Cornell's Tuition to Eclipse $50,000 next year

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
theantiscalia

Re: Cornell's Tuition to Eclipse $50,000 next year

Postby theantiscalia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Maybe they'll be using the tuition increase to hire some admissions people so that application review don't take an eternity... seriously, Cornell, get your sh*t together.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:25 pm

keg411 wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
keg411 wrote:She's a 3L :lol:

Um, ok. Not sure how relevant that is. Does she actually rent a 1br for $400/mo? .

No, but the way you said "plenty of kids" in a lovely condescending tone I thought that you thought she was an undergrad. If you save $$$$ by having roommates, what's the big deal? I'd rather pay $350/month with roommates than $1k-ish without. It seems like a waste of money.

The point is most adults aren't in situations where they want/are able to easily have room mates. For purposes of housing expense, I think most law students assume we are discussing the cost of a 1 br/studio unless otherwise specified. I know someone can have three room mates if I wanted to pay $200/month but that's not realistic to most people's situation.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:31 pm

keg411 wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
keg411 wrote:She's a 3L :lol:

Um, ok. Not sure how relevant that is. Does she actually rent a 1br for $400/mo? .

No, but the way you said "plenty of kids" in a lovely condescending tone I thought that you thought she was an undergrad. If you save $$$$ by having roommates, what's the big deal? I'd rather pay $350/month with roommates than $1k-ish without. It seems like a waste of money.

Well, considering how often you state that you have a 3L sister, I'm not sure why anyone would think she is an undergrad. It's not a "big deal" to have roommates. But like I stated earlier, what your big adult sister is paying to rent a room somewhere is not terribly informative for ppl wanting to know what the cost of single apartments might be.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:36 pm

Everyone agrees that some people should be deterred from pursuing legal education. I guess this is their way of doing it and being profitable at the same time...just hike tuition. Scary thought is what schools like CLS and the rest might do.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:39 pm

PDaddy wrote:Everyone agrees that some people should be deterred from pursuing legal education. I guess this is their way of doing it and being profitable at the same time...just hike tuition. Scary thought is what schools like CLS and the rest might do.

I think it has more to do with the status of their endowment.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:47 pm

kn6542 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Everyone agrees that some people should be deterred from pursuing legal education. I guess this is their way of doing it and being profitable at the same time...just hike tuition. Scary thought is what schools like CLS and the rest might do.

I think it has more to do with the status of their endowment.

TITCR. Their endowment is smaller than many law schools which are lower ranked.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:54 am

Helmholtz wrote:If you factor in COL, it's still about the same price as Cardozo plus or minus a thousand dollars a year or so.

Exactly.

groundkontrol

Postby groundkontrol » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:03 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
keg411 wrote:
jks289 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:If you factor in COL, it's still about the same price as Cardozo plus or minus a thousand dollars a year or so.

I was actually surprised how expensive housing is for Ithaca. (Ha, looking at housing for a school that hasn't let me in is so sad. :( ) Not NYC expensive, but comparable to mid-size cities and especially to other college towns, it seems kind of outrageous.

Housing is NOT expensive in Ithaca. My sis pays like $400/month (if that). I dunno where you're getting that idea from.

It depends for where and for what you're looking. If you want to be in collegetown, an eh studio will run you around $700/month. I'm an undergad now and know plenty of people paying over $1k a month at places like 312 and Eddy Gate. If you get outside of collegetown though, prices can drop of dramatically, from what I here. The convenience is really worth the $$, IMO, though, especially in the winter.

I did undergrad at Cornell too. If you have roommates a place in Collegetown should cost between $600-$850. Living in a place like 312, Eddygate, or Collegetown Plaza doesn't really make sense to me. Yeah those places are nice but definitely not worth the NYC prices.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:09 am

D. H2Oman wrote:

Exactly.

+1

Although it's not the same education so you're both wrong.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 am

keg411 wrote:If you save $$$$ by having roommates, what's the big deal? I'd rather pay $350/month with roommates than $1k-ish without. It seems like a waste of money.

That you don't need something else to stress about in law school, especially as a 1L. Minimizing distractions and annoyances = a happier time and better chances of getting good grades. Worth the small price, IMO. (Note: I don't mean to nonchalantly cast aside a few thousand dollars over the course of the year as chump change. But when you're looking at six figures of debt anyway, you're not really any worse off and it would seem even more important to have good grades with that debt.)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”