Full scholarship @ St. John's vs. sticker @ T30, T14 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best Option

Fordham PT
47%
St. John's PT (Full Tuition)
32%
Washington & Lee (6K)
21%

Total votes: 19

Swamp Monster

New

Full scholarship @ St. John's vs. sticker @ T30, T14

Post by Swamp Monster » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:08 pm

Got a 170+ on February LSAT after not doing well on December one. After December bombing I threw an application to St. John's part time when that was in line with my numbers. Kind of forgot about it as it was pretty low on my list, but received acceptance with full tuition scholarship today (provided I stay in top 1/2 of class). Previous to this, my top choice was W&L with 6K a year. My other remaining decisions are from Northwestern and Fordham P/T. At this point, I'm thinking my rankings are:

1) Northwestern at any price
2) St. John's PT with full tuition
3) Fordham PT (assuming no $'s)
4) W&L with 6K

I'd from NY and would like to work here after, and am not deadset on Big Law though I'd like the opportunity for $'s. I don't want to make a penny wise pound foolish decision and go with the lower ranked school just because it's free, but considering the amount of money, it sounds like it's too much to pass up unless I get into Northwestern. It's obviously a personal decision but any TLS advice would be greatly appreciated!

Swamp Monster

New

Re: Full scholarship @ St. John's vs. sticker @ T30, T14

Post by Swamp Monster » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:04 pm

another quick question if anyone knows answer...I assume scholarship is transferrable for all of tuition if I switch to full-time?

confuzzled888

New

Post by confuzzled888 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:21 pm

northwestern at any price if you get in.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:23 pm

what's your gpa?

if possible, i'd suggest holding out a year and applying next cycle and scoring $$ from the T14.

Swamp Monster

New

Post by Swamp Monster » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:24 pm

confuzzled888 wrote:northwestern at any price if you get in.

yeah, that's the easy decision. I'm more vexed over St. John's full vs. Fordham sticker. I'm about ready to axe W&L but maybe not quite yet...I really liked what I saw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:25 pm

Why dump W&L? It's a very solid school and should have access to NYC.

Swamp Monster

New

Post by Swamp Monster » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:26 pm

f0bolous wrote:what's your gpa?

if possible, i'd suggest holding out a year and applying next cycle and scoring $$ from the T14.

GPA is pretty awful (sub 3...already dinged by GULC) so NU is the only T14 I'd have a shot at so I don't plan on waiting a year.

Swamp Monster

New

Post by Swamp Monster » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:28 pm

kalvano wrote:Why dump W&L? It's a very solid school and should have access to NYC.
I really liked what I saw with W&L but it's a lot of money and I'm just a bit skeptical on the NYC placement. Amount that got big law out of W&L is only 8-10 % more than St. John's and if I'm not there, I'd like to be in NY.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Swamp Monster wrote:

GPA is pretty awful (sub 3...already dinged by GULC) so NU is the only T14 I'd have a shot at so I don't plan on waiting a year.
in that case NU at any price

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Swamp Monster

New

Post by Swamp Monster » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:33 pm

yeah, I'm just working under the pessimistic assumption that I won't get into NU right now. Obviously if I do...Game over.
f0bolous wrote:
Swamp Monster wrote:

in that case NU at any price

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:16 am

Swamp Monster wrote:
kalvano wrote:Why dump W&L? It's a very solid school and should have access to NYC.
I really liked what I saw with W&L but it's a lot of money and I'm just a bit skeptical on the NYC placement. Amount that got big law out of W&L is only 8-10 % more than St. John's and if I'm not there, I'd like to be in NY.

Yeah, but W&L also places a much higher percent into Federal Clerkships (7-9% on average) than most schools in its range. Thus, access to Big Law is almost certainly more than 8-10% better than St. John's.

Swamp Monster

New

Post by Swamp Monster » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:27 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
Swamp Monster wrote:

Yeah, but W&L also places a much higher percent into Federal Clerkships (7-9% on average) than most schools in its range. Thus, access to Big Law is almost certainly more than 8-10% better than St. John's.

Good point that I didn't take into consideration it's just the location that scares me career wise. I clearly prefer the school to St. John's, I'm just not sure I prefer it 150K more, but it's a decision I may have to make.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”