Illinoic (UIUC, $$) vs. UC Irvine ($$) vs. Hastings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go: UIUC, Irvine, or Hastings?

Illinois (UIUC, $$)
21%
UC Irvine ($$)
62%
Hastings (trying to get $$...)
17%

Total votes: 100

Danteshek

Re: Illinoic (UIUC, $$) vs. UC Irvine ($$) vs. Hastings

Postby Danteshek » Sun May 02, 2010 4:54 pm

UCLA1LHopeful wrote:
Danteshek wrote:[strike]My point is that UCI must justify its existence by emphasizing its value to the community. That argument is complete bullshit, because UCI's main objective is to be a top school, not to be a school that serves the community. CUNY in NYC is a school that serves the community. UCI's schtick is utterly hypocritical. If UCI really cared about serving the community, they would not care about the school's rank.
[/strike]

Have fun at Southwestern's unemployment line!

Explain to me again why it is our state's best interest to subsidize this person's education?

Postby 20160810 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:
UCLA1LHopeful wrote:
Danteshek wrote:[strike]My point is that UCI must justify its existence by emphasizing its value to the community. That argument is complete bullshit, because UCI's main objective is to be a top school, not to be a school that serves the community. CUNY in NYC is a school that serves the community. UCI's schtick is utterly hypocritical. If UCI really cared about serving the community, they would not care about the school's rank.
[/strike]

Explain to me again why it is our state's best interest to subsidize this person's education?

So that we can all lol when UCI stops giving everyone free rides and their ranking drops from 2X to 8X.

ViP

Postby ViP » Sun May 02, 2010 6:24 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
UCLA1LHopeful wrote:
[/strike]

So that we can all lol when UCI stops giving everyone free rides and their ranking drops from 2X to 8X.

... as if that has anything to do with UCLA1LHopeful's comment...

I recall a certain someone on the previous page maturely commenting on the UCI situation, stating that "time will tell."

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sun May 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Damn VIP you are as bad of a UCI troll as 'swheat' is a Hastings troll.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun May 02, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm glad this thread has turned into a thread about my job prospects (aka dick swinging contest) :)
I would also be perfectly happy to compare my 1L accomplishments/jobs (aka job prospects) with anyone in this thread.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun May 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Danteshek wrote:I'm glad this thread has turned into a thread about my job prospects (aka dick swinging contest) :)
I would also be perfectly happy to compare my 1L accomplishments/jobs (aka job prospects) with anyone in this thread.

0L with landscaping and farm hand experience

beat that

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:38 pm

Ok, everybody. Whip 'em out.

--ImageRemoved--

Postby 20160810 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Borhas wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I'm glad this thread has turned into a thread about my job prospects (aka dick swinging contest) :)

0L with landscaping and farm hand experience

beat that

Best post in thread.

Postby 20160810 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:31 pm

ViP wrote:

I recall a certain someone on the previous page maturely commenting on the UCI situation, stating that "time will tell."

Calm down bro. It was a joke.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:05 pm

calapp09 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:I agree that I don't think UCI will be a purely PI school - they're unaccredited so students won't be eligible for any federal government work (DOJ, SEC, etc). So much of the most prestigious PI won't be available to UCI students.

I'm working for the DOJ for the summer, and the Director of the Homeland Security Honors Program/ former Director of the DOJ Honors Program recently came to UCI for a recruitment workshop to encourage us to think about applying.

Thank you for this. I was trying to find something verifying calapp09's statement on the DOJ website and was unable to do so. You being hired is further proof. I will be attending UCI in the fall. I would love to know more about your summer experience once it is complete.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:13 pm

Borhas wrote:ok, what do you mean by "region"

the OC residents?
UC Irvine faculty/admins?
OC lawyers?

I just have a hard time imagining OC residents drinking beer by their pools and talking about how the OC needs more lawyers because UCLA, USC, USD, Southwestern, and Chapman just couldn't produce enough lawyers for them.

One of the local attorneys at the ASD reception at UCI was explaining that part of why his firm is looking forward to hiring UCI grads is that they hire a lot of UCLA and USC grads that really want the LA market and they leave after a few years. For those who actually are committed to staying in Orange County, I think the job opportunities will be strong.

If UCI ends up ranking well, strong students who actually want to work in the OC region will be very attracted to the school in the future.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun May 02, 2010 11:23 pm

pany1985 wrote:Ok, everybody. Whip 'em out.

--ImageRemoved--

15-inch ruler makes me feel smaller

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun May 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Also I do commercial construction for $15 an hour. I made $11 until a couple months after I got licensed by the state.

ViP

Postby ViP » Mon May 03, 2010 12:11 am

General Tso wrote:Damn VIP you are as bad of a UCI troll as 'swheat' is a Hastings troll.

UCI needs advocates because it's new and nobody knows anything about it. I happily provide info about UCI because I've studied it extensively. I don't see how there's anything wrong with responding if 90% of the stuff TLSers say about UCI is unfounded and there are no UCI students to stand up for their school.

This thread has generally been very informative, though. Some very level-headed people.

ViP

Postby ViP » Mon May 03, 2010 12:15 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
ViP wrote:

Calm down bro. It was a joke.

No problem, I understand. Sorry for coming off too harsh. Your comment seemed a bit misplaced, though, considering that guy has never said he's attending UCI (not that I could find, at least).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”