote:Rock-paper-scissors for it?

I'd kill for a 50/50 chance of getting into Yale. Sadly, I probably have a better chance of becoming close personal friends with the "How do people seriously turn down Harvard Law???" guy.

I'll probably befriend that dude if I end up at HLS.

And just so you know, your chances of beating me in rock-paper-scissors can't be better than 40-60. I've got skills.

esquinkle

Postby esquinkle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:07 pm

hey all - I'm definitely not a troll, and I know all the (justifiable) love for Yale, but I wanted to toss out the question since the previous thread on NYU and its PI community was so positive. Still waiting to send in my deposit, but Yale definitely has the edge for the time being.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:55 pm

nyu student here...

yale (unless possibly if their LRAP is not as good as people are saying. if it is indeed the best, then there's no serious question here)

protip: keep in mind though that unless your parents/bf are rich, there's a good chance you're gonna be like "oh i'll give biglaw a shot for a year or two, THEN i will save the world!" so money upfront from the school should still be a consideration. every single NYU 1L wants to save the world, and then 90% of them end up in the private sector, and some later do government for the hours...

spondee

Postby spondee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Yale is undeniably the better school, and almost certainly the right choice, but it would suck to go there only to find out you hate it. I say to really press NYU for an extension - and I'd hope that if they understand you're genuinely considering them vs Yale, they'd give you an extension. Visit beforehand (both Yale and Harvard) just to be sure.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Flame, and I'll feed it: Yale.

Nonetheless, people really do gloss over exactly how crappy New Haven is...especially if you're a grad student.

oso84

Postby oso84 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:04 am

I just (as in last week) had to make the Yale v NYU choice, and assuming you get no FA at YLS the financial difference was the same (the difference in FA packages was equivalent to half tuition). So after agonizing about the decision forever, memorizing both schools' websites, and talking to every current student, alum, and professor I could, here's what it came down to financially.

1) I factored in 25k in overall savings going to YLS because of the lower cost of living in New Haven. I was shocked at New Haven's low rents (though I'm used to San Francisco rents, so anything not in NYC will be low to me). When I actually drew up budgets for each school, including the substantially lower cost of daily transportation (though you'd have to factor in more Metro-North fares), lower rents, and the lower cost of "stuff" it really does come out to about a 25k difference, which is of course a semesters tuition. If you do PI both summers, you wind up with 2K more in summer funding from YLS. (Yes, I am that detail oriented).

2) COAP (the LRAP at Yale) is better for me than NYU's LRAP (which is still amazing). The awesomeness of COAP includes: no absolute income ceiling, a pretty generous "subceiling" (at which you start to pay a portion of your income), generous allowances for dependents if you're planning on having kids, no "3-years-before-your-first-LRAP-loan-gets-forgiven" requirement, and finally something that I think is really underrated: the ability to work any job you want. Every other T14 LRAP I looked at requires that the person have a "PI job,' "a not for profit job," or at a minimum a "legal" job. And while most people will fit into whatever category, I don't want to haggle with some financial aid officer if I wind up doing something esoteric/weird and it's nice knowing that Yale will still repay my loans in the unlikely event that I flip out and chose to tend bar and surf for the rest of my life.

In terms of the schools themselves, I think NYU might have a superior clinical program, and I'm really bummed to be missing out on their diversity of clinical offerings. There are also fewer overall class offerings at Yale, but I kinda think that there so much that I won't be able to get through in three years that it won't matter that they don't offer EVERYTHING like Harvard is able to. So while on the whole I probably come down on the big school side of the big/small debate, YLS's program strength mitigates the lack of variety for me.

On clerking, I think NYU is really committing to helping out students who want to clerk. I wouldn't be mislead by the stats there. If you want an appellate clerkship coming out of NYU, you can get it. Obviously with Yale you have a ton of resources behind you.

And last, YLS's FA office worked with me to get a FA package out while I was under deadline. They'll probably do the same with you if you ask, assuming you haven't already.

GL!

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:47 pm

For those interested in the financial side of this decision: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114287

Return to “Choosing a Law School”