GULC PT or BU60K

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GULC PT or BU60K

Poll ended at Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:10 pm

GULC PT
54%
BU60K
46%

Total votes: 26

misspippers

GULC PT or BU60K

Postby misspippers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm

I am on 5 T10 WLs so we'll see (year of the waitlist), but I have to decide on one of the following for my initial deposit. So far, haven't heard any $$ from GULC.

I have already withdrawn from all of my lower ranked schools. Still waiting on a couple other T14s.

I have worked for two years and thus do not care about it being PT. I might transfer into the FT program. I am interested in working in public interest/human rights law. I have never lived in Boston but love the city. I know DC extremely well and love it as well.

BU's deposit is due 4/15; GULC's 5/3.

Thoughts?

jks289

Re: GULC PT or BU60K

Postby jks289 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:13 pm

GULC isn't significantly better than BU in a way that justifies an over 100K difference in COA. DC is a more expensive city, stretched over 4 years with no aid you are looking at a lot of debt. The only reason to not pick BU is if you are concerned about being limited to the Northeast.

misspippers

Postby misspippers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:27 pm

I definitely see your point.

I know that GULC gets a lot of hate on this website (frankly, I don't get it; of course it's not UChicago, if it were, it would be ranked #6), but honestly wouldn't GULC provide more national placement than BU?

I don't know where I want to live and work. My boyfriend is in the Navy and could live anywhere.

Also, GULC's LRAP seems to be a lot better, and given my public interest desires, I wonder whether that outshines the immediate $$ from BU.

Sigh.. .decisions decisions.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:33 pm

misspippers wrote:I definitely see your point.

I know that GULC gets a lot of hate on this website (frankly, I don't get it; of course it's not UChicago, if it were, it would be ranked #6), but honestly wouldn't GULC provide more national placement than BU?

I don't know where I want to live and work. My boyfriend is in the Navy and could live anywhere.

Also, GULC's LRAP seems to be a lot better, and given my public interest desires, I wonder whether that outshines the immediate $$ from BU.

Sigh.. .decisions decisions.

I don't think poorly of Gtown, like many do. It is a fine institution. I just don't think it is worth 100K over BU. Yes, it will give you more national reach, but not enough to justify the price tag. I understand the need for a portable degree (my husband will need to move all over) but I think debt can be as much of an anchor as anything. You'll need BigLaw to pay it off and Bigaw is in big cities. LRAP is great, assuming you earn a qualifiying position, but Gtown grads saturate the DC market (not to mention UVA, and everyone else). BU is relatively portable (they place well enough in California) and the bonus of limted debt is that you can up and leave your job without worrying about walking about from your salary or walking away from your LRAP qualifying position. Especially for PI (which BU is known for) i think the only thing GULC has over BU is prestige. Honestly, if this were a 30K decision, that might be worth it. But with the number currently on the table, I just don't see that. Congratulations on great choices though.

misspippers

Postby misspippers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Thank you for your sincere responses. I really, really, appreciate it. Sometimes it can be really hard to get actual advice on these blogs and you did.

I admit, I'm still conflicted, but your points have definitely been well taken.

Thanks again.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:58 pm

I think TLS is dead wrong here. I was a GULC PTer (transferred to FT).

People aren't taking into account the money the OP can earn as a PT student. In fact, there are quite a few jobs the school offers (working in various school offices) that have full tuition benefits as part of the deal. The fact that you want to do PI seals the deal. GULC has a great LRAP, and being in DC will be a huge networking advantage.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have about GULC PT.

misspippers

Postby misspippers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:06 pm

nealric wrote:I think TLS is dead wrong here. I was a GULC PTer (transferred to FT).

In fact, there are quite a few jobs the school offers (working in various school offices) that have full tuition benefits as part of the deal.

Did you work one of these jobs? Does it have to be part of a financial aid package? Definitely want to know more. This seems like a really interesting possibility.

It seems like as soon as I know which way to go, another side comes up. I'm leaning Georgetown, because it's Georgetown and the LRAP program, but BU showed me a lot of love... :-/

misspippers

Postby misspippers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Bump (and thanks for the comments!)

The vote is tied 50/50. I basically need to decide this this WEEK since April 15 is the big day for Boston University.

I'm leaning GULC given LRAP and national reach, but again, debt aversion + BU is a great school.

Any last thoughts?

mbenesh

Postby mbenesh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:21 am

Hi- I'm in this same situation but with $75K from BU. I'm also struggling with the same dilemma. I would be very interested in knowing more about jobs at GT and how that might help with tuition costs. Any helpful contacts?

misspippers

Postby misspippers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:45 pm

mbenesh wrote:Hi- I'm in this same situation but with $75K from BU. I'm also struggling with the same dilemma. I would be very interested in knowing more about jobs at GT and how that might help with tuition costs. Any helpful contacts?

Great to know I'm not alone, and congrats on that BU scholly. Have you made a final decision? Basically deciding whether I need to FedEx my deposit to BU or get stuff together for GULC?

I feel like we can't go wrong, but I'm still reaaaaallly conflicted. Which is better for PI: a t14 with a great LRAP, or t20 with a significant scholarship?

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Did you work one of these jobs? Does it have to be part of a financial aid package? Definitely want to know more. This seems like a really interesting possibility.

I didn't work such a job (because I already had a job before school started). No, it's not part of the financial aid package. Basically, once you are a student you will start getting emails about various openings within the school. Most of them require that you work at the school for a year before getting tuition benefits. I do have some friends from PT who did do such jobs. They are graduating with very minimal debt as a result.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”