Columbia vs. Chicago vs. Duke for Denver/Portland

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
choculamaviva
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 12:22 pm

Columbia vs. Chicago vs. Duke for Denver/Portland

Postby choculamaviva » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:52 pm

If you were choosing between Columbia and Chicago for either biglaw in Denver or Portland, or doing something non-traditional, i.e. govt job or teaching somewhere in the west, which would it be? I'm concerned that if you're not gunning for NYC biglaw, Columbia may not know what to do with you....

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago vs. Duke for Denver/Portland

Postby Dignan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:22 pm

choculamaviva wrote:If you were choosing between Columbia and Chicago for either biglaw in Denver or Portland, or doing something non-traditional, i.e. govt job or teaching somewhere in the west, which would it be? I'm concerned that if you're not gunning for NYC biglaw, Columbia may not know what to do with you....

Your concerns are misplaced. Columbia's national placement is remarkable. For national big law placement, CLS is almost as good as Harvard and better than Chicago. Here's a useful link:

http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/student ... w/data.htm

And if you are interested in "a govt. job or teaching somewhere in the west," then Berkeley (if you've been accepted there) would be a better choice than either Chicago or CLS.
Last edited by Dignan on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago vs. Duke for Denver/Portland

Postby Rand M. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:32 pm

Dignan wrote:
choculamaviva wrote:If you were choosing between Columbia and Chicago for either biglaw in Denver or Portland, or doing something non-traditional, i.e. govt job or teaching somewhere in the west, which would it be? I'm concerned that if you're not gunning for NYC biglaw, Columbia may not know what to do with you....

Your concerns are misplaced. Columbia's national placement is remarkable. For national big law placement, CLS is almost as good at Harvard and better than Chicago. Here's a useful link:

http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/student ... w/data.htm

And if you are interested in "a govt. job or teaching somewhere in the west," then Berkeley (if you've been accepted there) would be a better choice than either Chicago or CLS.


How do you conclude that CLS is better than Chicago based on the link provided?

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago vs. Duke for Denver/Portland

Postby Rand M. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:43 pm

To the OP--here is the link to the results of the study that dignan linked to:

http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/student ... esults.htm

Overall I think that CC are both TCR over Duke if you want to go west. They both have national placement that Duke just doesn't. Between those two it should come down to other preferences since the prospects are largely the same. However, if teaching is a real desire then Chicago pulls ahead of Columbia in that regard

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2009 ... hing.shtml
http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008 ... hing.shtml

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago vs. Duke for Denver/Portland

Postby Dignan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:48 pm

Rand M. wrote:
Dignan wrote:
choculamaviva wrote:If you were choosing between Columbia and Chicago for either biglaw in Denver or Portland, or doing something non-traditional, i.e. govt job or teaching somewhere in the west, which would it be? I'm concerned that if you're not gunning for NYC biglaw, Columbia may not know what to do with you....

Your concerns are misplaced. Columbia's national placement is remarkable. For national big law placement, CLS is almost as good at Harvard and better than Chicago. Here's a useful link:

http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/student ... w/data.htm

And if you are interested in "a govt. job or teaching somewhere in the west," then Berkeley (if you've been accepted there) would be a better choice than either Chicago or CLS.


How do you conclude that CLS is better than Chicago based on the link provided?

Actually, I take it back. You were right to call me on this. Relative to class size, CLS does better in U of C's home market (Chicago) than U of C does in CLS's home market (NYC). But, overall, both schools seem roughly equivalent in their ability to place graduates in various markets around the nation.

In any case, I think we can agree that, contrary to the OP's concerns, a CLS degree is quite useful outside of NYC.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Columbia vs. Chicago vs. Duke for Denver/Portland

Postby Rand M. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:15 am

Dignan wrote:In any case, I think we can agree that, contrary to the OP's concerns, a CLS degree is quite useful outside of NYC.


Agreed, I'm not sure where you got that notion from OP, but CLS would definitely "know what to do with you." They really place grads in every market and every job in the field. Either of CC is a good bet to take you where you want to go in this case. I'm not sure if you have been accepted yet, but if you have then these are terrific options to have. Good luck with the choice.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests