Pepperdine versus Cardozo?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Cardozo-Yeshiva
82%
Pepperdine
18%

Total votes: 11

MHustle620

Pepperdine versus Cardozo?

Postby MHustle620 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:57 am

I know typically these discussions are about schools in the same regions or weighing scholarships against prestige, but I have a unique situation on my hands.

As seat deposit deadlines loom, I've narrowed down my list of schools to two. Pepperdine in Malibu and Cardozo in New York. In addition to both of these schools being similarly ranked, they have offered me similar scholarships.

Cardozo is favored in my mind because of personal luxuries (I have lived on the East Coast for the majority of my life, therefore going there would be less distant from what I know), but I would like the objective arguments of TLSers in making my final decision.

Is it really a wash between these schools? Should it come down to where I'm personally more comfortable? I know the first instinct might be to tell me to go to Pepperdine if I favor LA and Cardozo if NYC is preferable, but as I am interested in Entertainment Law and Dispute resolution, both cities and schools seem to be comparable.

If anyone has an opinion on these schools that they consider to be objective and enlightening, please let me know.

reverendt

Re: Pepperdine versus Cardozo?

Postby reverendt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:10 pm

I think you answered your own question to an extent. Much about these schools seems to be equal (although no doubt some tool will start quoting sources showing that more students from one school or the other go on to biglaw....these people have never heard of self-selection).
Where do you want to work? They're both regional schools.
Will one or the other be cheaper?
Which one are you more excited about/would you be more comfortable at.
Pepperdine is a very conservative school with a pretty religious student body from what I understand.
Cardozo (while officially a religious school) operates in a basically secular manner and is in the middle of the Greenwich Village...not exactly a bastion of conservatism. In which environment would you be more comfortable?

How about professors? You seem to know what you wanna do....which school has professors that might have contacts that could help you? Does one have any kind of entertainment law practicum or something?

MHustle620

Postby MHustle620 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:31 pm

While I was quite taken by both schools, Pepperdine seems to be inherently disadvantaged because it's regional nature commits me to a part of the country I've never lived in before for several years. Los Angeles has the benefit of weather I prefer without sacrificing the Entertainment market, but if I were to find I didn't like living out there, I would imagine the situation to be trying.

Both schools have strong programs in what I believe I'm interested in (although, I wouldn't be surprised if that changed). While Cardozo is slightly more expensive, the margin is not larger than a few thousand dollars per year - negligible considering that I'll be over $100,000 in debt either way. In visiting both schools, religious affiliation did not strike me as significant.

I guess I just want to make sure that Cardozo is the right choice because this truly comes down to my own comfort - my family and friends, as well as general familiarity, will be closer if I study there. I get the impression that this rarely is the point of decision for most prospective law students - everyone else is more concerned with BigLaw placement, rankings, and sticker prices. Therefore, I thought this would be a good place to confirm that these two schools are comparable in quality, and my preference for what is closer to my comfort zone is not making me overlook a key detail that separates one school from the other.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:50 pm

MHustle620 wrote:While I was quite taken by both schools, Pepperdine seems to be inherently disadvantaged because it's regional nature commits me to a part of the country I've never lived in before for several years. Los Angeles has the benefit of weather I prefer without sacrificing the Entertainment market, but if I were to find I didn't like living out there, I would imagine the situation to be trying.

Both schools have strong programs in what I believe I'm interested in (although, I wouldn't be surprised if that changed). While Cardozo is slightly more expensive, the margin is not larger than a few thousand dollars per year - negligible considering that I'll be over $100,000 in debt either way. In visiting both schools, religious affiliation did not strike me as significant.

I guess I just want to make sure that Cardozo is the right choice because this truly comes down to my own comfort - my family and friends, as well as general familiarity, will be closer if I study there. I get the impression that this rarely is the point of decision for most prospective law students - everyone else is more concerned with BigLaw placement, rankings, and sticker prices. Therefore, I thought this would be a good place to confirm that these two schools are comparable in quality, and my preference for what is closer to my comfort zone is not making me overlook a key detail that separates one school from the other.

It sounds like you'll make the right choice going to Cardozo. Location was one of, it not the most, important factor I considered in wanting to go to law school. I got in to several out of state schools that were better or comparable to the one I ultimately chose in CA; I wanted to practice in CA and I was familiar and comfortable here. Its a bit daunting to think about living somewhere for 3 years that you are not familiar with. Unless you have time to visit and get really excited about living in southern California it sounds like the safer, and more practical option is NY.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”