Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

For placement/eventual career abroad...

Cornell (sticker)
9
16%
UVA (sticker)
28
51%
Vandy (72K)
18
33%
 
Total votes: 55

User avatar
pandaexpress
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby pandaexpress » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:52 pm

Well, this is assuming that I can't squeeze any money out of Cornell/UVA (I'm doubtful that they'll be interested in coughing anything up at this point).

As far as career goals, I definitely want to work abroad (perhaps in big law) for most of my career. I guess I'm under the impression that the easiest avenue to an overseas placement is via NYC big law...right? Or is it easier to procure international placements through OCI?

Nevertheless, is the extra debt at Cornell/UVA worth the potentially better international/NYC placement and greater international prestige? If so, which among the two is the best option for international portability?

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby showNprove » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:15 pm

I would assume the easiest way to go international is to work for an international firm or get into a government agency that handles international work. For that, you would want to have NY and DC open. For that reason, take the school that opens up both doors widest: UVa.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby jks289 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:23 pm

UVA. No brainer. Anything less than a full ride at Vandy makes UVA an easy choice. I'd say Cornell would have to come up with half tuition, but if NYC/DC biglaw is really your goal even then UVA sticker makes more sense.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby KMaine » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:25 pm

As things stand, I voted for UVA. You may be able to get some $ out of Cornell, at which point (I think) it becomes a valid option. Good luck.

Ghost Writer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby Ghost Writer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:31 pm

I voted for Cornell I think it has greater international prestige. I am also faced with a similar decision.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby jks289 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Ghost Writer wrote:I voted for Cornell I think it has greater international prestige. I am also faced with a similar decision.


Having working in law firms abroad for a significant time, the only internationally prestigious schools are Harvard and to a lesser extent Yale. Cornell and UVA will carry the same prestige; none. Those who are in the know about American law schools enough to recognize the names, will know UVA is the better school

Ghost Writer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby Ghost Writer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Seriously you are picking hairs here. You have 3 amazing options. Visit all of them and imagine yourself there, sitting in a desk studying. I would narrow it down to UVA or Cornell, and do that with both of them.

User avatar
pandaexpress
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby pandaexpress » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:41 am

that's interesting that the consensus seems to be that UVA has significantly better placement than Cornell. I was really under the impression that Cornell would have greater international prestige/opportunities.

thanks for the advice. I'm honestly pretty torn at the moment...

does anyone else have any additional thoughts?

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 am

jks289 wrote:UVA. No brainer. Anything less than a full ride at Vandy makes UVA an easy choice. I'd say Cornell would have to come up with half tuition, but if NYC/DC biglaw is really your goal even then UVA sticker makes more sense.



I think JKS is the most helpful poster on TLS. I see her giving solid advice on almost every thread I read, when I'm searching for threads to be a douche on. +1 to JKS.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby showNprove » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:59 am

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djgoldbe
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby djgoldbe » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:03 am

showNprove wrote:
pandaexpress wrote:I was really under the impression that Cornell would have greater international prestige/opportunities.

My SO is Asian, and according to her, the only schools with international prestige are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, and maybe Columbia.


If that, most have only heard of Harvard and maybe Yale.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby jks289 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:31 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
jks289 wrote:UVA. No brainer. Anything less than a full ride at Vandy makes UVA an easy choice. I'd say Cornell would have to come up with half tuition, but if NYC/DC biglaw is really your goal even then UVA sticker makes more sense.



I think JKS is the most helpful poster on TLS. I see her giving solid advice on almost every thread I read, when I'm searching for threads to be a douche on. +1 to JKS.


Aw, thanks Waterman. Though I know you're just trying to make up after I took the bait on that FakePanda flame... :oops:

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Cornell vs. UVA vs. Vandy $$

Postby fortissimo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:10 pm

showNprove wrote:
pandaexpress wrote:I was really under the impression that Cornell would have greater international prestige/opportunities.

My SO is Asian, and according to her, the only schools with international prestige are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, and maybe Columbia.


Princeton..eh. It's like the forgotten redhead child of a family with 4 kids.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, echonov, Google [Bot] and 4 guests