Duke v. Northwestern Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke ($) v. Northwestern ($)

Duke (45K)
59%
Northwestern (60K)
41%

Total votes: 29

strokes788

New

Duke v. Northwestern

Post by strokes788 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Mitigating Factors:

1). Will have just turned 22, and on occasion, am still mistaken for a high school senior or junior. Thus the age of the class and having in the 22-25 range is preferred

2). Cost of living is a factor, in that, I don't want to be super in-debt when I graduate and I know big cities tend to have higher COL (went to undergrad in La and can say at least with La the big city big cost assessment is accurate)

3). Biggest preferences for practicing law, from first to last: California (preferably LA/Socal), D.C., New York, Boston, Chicago. Heavily leaning towards California as first priority for future career

4). Aiming for a career in Biglaw

5). Type of environment, i.e. collegial, competitive but not cut-throat, friendly atmosphere, etc.

6). Faculty - both the strength of the faculty and availability to their students

I attended admitted student weekend at Duke, and absolutely loved it, however I also love big cities as well, having lived in and gone to school in them my entire life, and so I could see myself loving Northwestern after visiting as well. If anyone has any thoughts based on the mitigating factors above, I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you!

strokes788

New

Re: Duke v. Northwestern

Post by strokes788 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:17 pm

Also, I'd greatly appreciate any perspectives from current students at either school. Thank you!

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:27 pm

I don't think anyone is going to be able to give you a definitive answer. You're getting more $$ from Northwestern, but the COL difference will balance that out somewhat. They are equivalent choices with very similar job opportunities. It's just too close of a call to say one is better.

You might want to check out the OCI list for each and find out about California placement. I bet at both, it will be possible but not exactly a lock to get Cali Biglaw.

strokes788

New

Post by strokes788 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:07 pm

scribelaw wrote:I don't think anyone is going to be able to give you a definitive answer. You're getting more $$ from Northwestern, but the COL difference will balance that out somewhat. They are equivalent choices with very similar job opportunities. It's just too close of a call to say one is better.

You might want to check out the OCI list for each and find out about California placement. I bet at both, it will be possible but not exactly a lock to get Cali Biglaw.
Yeah, I think ASW at NW will be the final piece, and give me enough info to definitely choose one or the other (I wish NW didn't move the deposit deadline to April 16th for scholarship recipients. Way more stresssful that way)

yourdadcalled

New

Post by yourdadcalled » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:44 pm

They are two very different-feeling schools. I preferred Duke, but you should check out both schools and see which one you like more. I doubt that one lessens your career opportunities significantly over the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:47 pm

strokes788 wrote:
scribelaw wrote:I don't think anyone is going to be able to give you a definitive answer. You're getting more $$ from Northwestern, but the COL difference will balance that out somewhat. They are equivalent choices with very similar job opportunities. It's just too close of a call to say one is better.

Yeah, I think ASW at NW will be the final piece, and give me enough info to definitely choose one or the other (I wish NW didn't move the deposit deadline to April 16th for scholarship recipients. Way more stresssful that way)
That's awesome that you got an offer from Northwestern! So far, I've gotten stiffed from them.

Bump this thread when you finally decide. I'd be interested to see.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:49 pm

strokes788 wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=113281

Come to the meetup, there will be NU students who will talk you into NU.

strokes788

New

Post by strokes788 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Ah wish I could but unfortunately my flight arrives pretty late Thursday evening so I won't be able to make it. I am leaning pretty far to Duke right now however I want to go into the weekend with an open mind to see if NW has more pros than cons over Duke and sways me in their direction

strokes788

New

Post by strokes788 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:21 pm

scribelaw wrote:
strokes788 wrote:

That's awesome that you got an offer from Northwestern! So far, I've gotten stiffed from them.

Bump this thread when you finally decide. I'd be interested to see.
And definitely, as soon as I've sent my seat deposit at whichever school I choose to attend, I'll definitely let you know and why I made the decision I end up making

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:16 pm

OP,

The schools are so close in quality, and the overall COA so similar, that this really should come down to which environment you feel more comfortable in. Neither is going to have a significant advantage over the other for a California firm job.

thecubiclelife

New

Post by thecubiclelife » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:42 pm

strokes788 wrote:Mitigating Factors:

1). Will have just turned 22, and on occasion, am still mistaken for a high school senior or junior. Thus the age of the class and having in the 22-25 range is preferred

2). Cost of living is a factor, in that, I don't want to be super in-debt when I graduate and I know big cities tend to have higher COL (went to undergrad in La and can say at least with La the big city big cost assessment is accurate)

3). Biggest preferences for practicing law, from first to last: California (preferably LA/Socal), D.C., New York, Boston, Chicago. Heavily leaning towards California as first priority for future career

4). Aiming for a career in Biglaw

5). Type of environment, i.e. collegial, competitive but not cut-throat, friendly atmosphere, etc.

6). Faculty - both the strength of the faculty and availability to their students

I attended admitted student weekend at Duke, and absolutely loved it, however I also love big cities as well, having lived in and gone to school in them my entire life, and so I could see myself loving Northwestern after visiting as well. If anyone has any thoughts based on the mitigating factors above, I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you!
Haha, I was just about to post the same poll but I guess you beat me to it. I can't attend the upcoming NU ASW, but let us know how it goes...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”