Acceptances -- LSAT Retake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wh3931110

Acceptances -- LSAT Retake

Postby wh3931110 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:18 pm

I am not 100% sure that this is the right board for this question but I figured I could get some good insight if I went ahead and posted it here anyway (I will go ahead and post on another board also).

I have been accepted and wait listed at a decent amount of "Tier 2" schools as well as accepted at some Tier 3 schools with scholarship money. I have been debating taking the June LSAT to try and raise my score, to try and pull myself off of the wait lists and/or consider sitting out until next year and reapplying to other schools.

However, if I do worse, even way worse, then I did previously do I run any risk of the schools that have admitted me, rescinding my acceptances? Also, would it all but certainly knock me out of contention at the schools I am waiting on?

What I am trying to figure out is what exactly would I be risking by taking the June LSAT (if anything)... Any comments and/or advice would be great

Thank you all so much!

joonhp

Re: Acceptances -- LSAT Retake

Postby joonhp » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:22 pm

I am in the same situation and will be taking again in June. I really think that unless you are a horrible test taker, there is no possible way you will do worse on the exam if you prepare as you should.

wh3931110

Postby wh3931110 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Nice to know that someone else is grappling with this also -- I am a pretty bad test taker to be honest. I prepared pretty well for my first attempt and was disappointed with the result, and if I went ahead and gave June a shot I would be doing it on about 1 months worth of study.

joonhp

Postby joonhp » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 pm

wh3931110 wrote:Nice to know that someone else is grappling with this also -- I am a pretty bad test taker to be honest. I prepared pretty well for my first attempt and was disappointed with the result, and if I went ahead and gave June a shot I would be doing it on about 1 months worth of study.

why's that? you have 2 months from today! you can do it~

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:00 am

wh3931110 wrote:
However, if I do worse, even way worse, then I did previously do I run any risk of the schools that have admitted me, rescinding my acceptances? Also, would it all but certainly knock me out of contention at the schools I am waiting on?

In the scenario that you do horribly worse:
Schools that you have already been accepted to will most likely not rescind your acceptance. You may want to ask them just to be sure, but I'm about 90% certain that they won't. The schools only have to report your highest score and they say they are usually understanding that people have rough days and may perform poorly.

Schools that you are waiting on will probably have a marginal effect on their decision but won't be an automatic reject. I took the LSAT multiple times and actually dropped a few points on my last try, however I did have a legitimate explanation for it. It hasn't significantly changed my cycle, I've gotten into the schools I expected to get into and even hit some reaches. Beware of schools that still average, although I don't really believe they do even though they say it.

I'd say go for it and retake it once again. You really have nothing to lose (except time). If you do bad then just attend a school that you've already been accepted to. If you do improve then you have a chance of making it off of a waitlist, maybe leverage more scholarship money, or have the option of reapplying early next year with a higher score. I was personally considering retaking for the previous reasons, however I was lazy and didn't think I could significantly improve my score to achieve those benefits -something to also keep in mind.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”