Columbia v. Cornell ($$$) for International Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose for International Law??

Columbia (sticker)
43%
Cornell ($120K over 3 years)
43%
UVA ($75K over 3 years)
14%

Total votes: 28

rachelburns

Columbia v. Cornell ($$$) for International Law

Postby rachelburns » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello TLS bloggers! I know that everyone is posting polls now that decision time is upon us, but I was just curious what comments and opinions people might have on the subject..... I want to study international law and work for an international organization such as the UN, so Columbia's #1 program in international law is very appealing. However, I am not convinced that the opportunities an education from Columbia would provide me with are worth the $120,000+ extra cost over Cornell or UVA (both have decent international law programs with UVA's ranked higher than Cornell's). I suppose it comes down to the age old question of taking the good school with money or the best school at sticker. I am terrified of a $200K debt upon graduation, especially given that I'm not gunning for big law, but Columbia's international law program really does seem to be unmatched....

Boba Fett

Re: Columbia v. Cornell ($$$) for International Law

Postby Boba Fett » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:39 pm

rachelburns wrote:Hello TLS bloggers! I know that everyone is posting polls now that decision time is upon us, but I was just curious what comments and opinions people might have on the subject..... I want to study international law and work for an international organization such as the UN, so Columbia's #1 program in international law is very appealing. However, I am not convinced that the opportunities an education from Columbia would provide me with are worth the $120,000+ extra cost over Cornell or UVA (both have decent international law programs with UVA's ranked higher than Cornell's). I suppose it comes down to the age old question of taking the good school with money or the best school at sticker. I am terrified of a $200K debt upon graduation, especially given that I'm not gunning for big law, but Columbia's international law program really does seem to be unmatched....

You want a high-quality International Law education, you say? Save yourself the money, read this instead: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/7929.html

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Since jobs in the field of international law are so ephemeral, I'd go with the best possible school you get into.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm always tempted to dissuade people from going to Columbia in every single thread, because I'm held there, and I really want to go.

Go to the school that will give you the best opportunities: Columbia.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:51 pm

putting aside the fact that the type of job you are talking about is highly competitive and rare, are you planning on applying for a dual degree (either an LLM or a degree from another country)? I know Cornell offers a few of these.

jonas

Postby jonas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:36 pm

If you look at Columbia's LRAP program, the debt will seem less scary.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... l_aid/LRAP

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:36 pm

jonas wrote:If you look at Columbia's LRAP program, the debt will seem less scary.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... l_aid/LRAP

Also this. CLS LRAP is stellar

Return to “Choosing a Law School”