UConn-Brooklyn-Cardozo-Villanova-SMU-Santa Clara

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UConn-Brooklyn-Cardozo-Villanova-SMU

UConn
13%
Brooklyn
7%
Cardozo
47%
Villanova
20%
SMU
No votes
Santa Clara
13%

Total votes: 15

Mav88

UConn-Brooklyn-Cardozo-Villanova-SMU-Santa Clara

Postby Mav88 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:18 pm

So far I've received acceptance letters from UConn, Cardozo, and Villanova; i'm still waiting on SMU Dedman, Brooklyn, and Santa Clara (they are all around the same level so I'm pretty confident I'll get in but you never know).

I want to practice Big-Law and I really want to be in the NYC area (I've lived in Northern California my whole life and want a change of scenery), from lurking around on this site and others I've heard a lot of hate for Cardozo and Brooklyn although those are my only prospects if I actually want to live in NYC. I've heard that you have to be in the top 5-10% of these schools to get big law positions and even then its not a sure bet. Hence, I've been looking at schools like UConn, Villanova, and SMU which have a better chance of big law but are more regional.

I guess my overall question would be, would it be foolish for me to pursue an acceptance at Brooklyn or Cardozo if i could go to one of these other schools if my end goal was to practice big law in NYC?

erniesto

Re: UConn-Brooklyn-Cardozo-Villanova-SMU-Santa Clara

Postby erniesto » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Mav88 wrote:So far I've received acceptance letters from UConn, Cardozo, and Villanova; i'm still waiting on SMU Dedman, Brooklyn, and Santa Clara (they are all around the same level so I'm pretty confident I'll get in but you never know).

I want to practice Big-Law and I really want to be in the NYC area (I've lived in Northern California my whole life and want a change of scenery), from lurking around on this site and others I've heard a lot of hate for Cardozo and Brooklyn although those are my only prospects if I actually want to live in NYC. I've heard that you have to be in the top 5-10% of these schools to get big law positions and even then its not a sure bet. Hence, I've been looking at schools like UConn, Villanova, and SMU which have a better chance of big law but are more regional.

I guess my overall question would be, would it be foolish for me to pursue an acceptance at Brooklyn or Cardozo if i could go to one of these other schools if my end goal was to practice big law in NYC?

Foolish to attend if you really want to live in NYC? Not really if you have a decent scholarship. Foolish to attend if your sole purpose is big law? Probably. You'd be better off retaking your LSAT and gunning for a T-18 which places in NYC.

Edit: none of the schools mentioned have great big law placement.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”