Money vs. Reputation

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby scribelaw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:16 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Yeah, CCN vs. other T10 w/ $$ is a darn hard question. I woke up at around 4:30 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep because of it. I'm dying. :?


For me, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that Northwestern with a $60,000-$90,000 scholarship is a better option than NYU sticker, if I end up getting money from Northwestern.

Unless you want NYC


Correct.

I like NYC, DC and Chicago and wouldn't mind living in any of them. I'm also from the Midwest so having that as a backup option is nice, which is more realistic at Northwestern (lower debt and more Midwest firms at OCI).

I guess it comes down to personal preferences.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:16 pm

PopCopyManager wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:
PopCopyManager wrote:I agree with the difficulty in choosing behind CCN and 1/2+ Tuition at a T10. Based on all the actual numbers I've seen, it looks like the T10 is the way to go. However, as others have pointed out, there may be other (less quantifiable) benefits of going to a T6 school.



I went into fedex/kinko's the other day to get a poster made and they told me the cd was blank. At the time I figured that I had grabbed the wrong cd because I didn't label it. Then I went home to check, and it was the right one. I brought it back the next day, went to a different counter and it worked fine. Made me smile and think of your avatar.

/useless and irrelevant (sort of) post


If a customer has a computer disk, tell them it's the wrong format! hahaha i heart the chappelle show.


If they use a PC, tell em we use Mac. If they use a Mac, tell em we use PC. If they use both, just tell them the system's down. It should be, anyhow!

ze2151
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby ze2151 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 pm

PopCopyManager wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:
PopCopyManager wrote:I agree with the difficulty in choosing behind CCN and 1/2+ Tuition at a T10. Based on all the actual numbers I've seen, it looks like the T10 is the way to go. However, as others have pointed out, there may be other (less quantifiable) benefits of going to a T6 school.



I went into fedex/kinko's the other day to get a poster made and they told me the cd was blank. At the time I figured that I had grabbed the wrong cd because I didn't label it. Then I went home to check, and it was the right one. I brought it back the next day, went to a different counter and it worked fine. Made me smile and think of your avatar.

/useless and irrelevant (sort of) post


If a customer has a computer disk, tell them it's the wrong format! hahaha i heart the chappelle show.


If a customer asks for the manager, tell him you ARE the manager!

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Great post, OP. I had a very similar experience talking to several biglaw and in-house lawyers over the past few months, and I'm glad to see my experience wasn't entirely isolated.

ze2151 wrote:the basic principle op is arguing for is a good one, i think, but i like the amendment here regarding regional elites. if you, like i, want to live and work in georgia forever, then a full ride at emory may well trump 60,000 at uva. but if i wanted to move back to the northeast, the cash at emory might not be a prudent choice and certainly wouldn't be the better option between emory and uva, unless you want to go to emory for a specific reason (law and religion perhaps).


Isn't this exactly the sort of rationale that the people OP spoke with are arguing against? I'm pretty sure the same lawyers who advise taking NYU/CLS at sticker over 3/4 ride at UCLA (even for Cali) would advise you to take UVA w/ $ over a full ride at Emory in a heartbeat.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby bernie shmegma » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:29 pm

What the F is CCN?

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby bernie shmegma » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:30 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Great post, OP. I had a very similar experience talking to several biglaw and in-house lawyers over the past few months, and I'm glad to see my experience wasn't entirely isolated.

ze2151 wrote:the basic principle op is arguing for is a good one, i think, but i like the amendment here regarding regional elites. if you, like i, want to live and work in georgia forever, then a full ride at emory may well trump 60,000 at uva. but if i wanted to move back to the northeast, the cash at emory might not be a prudent choice and certainly wouldn't be the better option between emory and uva, unless you want to go to emory for a specific reason (law and religion perhaps).


Isn't this exactly the sort of rationale that the people OP spoke with are arguing against? I'm pretty sure the same lawyers who advise taking NYU/CLS at sticker over 3/4 ride at UCLA (even for Cali) would advise you to take UVA w/ $ over a full ride at Emory in a heartbeat.


No. Read it more carefully.
Last edited by bernie shmegma on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:30 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:What the F is CCN?



Columbia, Chicago, NYU

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby bernie shmegma » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:31 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:What the F is CCN?



Columbia, Chicago, NYU


Oh, of course!

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby soullesswonder » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:56 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:Great post, OP. I had a very similar experience talking to several biglaw and in-house lawyers over the past few months, and I'm glad to see my experience wasn't entirely isolated.

ze2151 wrote:the basic principle op is arguing for is a good one, i think, but i like the amendment here regarding regional elites. if you, like i, want to live and work in georgia forever, then a full ride at emory may well trump 60,000 at uva. but if i wanted to move back to the northeast, the cash at emory might not be a prudent choice and certainly wouldn't be the better option between emory and uva, unless you want to go to emory for a specific reason (law and religion perhaps).


Isn't this exactly the sort of rationale that the people OP spoke with are arguing against? I'm pretty sure the same lawyers who advise taking NYU/CLS at sticker over 3/4 ride at UCLA (even for Cali) would advise you to take UVA w/ $ over a full ride at Emory in a heartbeat.


No. Read it more carefully.


You were the one who introduced the idea that "regional elites" should be part of the equation. You also put Emory and Vandy in the same category, which is hugely misleading. You don't trade away a T10 degree for an extra 60k at Emory.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby bernie shmegma » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:01 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:Great post, OP. I had a very similar experience talking to several biglaw and in-house lawyers over the past few months, and I'm glad to see my experience wasn't entirely isolated.

ze2151 wrote:the basic principle op is arguing for is a good one, i think, but i like the amendment here regarding regional elites. if you, like i, want to live and work in georgia forever, then a full ride at emory may well trump 60,000 at uva. but if i wanted to move back to the northeast, the cash at emory might not be a prudent choice and certainly wouldn't be the better option between emory and uva, unless you want to go to emory for a specific reason (law and religion perhaps).


Isn't this exactly the sort of rationale that the people OP spoke with are arguing against? I'm pretty sure the same lawyers who advise taking NYU/CLS at sticker over 3/4 ride at UCLA (even for Cali) would advise you to take UVA w/ $ over a full ride at Emory in a heartbeat.


No. Read it more carefully.


You were the one who introduced the idea that "regional elites" should be part of the equation. You also put Emory and Vandy in the same category, which is hugely misleading. You don't trade away a T10 degree for an extra 60k at Emory.


Not my post, read the next guys post more carefully. He didn't say in all circumstances and neither did I. So, it was NOT exactly[i][/i] the opposite of what the OP is arguing. Additionally, I disagree with you on the last comment. I don't think you can clearly determine "You don't throw away T10 for an extra 60K at Emory" if you want ATL and you have the options between 60K at Emory and lower COL vs. Northwestern at sticker with higher COL. The OP is really referring- more reasonably- to T6 + Regional elite for some regions (like Emory/Vandy in ATL) and more like T14 + regional elites for other regions (like Fordham in NY)

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby KG_CalGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:24 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Great post, OP. I had a very similar experience talking to several biglaw and in-house lawyers over the past few months, and I'm glad to see my experience wasn't entirely isolated.

ze2151 wrote:the basic principle op is arguing for is a good one, i think, but i like the amendment here regarding regional elites. if you, like i, want to live and work in georgia forever, then a full ride at emory may well trump 60,000 at uva. but if i wanted to move back to the northeast, the cash at emory might not be a prudent choice and certainly wouldn't be the better option between emory and uva, unless you want to go to emory for a specific reason (law and religion perhaps).


Isn't this exactly the sort of rationale that the people OP spoke with are arguing against? I'm pretty sure the same lawyers who advise taking NYU/CLS at sticker over 3/4 ride at UCLA (even for Cali) would advise you to take UVA w/ $ over a full ride at Emory in a heartbeat.


To clarify, the people who I spoke with would probably argue for UVA over Emory in most cases. As one of you pointed out, if you don't care about biglaw, and know you want to work in Atlanta/Georgia for the rest of your life, Emory will probably get the job done for you. The people I spoke with emphasized picking the "best" school for a number of reasons, the main ones being: (1) Depth of hiring. The fact is that employers go deeper into the applicant pool among a t5/t10 school than they do at the schools (2) Opportunity. There are both more markets for a grad from an elite school (as many of you mentioned NYC and DC),and more types of jobs (a school like NYU/CLS and, I imagine, UVA, has better connections with a lot of public interest groups, government agencies, and "non-firm" jobs), and probably a has a better established channel to clerkships and careers in academia and (3) Portability (this is related to the opportunity argument).

That being said, I'll reiterate my point that it isn't ALWAYS best to take the highest ranked school (Georgetown vs. UCLA/UT being one obvious case) and people still have to consider a number of factors beyond $$$ (location, "vibe," emphasis, personal connections, etc.)

User avatar
racie23
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby racie23 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Thsi is a great post and awesome info but what about those of us that are choosing between a top 45 school vs. two schools ranked 61?
The way I see it Brooklyn (61) offers best location for the next three years but will cost $59/yr and is third best educationally due to factors such as class size and student/faculty ratio; Lewis & Clark, Portland, OR 61) is by far the cheapest at $45/yr, offers the second best location and second best education; U of A, Tuscon, AZ (43) will most likely provide the best education and will cost $53/yr but offers the worst location.
Assuming I need to be flexible about where I work but I really don't like the idea of being stuck in AZ past law school and I may not be able to do public interest work if it would be unpaid but I know I don't want to follow the Big Law model, what would you choose? Or if you are not comfortable saying that how would you look at and prioritize the factors/schools above?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby dakatz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:40 pm

I basically have this same dilemma. its a T20 school in the region where I want to be, for nearly free, vs. a T-6 school in a place I have no interest in being and at full price.

User avatar
Clint Eastwood
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:15 am

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby Clint Eastwood » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:47 pm

dakatz wrote:I basically have this same dilemma. its a T20 school in the region where I want to be, for nearly free, vs. a T-6 school in a place I have no interest in being and at full price.


Well, then, I'd say to you what problem do you have with the region known as 'America'?

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby KG_CalGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:00 pm

racie23 wrote:Thsi is a great post and awesome info but what about those of us that are choosing between a top 45 school vs. two schools ranked 61?
The way I see it Brooklyn (61) offers best location for the next three years but will cost $59/yr and is third best educationally due to factors such as class size and student/faculty ratio; Lewis & Clark, Portland, OR 61) is by far the cheapest at $45/yr, offers the second best location and second best education; U of A, Tuscon, AZ (43) will most likely provide the best education and will cost $53/yr but offers the worst location.
Assuming I need to be flexible about where I work but I really don't like the idea of being stuck in AZ past law school and I may not be able to do public interest work if it would be unpaid but I know I don't want to follow the Big Law model, what would you choose? Or if you are not comfortable saying that how would you look at and prioritize the factors/schools above?


The sad fact is, once you step outside the top 25 or so (if even that much), you are really looking at regional employment. Sure you could probably get jobs in other markets, but your odds are much lower, especially if you step into a big market like LA, SF, DC, or NY, all of which draw students from elite schools. I can't really say where'd I go, but that's mostly because I decided early on that I wouldn't go to a school outside the t25 (with a few exceptions) based upon the types of career opportunities I wanted. However, my priorities for your situation would be the following (1) Debt. Figure out how much debt you'll accrue at each school and based upon their employment stats (which they ought to give you if you ask), figure out how long that debt will be a burden. (2) Job Market. I'd go in with the mindset that you won't be able to get a job outside of your school's region (though you might). Ask yourself where you want to be "stuck" after you graduate. (3) Intangibles. Consider your personal factors such as leaving behind family, friends, or a significant other. Consider quality of life and cost of living, and of course which schools have the programs you like. At a regional school, you're best bet may be to work the "specialization" approach and situate yourself in a niche market.

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby KG_CalGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:02 pm

dakatz wrote:I basically have this same dilemma. its a T20 school in the region where I want to be, for nearly free, vs. a T-6 school in a place I have no interest in being and at full price.


Who cares how good the school is if you hate being there. Although, if this is Chicago (which I expect it is), I'd think really hard about it. If it's Berkeley, I personally think they're overrated (but I'm also a little bitter that they dinged me).

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:
dakatz wrote:I basically have this same dilemma. its a T20 school in the region where I want to be, for nearly free, vs. a T-6 school in a place I have no interest in being and at full price.


Who cares how good the school is if you hate being there. Although, if this is Chicago (which I expect it is), I'd think really hard about it. If it's Berkeley, I personally think they're overrated (but I'm also a little bitter that they dinged me).

Lawl @ boalt being a top 6.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Going through a similar dilemma: UVA at half cost vs UT for a significant amount less. Does one offer me significantly more opportunity at Texas firms than the other? I'm starting to think no.

Weigh in here!

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby KG_CalGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:19 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
KG_CalGuy wrote:
dakatz wrote:I basically have this same dilemma. its a T20 school in the region where I want to be, for nearly free, vs. a T-6 school in a place I have no interest in being and at full price.


Who cares how good the school is if you hate being there. Although, if this is Chicago (which I expect it is), I'd think really hard about it. If it's Berkeley, I personally think they're overrated (but I'm also a little bitter that they dinged me).

Lawl @ boalt being a top 6.


Beware, the wrath of Ken is sure to come! I think Boalt is really living off name alone and with these budget cuts they're going to suffer. Plus, I've heard that employers have mixed feelings about their grads.

User avatar
racie23
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby racie23 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:42 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:
racie23 wrote:Thsi is a great post and awesome info but what about those of us that are choosing between a top 45 school vs. two schools ranked 61?
The way I see it Brooklyn (61) offers best location for the next three years but will cost $59/yr and is third best educationally due to factors such as class size and student/faculty ratio; Lewis & Clark, Portland, OR 61) is by far the cheapest at $45/yr, offers the second best location and second best education; U of A, Tuscon, AZ (43) will most likely provide the best education and will cost $53/yr but offers the worst location.
Assuming I need to be flexible about where I work but I really don't like the idea of being stuck in AZ past law school and I may not be able to do public interest work if it would be unpaid but I know I don't want to follow the Big Law model, what would you choose? Or if you are not comfortable saying that how would you look at and prioritize the factors/schools above?


The sad fact is, once you step outside the top 25 or so (if even that much), you are really looking at regional employment. Sure you could probably get jobs in other markets, but your odds are much lower, especially if you step into a big market like LA, SF, DC, or NY, all of which draw students from elite schools. I can't really say where'd I go, but that's mostly because I decided early on that I wouldn't go to a school outside the t25 (with a few exceptions) based upon the types of career opportunities I wanted. However, my priorities for your situation would be the following (1) Debt. Figure out how much debt you'll accrue at each school and based upon their employment stats (which they ought to give you if you ask), figure out how long that debt will be a burden. (2) Job Market. I'd go in with the mindset that you won't be able to get a job outside of your school's region (though you might). Ask yourself where you want to be "stuck" after you graduate. (3) Intangibles. Consider your personal factors such as leaving behind family, friends, or a significant other. Consider quality of life and cost of living, and of course which schools have the programs you like. At a regional school, you're best bet may be to work the "specialization" approach and situate yourself in a niche market.


Thanks for the advice. The truth is that none of these schools afford me staying close to family or friends. The one that gets closest is Santa Clara putting me about an hour from SF and a bunch of friends but SCU has a low employment rate and a low bar pass rate and the scholarship they offered requires that I stay in the top 25% and the school is only ranked 85 so if I go there and I lose the scholarship than I am paying top dollar for a not so top dollar school just in the hopes that I find a good job in SF since it is only an hour away....this already sounds daunting and then you add in that Stanford, BOLT, Hastings, Davis and even USF have a better draw on the SF. Makes me think U of A or even L&C would give me the same chance of getting a good job in SF.

But suppose we say nevermind on the SF factor, which of those schools (U of A, Brooklyn and L&C) are going to give more access to markets other than their own?

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby Great Satchmo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Racie23 - It is the connections that seem to matter a lot for students. Going to SCU might make it somewhat difficult to place into SF, but that's because they focus on employment on the Peninsula or in the South Bay. If you went to U of A, I imagine you'd encounter similar networking opportunities.

I don't think schools, outside of the top schools, really seem to get "get you that job" as much as "give you the opportunity to have your resume looked at via connections, either tangibly through networking events, or with employer-school relationships'.

That's just my dumb 0L perspective, however.

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby KG_CalGuy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:26 pm

You might find what you're looking for here: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby doinmybest » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:28 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:You might find what you're looking for here: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf


That's interesting, what year is that from?

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby KG_CalGuy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:03 pm

The article I took it from "What Rankings Don't Say About Costly Choices" was written in 2008

User avatar
inSouthAmerica
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Money vs. Reputation

Postby inSouthAmerica » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:
dakatz wrote:I basically have this same dilemma. its a T20 school in the region where I want to be, for nearly free, vs. a T-6 school in a place I have no interest in being and at full price.


Well, then, I'd say to you what problem do you have with the region known as 'America'?


this made me laugh. thanks clint.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest