Choosing Between Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
homayounfar06

Choosing Between Schools

Postby homayounfar06 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:00 am

I am currently in the process of deciding between three law schools:
Willamette University
Gonzaga University
Golden Gate University

I would like to study business law or intellectual property law. I was able to dwindle it down to these three as I know I would like to stay on the west coast, and each of these satisfies that necessity. I was just curious what people's opinions were of these schools? Do any really stand out? What are my job prospects?

Thank you in advance to all your responses.

PDaddy

Re: Choosing Between Schools

Postby PDaddy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:10 am

Better do Gonzaga! Many of Seattle's top attorneys graduated from the doghouse. Golden Gate is in trouble.

TheCheerfulPessimist

Postby TheCheerfulPessimist » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:40 am

I'm near Portland, and a lot of people here speak fondly of Willamette, and I don't hear anything bad about Gonzaga. However, I know a 3L at GGU who's doing well there, but he's really struggling to find work. He said that the professors are great, but he was really turned off by how the school flunks out the bottom 1/3 of the class after the first year. (At least, that's what he said happens. You might want to look into it.) Aside from advice on TLS (which is some of the best, IMO), I recommend looking online and seeing which firms/agencies/whatever are hiring GGU/Willamette/Gonzaga grads.

nahgems

Postby nahgems » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:15 pm

TheCheerfulPessimist wrote:I'm near Portland, and a lot of people here speak fondly of Willamette, and I don't hear anything bad about Gonzaga. However, I know a 3L at GGU who's doing well there, but he's really struggling to find work. He said that the professors are great, but he was really turned off by how the school flunks out the bottom 1/3 of the class after the first year. (At least, that's what he said happens. You might want to look into it.) Aside from advice on TLS (which is some of the best, IMO), I recommend looking online and seeing which firms/agencies/whatever are hiring GGU/Willamette/Gonzaga grads.

While 24.6% leave after the first year, only about 1/2 of those students (12.6%) leave because of academic attrition (see http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... BA4329.pdf). GGU accepts students who were not necessarily successful undergraduates and gives them a chance. As a student there, I'm not horribly turned off by the school's policy of dropping students with a GPA below 1.5 in their first semester, below 2.15 (required classes) / 2.0 (overall) after the first year. Our final paper for legal writing was due yesterday. We had over a month to complete the paper. I talked to a student who *started* the paper less than 24 hours before the deadline. I like her as a person. And it sucks that she paid a lot to go to law school and may not get a degree. But I don't feel like the school is at fault. GGU has an amazing academic development office. They have weekly TA sessions for most of the classes to help students that are having trouble. They offer special "legal skills" classes that teach IRAC for people who bombed their first semester.

Because of US News rankings and importance of GPA, students who didn't succeed as undergraduates don't have many options. Some of them probably haven't learned anything or changed. They probably shouldn't go to law school. Others have been gainfully employed for 10 years or did well in graduate school or had a legitimate excuse for their poor undergraduate performance. T1 schools generally don't care. GGU gives students a opportunity to demonstrate that their undergrad performance and test scores don't define them as people. And for students who actually *do* all the reading, and research and writing and thinking, GGU provides a solid legal education.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”