Greater West Coast portability, Penn or GULC?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school has greater L.A. portability?

Penn
64%
GULC
13%
Same-Same
23%

Total votes: 39

ihurtmyselftoday

Greater West Coast portability, Penn or GULC?

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:53 am

I currently live in Philadelphia and will likely be going to school on the east coast (decision pending from NU and UCLA). I've been accepted to GULC and am on the WL for Penn. I originally thought I'd immediately accept an offer of admission from Penn and would even be willing to pay sticker.

But, being an L.A. native, I'd like to have the opportunity to practice in SoCal if I decide that's where I want to practice. I'm wondering which of Penn or GULC has greater placement in Southern California? I'm leaning toward GULC as having better west coast placement. I've come to this conclusion because according to NALP data, more L.A. firms do OCIs at GULC than Penn. But does anyone have any other placement info that contradicts this? Among L.A. based hiring partners, does Penn's higher ranking carry any weight in California?

Thanks in advance for your input.

RVP11

Re: Greater West Coast portability, Penn or GULC?

Postby RVP11 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:03 am

More firms doing OCI at GULC shouldn't mean that much. GULC has way more students, and more students = more firms at OCI, generally.

Penn is better than GULC virtually everywhere. No reason why that shouldn't also be the case in LA.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:12 am

I voted same-same for the following reason:

If you do well at GULC, you are probably in a better position than Penn because of the number of LA employers showing up to OCI. Sure, there are more students at GULC, but you can't do OCI with a firm that doesn't show up. Direct writing can work, but it's way better to have a face-to-face.

If you don't do quite as well, you might get shutout of biglaw altogether at GULC. But there are way too man anti-GULC trolls on that site- placement really isn't all that different ITE.

Pick your poison.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:13 am

Penn.....I know several 2Ls who had LA & NOR Cali offers....and the smaller class size + the regional interviews the Penn does out there I think make it better the GULC, in Cali.

ihurtmyselftoday

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 am

underachiever wrote:Penn.....I know several 2Ls who had LA & NOR Cali offers....and the smaller class size + the regional interviews the Penn does out there I think make it better the GULC, in Cali.

I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you mean to say that Penn sends students to the pacific region for interviews, or are L.A. firms present at regional job fairs in the Northeast?

I'm not sure how either would give Penn the edge on GULC when actual OCI attendance is considered.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:24 am

Am I missing something?

On LSN I see 120 California firms going to GULC, and 88 going to Penn. That's not a game-changing difference.

ihurtmyselftoday

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:34 am

RVP11 wrote:Am I missing something?

On LSN I see 120 California firms going to GULC, and 88 going to Penn. That's not a game-changing difference.

I've looked at the numbers for L.A. firms only. I wouldn't be suprised to find more San Francisco based firms at Penn for OCI. Even still, I don't know what you mean by "game-changing" but I would say that 32 more firms at GULC is a significant difference and may suggest that GULC has more leverage in California than Penn.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:36 am

ihurtmyselftoday wrote:
RVP11 wrote:Am I missing something?

I've looked at the numbers for L.A. firms only. I wouldn't be suprised to find more San Francisco based firms at Penn for OCI. Even still, I don't know what you mean by "game-changing" but I would say that 32 more firms at GULC is a significant difference and may suggest that GULC has more leverage in California than Penn.

GULC has more students. GULC therefore has more students from California. More of the non-V100 California firms are therefore more likely to go to GULC for OCI, but it does not necessarily say anything about their actual hiring preferences. Firms look at the geographic compositions of student bodies and often make their decisions on where they interview on where they can get the highest volume of people with local ties rather than on where they most want to hire.

Besides, I'm sure most (all?) of the V100 LA offices are attending OCI at both.

ihurtmyselftoday

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:59 am

RVP11 wrote: Besides, I'm sure most [strike](all?)[/strike]of the V100 LA offices are attending OCI at both.

V100 L.A. firms:
O'Melveny & [deleted]: OCI @ GULC
Gibson, Dunn, & Crutcher: OCI @ Both
Latham & Watkins: OCI @ Both
Quinn Emanuel: Neither :shock:
Irell & Manella: Both

Touche.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:54 am

ihurtmyselftoday wrote:
RVP11 wrote: Besides, I'm sure most [strike](all?)[/strike]of the V100 LA offices are attending OCI at both.

V100 L.A. firms:
O'Melveny & [deleted]: OCI @ GULC
Gibson, Dunn, & Crutcher: OCI @ Both
Latham & Watkins: OCI @ Both
Quinn Emanuel: Neither :shock:
Irell & Manella: Both

Touche.

Add Munger: OCI @ neither.

QE and OMM (LA) both have short lists of schools where they do OCI. I've never understood that. Neither firm's LA office goes to Penn or UVA. Yet OMM (SF), a pretty small office, goes to both Penn and UVA. :?

Keep in mind Skadden, K&E, Sidley, Jones Day, Milbank Tweed, Paul Hastings, Akin Gump, DLA, Proskauer, McDermott, and Reed Smith all have decent-sized LA offices, too, and it would be very surprising if any of these weren't at Penn OCI yet made it down to Georgetown.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”