Loyola Los Angeles $$ vs. Cardozo $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

Loyola LA with 1/2 scholarship
33%
Cardozo with 75% scholarship
67%

Total votes: 3

craftmbs

Loyola Los Angeles $$ vs. Cardozo $$$

Postby craftmbs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:47 am

Wondering if people could help me with a decision I'm trying to make.

I am from Los Angeles, but currently live in NY. I love living in NY, but want to eventually (at some point in the next 5-6 years) move to LA. At the moment, however, I prefer living in NY. I have scholarship offers from Loyola (about 1/2 tuition) and Cardozo (about 75%). In an ideal world, I would go to Cardozo ($ and being in NY), do really well and get a great job in LA right after.

My question is twofold:
1) Does Cardozo place in LA at all?
2) Would working in NY for a couple of years after graduating LS make me attractive to an LA firm? In other words, could I go to Cardozo, which places better in NY, get a job in NY and make a lateral move to LA?

Which would you all choose?

boardride23

Re: Loyola Los Angeles $$ vs. Cardozo $$$

Postby boardride23 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:57 am

Last edited by boardride23 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

boardride23

Postby boardride23 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:58 am

That's strange that you got more money from Cardozo... I got 3/4 at Loyola and waitlisted at Cardozo... did you happen to go to a New York UG? (I think going to a prestigious socal UG helped my case for Loyola). What are the scholly stipulations?

My $.02....
Never make longterm-reaching decisions for the immediate future, if you would actually PREFER LA in 4-5 years.... go to school in LA and be better prepared for the difficult CA bar (especially given that Cardozo is still only a T-2, which means limited portability). You don't wanna be stuck with taking the NY AND CA bar exam... Besides it's not like "roughing it" in LA for the next few years would be such a bad thing for someone that clearly loves the city life.
Last edited by boardride23 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:00 pm

To be safe, you should really attend school in the city you ultimately want to practice in. While you are more portable a few years after graduation, it's best to play it safe ITE. Also, you should keep in mind that the CA bar is especially difficult to pass.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”