Boalt or Vandy ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Berkeley or Vandy ($)

Berkeley
96
84%
Vanderbilt
18
16%
 
Total votes: 114

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Boalt or Vandy ($)

Postby jenesaislaw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 pm

hooty86 wrote:When I attended Berkeley, I absolutely HATED the city with a passion, and I'd definitely prefer living in Nashville for 3 years to another 3 in Berkeley, but I think in this situation I'd choose Berkeley over Vandy simply because the South is the last region I would consider working in and almost 50% of the class ends up in the region. It really depends on your individual goals and what you want to do/where you want to work. A pro with Vandy is that it has more access to more stable markets like NYC, DC, based on what I know about how many non-CA offices went to Boalt's OCI (I think only 10% were from OOS).


Keep in mind that a lot of us here actually do want to work in the south. This really cannot be overlooked.

Also, I meant to make this point earlier, but I think if you have what it takes to crack academia you're going to be a superstar no matter which school you choose. As such, I don't think this should enter much into a decision between these two schools.

general100
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Boalt or Vandy ($)

Postby general100 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:48 am

jenesaislaw wrote:Keep in mind that a lot of us here actually do want to work in the south.


Even though I'm from Louisiana, I'm not really one of them, unless you count DC as being in the South. I'm mostly interested in the major east coast/mid-atlantic markets, which is why this has been so difficult. Yes, Berkeley's the better school, but I've heard that the number of OCI firms from the east coast has been steadily dwindling since the economy collapsed. It also seems, predictably, that the Berkeley network is on the west coast. I'm also disturbed by the fact that NLJ250 placement there has dropped so much -- as another posted pointed out, the difference separating Berkeley and Vandy is probably not even statistically significant anymore (+/- 3%), and there is NOT a huge difference in the % of the student body getting clerkships. All of that said, these statistics can't capture the differences in the types of firms that students from these schools are going to...is there a qualitative difference? Are Berkeley students going to more elite firms in the major markets than Vandy grads? Are the clerkships that they're getting more prestigious? It seems like it's impossible to know. Why does this massive investment of time and money require such a leap of faith?

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Boalt or Vandy ($)

Postby fortissimo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:00 am

general100 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:Keep in mind that a lot of us here actually do want to work in the south.


Even though I'm from Louisiana, I'm not really one of them, unless you count DC as being in the South. I'm mostly interested in the major east coast/mid-atlantic markets, which is why this has been so difficult. Yes, Berkeley's the better school, but I've heard that the number of OCI firms from the east coast has been steadily dwindling since the economy collapsed. It also seems, predictably, that the Berkeley network is on the west coast. I'm also disturbed by the fact that NLJ250 placement there has dropped so much -- as another posted pointed out, the difference separating Berkeley and Vandy is probably not even statistically significant anymore (+/- 3%), and there is NOT a huge difference in the % of the student body getting clerkships. All of that said, these statistics can't capture the differences in the types of firms that students from these schools are going to...is there a qualitative difference? Are Berkeley students going to more elite firms in the major markets than Vandy grads? Are the clerkships that they're getting more prestigious? It seems like it's impossible to know. Why does this massive investment of time and money require such a leap of faith?


Tbf, it might be a little easier getting to DC/NYC biglaw from Vandy than Boalt simply due to the relatively larger number of DC/NYC offices at Vandy's OCI. If you have other t-14 acceptances that place more in NYC/DC (i.e. more NYC/DC offices at OCI) you should definitely not count them out.

general100
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Boalt or Vandy ($)

Postby general100 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:06 am

fortissimo wrote:
Tbf, it might be a little easier getting to DC/NYC biglaw from Vandy than Boalt simply due to the relatively larger number of DC/NYC offices at Vandy's OCI. If you have other t-14 acceptances that place more in NYC/DC (i.e. more NYC/DC offices at OCI) you should definitely not count them out.


Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. And unfortunately, I'm in the awkward and probably unheard of position of having only gotten into 1 T14 and Vanderbilt with money -- waitlisted at almost every school in between. I decided long ago that I had no desire to play the waitlist game. But yeah, Penn, for example, would be a happy medium in a lot of ways. So would Michigan and Virginia...

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Boalt or Vandy ($)

Postby fortissimo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:57 am

general100 wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
Tbf, it might be a little easier getting to DC/NYC biglaw from Vandy than Boalt simply due to the relatively larger number of DC/NYC offices at Vandy's OCI. If you have other t-14 acceptances that place more in NYC/DC (i.e. more NYC/DC offices at OCI) you should definitely not count them out.


Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. And unfortunately, I'm in the awkward and probably unheard of position of having only gotten into 1 T14 and Vanderbilt with money -- waitlisted at almost every school in between. I decided long ago that I had no desire to play the waitlist game. But yeah, Penn, for example, would be a happy medium in a lot of ways. So would Michigan and Virginia...


Well, Vandy probably gives you a better shot at DC/ATL biglaw, but odds are you won't get biglaw at either school at median ITE. If I were you I might try to leverage with Vandy to get more $$ and look at what firms go to each school's OCI on NALP. (I think a Boalt 2L posted that only about 10% of the offices at OCI were not from California.) At the same price, I'd choose Berkeley, but at the same time I wouldn't pay 230k for law school. Tough choice.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Commoncourtesy, MSNbot Media, Socratease, WamBamThankYouMaam and 2 guests