Lowest ranked school worth of a transfer?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RayFinkle

Lowest ranked school worth of a transfer?

Postby RayFinkle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:37 am

I am not considering or planning on transferring, but know a number of people who are/have and know that a bunch of TLSers have it on the brain right now since acceptances, and more importantly rejections, have come out recently. I am curious what everyone thinks is the lowest ranked school to justify a transfer (losing a top 15% ranking or better, law review, etc.). Assuming you go to a bottom T2 or worse, at which school would you make the cutoff that paying sticker and losing your stats makes it not worth it?

ggocat

Re: Lowest ranked school worth of a transfer?

Postby ggocat » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:47 am

Paying sticker at the current school?

RayFinkle

Postby RayFinkle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:49 am

Eh... I am just making up variable's here. Let's say at the most you are paying in-state around 20k per year... or lower if you got scholarships.

waverider

Postby waverider » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:12 pm

I'll play the hypothetical game.

Lets assume you're at a T2 school where you have in state tuition. Lets also assume that you wouldn't mind working in that region (otherwise, why would you be going to that school).

If it were me I would only transfer if it was to a T14 + Vandy (vandy because it has always been my dream school, for many people you could replace Vandy with USC, UCLA, or Texas).

I guess if I were at a T2 school that was a clear second fiddle to a state school (note tuition would be similar or cheaper) it may be worth the transfer. For example Houston to Texas or Seattle to U Was, or Northern Kentucky ( I know its not T2) to Kentucky.

I do not think it would be worth "starting from scratch" just to transfer to relatively close schools. For example, though I will forever be a Gator I would see no need to transfer from FSU to UF, from ASU to UAZ, from Loyola LA to San diego.

This is just the $0.02 of a 0L who claims to know nothing about the transfering process.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:29 pm

Depends on your situation.

I go to a T2 that dominates its region. We have a guy who transferred here from Cooley. He's from the area, and wants to work in the area. So...his transfer from a non-local TTTT seems like a very smart move. (I'm not commenting one way or the other on his decision to attend Cooley to begin with...but fortunately it worked out for him).

So in that case, transferring to T2 was the right move.

It's really a case by case determination...

rando

Postby rando » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:51 pm

I have two friends that transferred out of Emory; to Penn and Chicago. Both of them struck out at their respective transfer schools' OCI. They would have been locks for ATL (and probably NYC) biglaw jobs if they had stayed. But given the uncertainty we were all facing with the economy, they thought they would have better chances by transferring up.
They are each desperately unhappy with the decision.

This is a completely different scenario to someone transferring T2-4 up to T1 etc. I can't really speak to that, though it seems the transfers we received this past year are faring decently at Spring OCI.

boardride23

Postby boardride23 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:54 am

waverider wrote:I'll play the hypothetical game.

Lets assume you're at a T2 school where you have in state tuition. Lets also assume that you wouldn't mind working in that region (otherwise, why would you be going to that school).

If it were me I would only transfer if it was to a T14 + Vandy (vandy because it has always been my dream school, for many people you could replace Vandy with USC, UCLA, or Texas).

I guess if I were at a T2 school that was a clear second fiddle to a state school (note tuition would be similar or cheaper) it may be worth the transfer. For example Houston to Texas or Seattle to U Was, or Northern Kentucky ( I know its not T2) to Kentucky.

I do not think it would be worth "starting from scratch" just to transfer to relatively close schools. For example, though I will forever be a Gator I would see no need to transfer from FSU to UF, from ASU to UAZ, from Loyola LA to San diego.

This is just the $0.02 of a 0L who claims to know nothing about the transfering process.

Sorry to be irrelevant to the main point of your message, but I'm not so sure transferring from Loyola to USD is actually an upgrade (like the other schools mentioned), they're very comparable schools in different markets (Loyola just happened to drop too far in last years rankings due to misreporting, and USD had the opposite jump)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”