NYU ($$) vs. Columbia (sticker price)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JWicker10

NYU ($$) vs. Columbia (sticker price)

Postby JWicker10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:59 pm

First off, as a long time lurker I'd like to thank all that have posted for providing good insight throughout this year's admissions cycle. I know that it has certainly helped me out immensely.

Ok, now onto my post.

As my offers now stand, I have been offered a scholarship to NYU in the range of approximately 1/3 tuition. I am still pending an award at Columbia, but have not received anything to date. I was curious to get feedback on what you all think the better of the two offers would be. I know I have my leanings, however I'd like a completely unbiased shot at this. If you decide to respond and feel that NYU is the better offer, I'd also like to know how much it would take from Columbia in your opinion to be competitive.

It's also important to note that I will be financing tuition and all contiguous living expenses completely on my own in the form of federal and private loans.

Moreover, I am most interested in corporate law/Big Law, and most likely corporate litigation.

Thanks for any feedback you might have.

Illijah

Re: NYU ($$) vs. Columbia (sticker price)

Postby Illijah » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:52 pm

This is a decision where you are going to have to just VISIT.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:36 pm

assuming you get nothing from cls, nyu's the better offer

for most people, i'm guessing it would take 1/6 to 1/3 tuition for CLS to be competitive

eagles111

Postby eagles111 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:41 pm

in exactly the same boat. I'm going to both asw's this week to get a feel for them both. I'm still hoping columbia comes through with something comparable but if not, barring something amazing/terrible this week, I'm probably going to take $$ rather than pay sticker.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:50 pm

I think unless you have a particular aversion to NYU (hate the village, don't like the people you meet at ASW) or particular love for Columbia (visit it and fall in love), NYU is the choice here. The job prospects just aren't appreciably different enough to give up money for one or the other.

Absent the above factors, for CLS to be competitive I would say it would have to be a functionally comparable offer (i.e., no more than a few thousand dollars' difference).
Last edited by imchuckbass58 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JWicker10

Postby JWicker10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Ya, I've been killing myself over this the last few weeks. I attended both ASW's in March, and I did prefer Columbia slightly.

Postby 270910 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:I think unless you have a particular aversion to NYU (hate the village, don't like the people you meet at ASW) or particular love for Columbia (visit it and fall in love), NYU is the choice here. The job prospects just aren't appreciably different enough to give up money for one or the other.

Absent the above factors, for CLS to be compettive I would say it would have to be a functionally comparable offer (i.e., no more than a few thousand dollars' difference).

Perfect, comprehensive analysis. /thread

Return to “Choosing a Law School”