Parking at Cornell?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Oberlion

Parking at Cornell?

Postby Oberlion » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 pm

I know that there have been similar threads to this one, but I cannot find any that address my particular questions:

Is there anyway to have a car in Ithaca and not pay the $600 p/year that it costs to keep it on campus, or in one of the area's garages (this just seems like a ridiculous cost for a school that's in the middle of nowhere)?

Do most apartments in the area have their own parking? What about parking for people planning to live in Hughes?

Thanks.

waiting4law

Re: Parking at Cornell?

Postby waiting4law » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:14 pm

Parking in Collegetown (the neighborhood closest to the law school) is pretty rough. However, if you rent a bit further out (at, say, one of the complexes managed by Solomon Properties, about 2-3 miles away from school), then parking won't be a problem (although you'll have to pay $50 to $75 extra per month for a covered garage). Keep in mind that the $600/y on campus parking will not necessarily get you a parking berth close to the law school itself. You may end up with a spot a mile away from Hughes.

There is a private lot run by the city of Ithaca that is very close to the law school; however, I'm sure that keeping your car there on a monthly basis would be even more expensive than on-campus parking. If you need proximity to your car, I'd suggest you come to either Lansing West or Gaslight Village. Plenty of parking, and within 20-30 feet of your apartment (which can be a huge plus in winter).

http://www.ithaca-apartments.com/index.php?map

If you insist on staying on campus, I think you'll either have to rent a parking spot in Collegetown or just park on campus to the tune of $600.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:31 pm

There are complexes with free that are a quick walk from the LS - but it's just a regular lot (no covered parking). There are also a few places where street parking is allowed, but apparently you have to move your car every other day to make sure it's on the right side of the street.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Is anyone planning to attend Cornell without a car?

extempore88

Postby extempore88 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:48 pm

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:21 am

Oberlion wrote:I know that there have been similar threads to this one, but I cannot find any that address my particular questions:

Is there anyway to have a car in Ithaca and not pay the $600 p/year that it costs to keep it on campus, or in one of the area's garages (this just seems like a ridiculous cost for a school that's in the middle of nowhere)?

Do most apartments in the area have their own parking? What about parking for people planning to live in Hughes?

Thanks.

Many apartments have parking either as part of rent or for not too expensive. You can also get a parking pass to park at Cornell, though it's a bit of a walk from the law school.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:29 am

OMG. I totally sold my car after a few months here. Parking is fairly easy to find. Tons of places rent parking for less than campus rents parking. Also, there's tons of on-street parking everywhere.
Last edited by swc65 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:30 am

extempore88 wrote:I am planning on selling my car before I move to Ithaca in August. I guess I'll have a better feel for the mass transit situation after I visit next weekend, but from what I've heard, Ithaca is a very walkable/bus-able community. I have a friend in UG at Cornell and he reports little trouble navigating the bus system.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”