Yale vs. NYU vs. Harvard

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
esquinkle

Yale vs. NYU vs. Harvard

Postby esquinkle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:33 pm

NYU just offered around half tuition, but with the stipulation of agreeing to enroll before I can realistically get to visit either Harvard or Yale. I still haven't gotten financial aid information from either H or Y.

I was never obsessed with the prestige of the names....until I got in. Now I'm getting pressured by family and friends to jump at Harvard (mostly) and Yale (those who have actually looked up law schools). When I visited NYU's ASW, I thought it blew Columbia out of the water. The students seemed both really engaged and really relaxed. I plan on pursuing public interest law, so their LRAP was also very appealing. I admittedly know less about Yale's LRAP, but it will weigh heavily on the decision if it comes down to NYU $$ vs. Yale sticker.

I read a really great thread on this forum comparing different schools' PI programs, and NYU came off really well, especially the part about its network of alumni who are eager to extend opportunities to other NYU grads looking for top PI jobs in the city. However, I've also heard that a lot of top nonprofit (HRW, etc) love an ivy-encrusted degree.

Other considerations: I currently live in NYC and went here undergrad; I'm torn between staying because I love the city, or moving somewhere else for a new experience (with the end goal of returning to the city). Also, I have a very serious boyfriend - he is willing to move, but finding a job at our new location (either Boston or New Haven) might be a bit more difficult than staying at his current job.

Harvard is definitely third on the list, but only because I have the stereotypical impression that it's a huge school full of hyper competitive snobs, to put it bluntly. Obviously that's not going to be true of the entire student body, and I've talked to several students who love it and seem very down to earth. However, I do think both Yale and NYU have stronger PI programs.

Any advice? What it comes down to is $$ (taking it now vs. relying on a ten-year lrap plan), and the PI opportunities available to Yale students vs. NYU students (and yes, I do want to clerk afterwards). I'm really attracted to NYU's strong clinical program and its work-ready, real world attitude. However, I would love to have the opportunity to really develop relationships with professors, and Yale is a lot more flexible (curriculum-wise) and would let me tailor my coursework more.

kittenmittons

Re: Yale vs. NYU vs. Harvard

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:34 pm

If not flame, Yale. It's not even close.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:37 pm

I usually answer these by saying "there is no wrong choice!" but in this case the wrong choice is anything other than Yale. It is a golden ticket to PI, academia, clerkships, Biglaw, has a stunning LRAP program, and isn't all that far from home. At this level it isn't ranking based or prestige-whoring, it's just common sense. There is no downside here. Congratulations.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:38 pm

kittenmittons wrote:If not flame, Yale. It's not even close.

This. Even the issues on which you seem to give NYU the edge/care-about (LRAP, Clerkships etc.) are areas where Yale trounces all. Half-tuition is not not nearly enough to even bring NYU into this discussion (absent some overwhelming factors---none of which are present here).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:48 pm

I mean, you have a good shot at landing the top PI jobs from either Yale or NYU. The clerkship stuff goes in Yale's favor so if clerkships are super important that is to you that could be the deciding factor. However, if you really don't care about the prestige and clerkships are secondary I imagine that when you are working your dream job in a few years you will be just as happy not to have the debt (or to have the flexibility afforded by the scholarship vs. lrap).

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:02 pm

I don't think there is a wrong choice here.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:02 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:I don't think there is a wrong choice here.

That would be Not Yale.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:04 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:I don't think there is a wrong choice here.

That would be Not Yale.

Not only Not Yale, but anything that's not Yale.

/Terribly nerdy TLS joke.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Yale regardless of money.

They have an absurdly good LRAP (essentially makes it impossible to have repayment difficulties). It will also give you the most access to the most high-end and sexy public interest gigs.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Almost certainly Yale. However, ask NYU for an extension to their deadline to hear financial aid offers from your other options. They seem to grant extensions on those grounds with frequency.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Last edited by tomhobbes on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:12 pm

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:13 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:13 pm

Full tuition somewhere would change things, but if it were me, I'd go with Yale.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Selfishly, I say NYU because a) that's where I'll probably end up, and you sound nice, and b) I want your spot at Yale!

I know exactly how you feel about the prestige thing...I never thought I cared until I got into Columbia. People I have told have been really impressed, and it's hard not to get caught up in that.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:28 pm

If you liked the atmosphere at NYU, you'll love it at Yale. I've never seen a group of such scholarly and motivated students. They're also very laid back and personable. It's really the best of all worlds.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Oh based on everyone's advice, the race seems really close between Yale and Yale

nycsoul87

Postby nycsoul87 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm sorry but this isn't even remotely close- Yale

dbt

Postby dbt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:38 pm

even @ NYU I will say pick Yale. I would only pick NYU over Yale if given one of the full-ride named scholarships.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Honestly, the only thing that should ever come between you and Yale might be Columbia w/ Hamilton. Even then it's a toss-up.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Yale.

If you do public interest, you'll probably be better off financially due to COAP (even with more overall debt), especially if you have any undergrad debt.

But seriously, go to NYU so I can have your spot at Yale.

Xptboy

Postby Xptboy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:23 pm

If you wanna stay in NYC with your boyfriend and are set on PI then I don't see why you can't go with NYU. If however you are not sure of what type of law you want to do, then maybe Yale is the right choice for you.

But I wouldn't listen to me, I'm a 0L

aad

Postby aad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Xptboy wrote:If you wanna stay in NYC with your boyfriend and are set on PI then I don't see why you can't go with NYU. If however you are not sure of what type of law you want to do, then maybe Yale is the right choice for you.

But I wouldn't listen to me, I'm a 0L

NYC is not that far from New Haven. My girlfriend will be working in NYC next year and we're both planning to spend some time on the train. Metro North is $40 round trip @ 1.5 hours each way. That's not bad at all for a weekend trip. And if your relationship is at the point where you are likely moving in together or planning to get married, you could always live somewhere in West Conneticut (e.g. Stamford) that is a 45 minute commute to the city and to New Haven.

A lot of people live in CT and commute to work to the city. I even saw monthly train passes being sold from New Haven to NYC which implies that there must be people living as far as New Haven who work in the city. Bottom line, I don't think you should consider distance from your bf at all when it comes to YLS. If you decide to go to HLS, then he would probably need to move.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:47 pm

dutchstriker wrote:Yale.

If you do public interest, you'll probably be better off financially due to COAP (even with more overall debt), especially if you have any undergrad debt.

+1. New Haven is a dump! Wouldn't you rather live in the village in NYC? And, uh, Yale has a lousy business school. And...uh...ummm...did I mention that Yale is in New Haven? And Yale doesn't even.....er......uh........I give up.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 pm

Dignan wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:Yale.

+1. New Haven is a dump! Wouldn't you rather live in the village in NYC? And, uh, Yale has a lousy business school. And...uh...ummm...did I mention that Yale is in New Haven? And Yale doesn't even.....er......uh........I give up.

I'm not splitting that spot with you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”