Seattle vs. Miami Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
secretasianman

New

Seattle vs. Miami

Post by secretasianman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:12 pm

So, I am from the city of Seattle and initially really didn't want to stay in the northwest. But, after visiting the school over spring break I was really impressed and wouldn't mind going there. I've been accepted to Seattle and put on HOLD at Miami. I still have to take a summer class which will end on the 13th of August, leaving me not much time to get settled in Miami if I get accepted and decide to attend there. I also wanted to know what you guys think about job prospects for Seattle vs Miami in their respective regions and which school would give me a better job upon graduation. Given my situation, what do you guys think?

secretasianman

New

Re: Seattle vs. Miami

Post by secretasianman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:08 am

bump^

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:20 am

For job prospects there's no question that Miami would be better. SU was fairly competitive in the Seattle market at one time. At SU, you will need to be in the top-3% get Seattle Biglaw:

Perkins Coie
K & L Gates
Davis Wright Tremaine
Foster Pepper
Stoel Rives
Lane Powell
Garvey Schubert Barer
Dorsey & Whitney
Gordon Thomas

At Miami, you can get Miami biglaw at top-10%. Both have 3.0 curves, both are private, and both are expensive. SU would be a top-50 law school if it could send more graduates to Biglaw. Washington State only has three law schools, one of them on the eastern side of the state (Gonzaga). The UW dominates the Seattle Market, along with T14 schools. Miami has a little better hold on its own market, IMO, and you have a small chance of working in another market (NY, ATL, D.C.) At SU, be prepared to work a few blocks away from the school...no portability.

secretasianman

New

Post by secretasianman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:18 pm

thanks for the response! i agree about the big law prospects, but what about midlaw, etc?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”