JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Northwestern 3 yr JD/MBA
12
15%
Penn 3 yr JD/MBA
55
71%
Columbia 4 yr JD/MBA
11
14%
 
Total votes: 78

cc534128
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 pm

JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby cc534128 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Got into the law and business schools for Northwestern (3 yr JD/MBA), Penn (3 yr JD/MBA), and Columbia (4 yr JD/MBA). Northwestern has the more integrated program, I think, since it's been around longer than Penn Law/Wharton's 3 yr JD/MBA program. But I really loved Wharton when I visited and sat in on classes. I'm checking out Penn Law this weekend, so maybe it'll be an easier decision once I can see whether I connect with the school or not. Columbia Business School didn't really give me the warm fuzzies, but the law school has amazing resources. However, it's an extra year in the most expensive city. From the Midwest, so Northwestern would put me closer to family. I haven't heard on scholarship/fellowships at any of these schools, so they're all on equal footing right now in that respect. I think I'm leaning towards one of the schools, but wanted to put this out there to get others' thoughts. Thanks!

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Wharton. It is a class above the other business schools mentioned. Otherwise, CLS because the legal degree is so much better than the other options.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby Flanker1067 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:36 pm

I voted for Penn, obviously all are good choices, and I don't have a great reason. That being said, I think it would help if you told us what you wanted to do. If you wanted to practice law, I think Columbia would have the upper hand. Business, then Penn or NU.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby Flanker1067 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:37 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Wharton. It is a class above the other business schools mentioned. Otherwise, CLS because the legal degree is so much better than the other options.


Is Wharton in a class above Kellogg? I don't know much about business school but I know they are ranked the same in USNWR. I am interested to see employment data maybe?

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:Wharton. It is a class above the other business schools mentioned. Otherwise, CLS because the legal degree is so much better than the other options.


Is Wharton in a class above Kellogg? I don't know much about business school but I know they are ranked the same in USNWR. I am interested to see employment data maybe?

HWS is the top-tier. Kellogg is below that with like Booth and Sloan.

User avatar
Dtackpat75
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby Dtackpat75 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:45 pm

At the ASW Columbia announced that they are supoosedly adding a 3 year JD/MBA option but I still haven't heard anything else about it.

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby mrm2083 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

I would give my first born to be able to do a JD/MBA at Penn

cc534128
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby cc534128 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:I voted for Penn, obviously all are good choices, and I don't have a great reason. That being said, I think it would help if you told us what you wanted to do. If you wanted to practice law, I think Columbia would have the upper hand. Business, then Penn or NU.


I want to practice law for a few years, but I don't think I'll stay in law for the rest of my life. As of right now, I'm thinking I'll probably start in biglaw and then go in-house and/or end up in a more entrepreneurial setting that relates to the area of law I focus in on. I'm thinking environmental/cleantech or finance right now, but I'll probably actually figure it out once I'm in school.

cc534128
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby cc534128 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:At the ASW Columbia announced that they are supoosedly adding a 3 year JD/MBA option but I still haven't heard anything else about it.


I heard something similar from my friend who graduated from CLS last year, but she isn't sure when it would be implemented, if at all...

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby Dignan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:51 pm

cc534128 wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:At the ASW Columbia announced that they are supoosedly adding a 3 year JD/MBA option but I still haven't heard anything else about it.


I heard something similar from my friend who graduated from CLS last year, but she isn't sure when it would be implemented, if at all...

Well, at the ASW in March, the Dean announced that the faculty had just voted to approve the program. Apparently, the program won't officially start until 2011, but a student starting in 2010 will be able to switch over after their 1L year (which is always all law classes anyway for the joint degree) and then finish the JD/MBA in three years.

The OP should, of course, directly contact CLS about this.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:54 am

Is Harvard or Stanford completely out of the question? If you could get into one of those 2 schools you would get the best of both worlds -- i.e. a JD and MBA from a school that is at the way top in both programs. I'd imagine the options for a Harvard of Stanford JD/MBA would be a shitton better than the options you get from any of these 3 schools (even if it meant going to school for 4 years).

cc534128
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby cc534128 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:51 am

Dignan wrote:
cc534128 wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:At the ASW Columbia announced that they are supoosedly adding a 3 year JD/MBA option but I still haven't heard anything else about it.


I heard something similar from my friend who graduated from CLS last year, but she isn't sure when it would be implemented, if at all...

Well, at the ASW in March, the Dean announced that the faculty had just voted to approve the program. Apparently, the program won't officially start until 2011, but a student starting in 2010 will be able to switch over after their 1L year (which is always all law classes anyway for the joint degree) and then finish the JD/MBA in three years.

The OP should, of course, directly contact CLS about this.


Thanks for the info!

cc534128
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby cc534128 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:52 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:Is Harvard or Stanford completely out of the question? If you could get into one of those 2 schools you would get the best of both worlds -- i.e. a JD and MBA from a school that is at the way top in both programs. I'd imagine the options for a Harvard of Stanford JD/MBA would be a shitton better than the options you get from any of these 3 schools (even if it meant going to school for 4 years).


Stanford's out. I find out about HBS today and haven't heard anything from Harvard Law yet...

cc534128
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby cc534128 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:42 pm

In at HBS...might have to wait this one out and figure out what's going on with HLS...

FCD
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby FCD » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:54 pm

If in it a HLS, it's a no-brainer. It doesn't get much more prestigious than the HLS/HBS combo.

Even if you don't get into HLS, you may want to just go to HBS, it's that good.... although Wharton isn't far behind and if you definitely want to do the JD/MBA, I'm sure you'd have no regrets doing the combo at Penn.

Penn is the obvious choice over NW as both the Business and Law schools are better. I'd take it over Columbia too, even if Columbia was a 3 year program -- there's greater separation IMO between Wharton and CBS than between CLS and Penn Law and at Penn at least one of the programs is in the absolute top tier whereas at Columbia both are sort of second rung, behind HYS and HWS.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: JD/MBA: Northwestern vs. Penn vs. Columbia

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:13 pm

FCD wrote:If in it a HLS, it's a no-brainer. It doesn't get much more prestigious than the HLS/HBS combo.

Even if you don't get into HLS, you may want to just go to HBS, it's that good.... although Wharton isn't far behind and if you definitely want to do the JD/MBA, I'm sure you'd have no regrets doing the combo at Penn.

Penn is the obvious choice over NW as both the Business and Law schools are better. I'd take it over Columbia too, even if Columbia was a 3 year program -- there's greater separation IMO between Wharton and CBS than between CLS and Penn Law and at Penn at least one of the programs is in the absolute top tier whereas at Columbia both are sort of second rung, behind HYS and HWS.


This.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests