Loyola (LA) with 17k per year or USD with 22k per year

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
didionye

Loyola (LA) with 17k per year or USD with 22k per year

Postby didionye » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:01 am

I currently live in long beach and have narrowed down my choices to usd or loyola. I plan on practicing in the Los Angeles area when i graduate. Both schools offer the concentrate i'm interested in but i'm worried that going to USD will limit me to the san diego job market instead of the larger los angeles legal market. Should i take the 22k offered at usd which is needs based or go with loyola which requires being in the top 30%.

P.S: moving to san diego will require more expenses for me to relocate.

dcm81

Re: Loyola (LA) with 17k per year or USD with 22k per year

Postby dcm81 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:00 pm

IMO needs based is better, and USD grads do work in LA. Loyola has an upper hand in LA, but your not going to be at a huge disavantage. Both equally good schools.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:01 pm

If you go to Loyola LA you might get a sweet +.33 GPA bump down the line when they need to realign their GPA again! 4.66 HERE YOU COME!

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:08 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:If you go to Loyola LA you might get a sweet +.33 GPA bump down the line when they need to realign their GPA again! 4.66 HERE YOU COME!

Shouldn't really dump on LLS because I am still considering them (although admittedly less and less each day), but I would love to graduate from law school with 4.99 GPA and blow the competition away in my job search. It would be like high school all over again -- taking the AP classes for the extra couple points to game the GPA system.

didionye

Postby didionye » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Bert wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:If you go to Loyola LA you might get a sweet +.33 GPA bump down the line when they need to realign their GPA again! 4.66 HERE YOU COME!

Shouldn't really dump on LLS because I am still considering them (although admittedly less and less each day), but I would love to graduate from law school with 4.99 GPA and blow the competition away in my job search. It would be like high school all over again -- taking the AP classes for the extra couple points to game the GPA system.

I'm worried about the bump because it does seem like grade inflation. Its great in the short term for students though. Do some of the other schools like UCLA and USC bump their grades too?

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:19 pm

didionye wrote:
Bert wrote:

I'm worried about the bump because it does seem like grade inflation. Its great in the short term for students though. Do some of the other schools like UCLA and USC bump their grades too?

Schools have made adjustments to their curves before, but no school has ever retroactively "added" to each student's GPA. That is why they got so much shit on ATL for it.

didionye

Postby didionye » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:23 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
didionye wrote:
Bert wrote:

Schools have made adjustments to their curves before, but no school has ever retroactively "added" to each student's GPA. That is why they got so much shit on ATL for it.

well that makes sense.At this point i think i'll just flip a coin and pick whichever school. They both seem to be evenly matched.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”