NYU or Columbia - any regrets?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: NYU or Columbia - any regrets?

Postby Renzo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:58 pm

NYU2011 wrote:
Also, are there outdoor running routes near NYU (Riverside Park was one of the seemingly irrelevant factors I liked about CLS).


I run at Hudson River Park - if you live in D'Ag it's probably a 10-ish minute walk. I live further west so it's very convenient for me.

The Hudson Riverwalk is nice, but I'm old and my knees can't take the concrete, so I run on the roof track at Coles.

sophie316
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: NYU or Columbia - any regrets?

Postby sophie316 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:00 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I've been lucky enough to meet amazing people at both CLS and NYU, and if I were an applicant with a snap decision to make, I do believe I would be in trouble. I can't honestly say that the stress level seems higher at one than at the other, because my friends do an admirable job of managing their stress-- better than I do. I had some preconceived notions about both T14s when I started at Fordham, but I have long since been disabused of my silly ideas.

I do want to speak to Sophie's comment, because I think she raises an interesting point. In my experience, it's easier to make friends with law students with whom one is not in direct competition. For me, this means people in other sections or at other schools. I adore my sectionmates, but when I am extremely stressed out and need to go do something fun, I find myself turning to people I don't see every day in torts. It's just hard, emotionally, because of what the curve does to us. I don't think it's wrong, nor does it say anything about quality of life at the school in question. I am close to some of my sectionmates, but if I'm worried about finals, I take it uptown (or downtown, or out of NYC altogether.) I understand what Sophie is getting at.

I'll now leave this to those who properly belong in this thread. :D


I will say that on my part at least, my inability to connect with people has nothing to do with the fact that i feel like I'm in competition with people around me. This probably has to do with the fact that Im not necessarily shooting for biglaw(I will do EIW and see what happens but if I don't get a SA I will just go another route). It's almost the opposite..I find the idea of being competitive completely alien and find law students in general too serious....I'm pretty easygoing so I just don't get it. This all could just mean that law really isn't for me of course heh.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: NYU or Columbia - any regrets?

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:19 am

sophie316 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I've been lucky enough to meet amazing people at both CLS and NYU, and if I were an applicant with a snap decision to make, I do believe I would be in trouble. I can't honestly say that the stress level seems higher at one than at the other, because my friends do an admirable job of managing their stress-- better than I do. I had some preconceived notions about both T14s when I started at Fordham, but I have long since been disabused of my silly ideas.

I do want to speak to Sophie's comment, because I think she raises an interesting point. In my experience, it's easier to make friends with law students with whom one is not in direct competition. For me, this means people in other sections or at other schools. I adore my sectionmates, but when I am extremely stressed out and need to go do something fun, I find myself turning to people I don't see every day in torts. It's just hard, emotionally, because of what the curve does to us. I don't think it's wrong, nor does it say anything about quality of life at the school in question. I am close to some of my sectionmates, but if I'm worried about finals, I take it uptown (or downtown, or out of NYC altogether.) I understand what Sophie is getting at.

I'll now leave this to those who properly belong in this thread. :D


I will say that on my part at least, my inability to connect with people has nothing to do with the fact that i feel like I'm in competition with people around me. This probably has to do with the fact that Im not necessarily shooting for biglaw(I will do EIW and see what happens but if I don't get a SA I will just go another route). It's almost the opposite..I find the idea of being competitive completely alien and find law students in general too serious....I'm pretty easygoing so I just don't get it. This all could just mean that law really isn't for me of course heh.


I'm not sold on biglaw either, and I have the same problem about competition feeling completely alien. I don't want to compete with my classmates! I was extremely lucky, and I'm grateful, but I still torture myself every day. I want to be easygoing. I think your attitude is healthy and positive, and you shouldn't change it. I hope there is room in the law for people who feel this way. If you don't mind my asking, how do you keep it from getting to you? If there is any way to make the end of this semester more peaceful, I mean to try.

sophie316
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: NYU or Columbia - any regrets?

Postby sophie316 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:40 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I'm not sold on biglaw either, and I have the same problem about competition feeling completely alien. I don't want to compete with my classmates! I was extremely lucky, and I'm grateful, but I still torture myself every day. I want to be easygoing. I think your attitude is healthy and positive, and you shouldn't change it. I hope there is room in the law for people who feel this way. If you don't mind my asking, how do you keep it from getting to you? If there is any way to make the end of this semester more peaceful, I mean to try.


Hmm I guess things that help:

1) Outside of law school I dont hang out with law students really. I have 2 2L friends from college and they have a very similar attitude to law school as I do(ie OMG WHY IS EVERYONE SO CRAZY lets get a beer and play video games for 6 hours). my other friends are all either in other grad schools(my friends in med school really help put the amount of work required of law students in perspective) or working. This obviously has its pros and cons... the downside is the above mentioned feeling of not really knowing many people at law school.

2) The friends I do have in law school have a similar attitude to me. I'm just not friends with anyone who is competitive or intense about it. We all work collaboratively and I happily sent my outlines to my friends that didn't make their own etc. We all have pretty similar work habits....do the reading, go to class, study for 3 weeks at the end of the semester. I don't think any of us use supplements/hornbooks/brief cases. We all did fine last semester...I was top 10% although I put that down to luck/the fact that the british education system is entirely exam based so having one exam count for everything doesn't phase me(back in high school 1 exam would = two years worth of work). Also I honestly kinda thing that 90% of performance in law school is a crap shoot...you have the 5% who kill themselves working every day and they do great. You have the 5% who do nothing and they do badly. Everyone else is in the middle and will get a few As and a few Bs. I do know some people who come up to me freaking out about xy and z and I just sort of tune them out heh.

3) Honestly, I'm very lucky...I got $$ and my parents are covering the rest(as a non citizen w no guarantor I couldnt take out loans). The fact that I won't be graduating with debt probably goes a long way to being chill about law school. I fully intend to pay my parents back over time, but there is no hurry/interest.

4) I want to go home eventually(back to the UK). The people I will be competing with for jobs are not the people I'm in school with right now. As I mentioned above, i am nervous about my ability to get a job back home that that is more because I worry about NYU's int alumni network/name value than someone with better grades in my section getting the job over me.

I guess those probably the 4 big factors...maybe if I knew what I wanted to do I'd be more highly strung but for now I'm just trying to do as well as I can and figure out what I want to do/where I want to live after law school(US/UK/somewhere completely random).

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: NYU or Columbia - any regrets?

Postby Renzo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:46 am

sophie316 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I'm not sold on biglaw either, and I have the same problem about competition feeling completely alien. I don't want to compete with my classmates! I was extremely lucky, and I'm grateful, but I still torture myself every day. I want to be easygoing. I think your attitude is healthy and positive, and you shouldn't change it. I hope there is room in the law for people who feel this way. If you don't mind my asking, how do you keep it from getting to you? If there is any way to make the end of this semester more peaceful, I mean to try.


Hmm I guess things that help:

1) Outside of law school I dont hang out with law students really. I have 2 2L friends from college and they have a very similar attitude to law school as I do(ie OMG WHY IS EVERYONE SO CRAZY lets get a beer and play video games for 6 hours). my other friends are all either in other grad schools(my friends in med school really help put the amount of work required of law students in perspective) or working. This obviously has its pros and cons... the downside is the above mentioned feeling of not really knowing many people at law school.

2) The friends I do have in law school have a similar attitude to me. I'm just not friends with anyone who is competitive or intense about it. We all work collaboratively and I happily sent my outlines to my friends that didn't make their own etc. We all have pretty similar work habits....do the reading, go to class, study for 3 weeks at the end of the semester. I don't think any of us use supplements/hornbooks/brief cases. We all did fine last semester...I was top 10% although I put that down to luck/the fact that the british education system is entirely exam based so having one exam count for everything doesn't phase me(back in high school 1 exam would = two years worth of work). Also I honestly kinda thing that 90% of performance in law school is a crap shoot...you have the 5% who kill themselves working every day and they do great. You have the 5% who do nothing and they do badly. Everyone else is in the middle and will get a few As and a few Bs. I do know some people who come up to me freaking out about xy and z and I just sort of tune them out heh.

3) Honestly, I'm very lucky...I got $$ and my parents are covering the rest(as a non citizen w no guarantor I couldnt take out loans). The fact that I won't be graduating with debt probably goes a long way to being chill about law school. I fully intend to pay my parents back over time, but there is no hurry/interest.

4) I want to go home eventually(back to the UK). The people I will be competing with for jobs are not the people I'm in school with right now. As I mentioned above, i am nervous about my ability to get a job back home that that is more because I worry about NYU's int alumni network/name value than someone with better grades in my section getting the job over me.

I guess those probably the 4 big factors...maybe if I knew what I wanted to do I'd be more highly strung but for now I'm just trying to do as well as I can and figure out what I want to do/where I want to live after law school(US/UK/somewhere completely random).

Oh, pssssss. I didn't realize you were from the UK. Top 10% at NYU will all but guarantee you a SA job with a NY firm that has a London office, or even a job with a Magic Circle firm. If you like the idea of being a lawyer, that is.

sophie316
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: NYU or Columbia - any regrets?

Postby sophie316 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:58 am

Renzo wrote:
sophie316 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I'm not sold on biglaw either, and I have the same problem about competition feeling completely alien. I don't want to compete with my classmates! I was extremely lucky, and I'm grateful, but I still torture myself every day. I want to be easygoing. I think your attitude is healthy and positive, and you shouldn't change it. I hope there is room in the law for people who feel this way. If you don't mind my asking, how do you keep it from getting to you? If there is any way to make the end of this semester more peaceful, I mean to try.


Hmm I guess things that help:

1) Outside of law school I dont hang out with law students really. I have 2 2L friends from college and they have a very similar attitude to law school as I do(ie OMG WHY IS EVERYONE SO CRAZY lets get a beer and play video games for 6 hours). my other friends are all either in other grad schools(my friends in med school really help put the amount of work required of law students in perspective) or working. This obviously has its pros and cons... the downside is the above mentioned feeling of not really knowing many people at law school.

2) The friends I do have in law school have a similar attitude to me. I'm just not friends with anyone who is competitive or intense about it. We all work collaboratively and I happily sent my outlines to my friends that didn't make their own etc. We all have pretty similar work habits....do the reading, go to class, study for 3 weeks at the end of the semester. I don't think any of us use supplements/hornbooks/brief cases. We all did fine last semester...I was top 10% although I put that down to luck/the fact that the british education system is entirely exam based so having one exam count for everything doesn't phase me(back in high school 1 exam would = two years worth of work). Also I honestly kinda thing that 90% of performance in law school is a crap shoot...you have the 5% who kill themselves working every day and they do great. You have the 5% who do nothing and they do badly. Everyone else is in the middle and will get a few As and a few Bs. I do know some people who come up to me freaking out about xy and z and I just sort of tune them out heh.

3) Honestly, I'm very lucky...I got $$ and my parents are covering the rest(as a non citizen w no guarantor I couldnt take out loans). The fact that I won't be graduating with debt probably goes a long way to being chill about law school. I fully intend to pay my parents back over time, but there is no hurry/interest.

4) I want to go home eventually(back to the UK). The people I will be competing with for jobs are not the people I'm in school with right now. As I mentioned above, i am nervous about my ability to get a job back home that that is more because I worry about NYU's int alumni network/name value than someone with better grades in my section getting the job over me.

I guess those probably the 4 big factors...maybe if I knew what I wanted to do I'd be more highly strung but for now I'm just trying to do as well as I can and figure out what I want to do/where I want to live after law school(US/UK/somewhere completely random).

Oh, pssssss. I didn't realize you were from the UK. Top 10% at NYU will all but guarantee you a SA job with a NY firm that has a London office, or even a job with a Magic Circle firm. If you like the idea of being a lawyer, that is.


Heh, yeah I think thats what I'm going to try for...altho I have slacked even more this semester so I am by no means remotely confident about repeating my grades. I came to law school thinking I wanted to do int human rights...now I kinda wanna do public defense altho sadly that's virtually impossible for me to do in the US unless I manage to get married asap....

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: NYU or Columbia - any regrets?

Postby KG_CalGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:06 am

dbt wrote:We have potentially the best location (maybe Berkeley is up there with us)


Funny that you say that since my first reaction visiting the village (two weeks ago was my first ever visit to NYC) was, "Hey, this kind feels like Berkeley in a big-city environment"

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: NYU or Columbia - any regrets?

Postby dbt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:08 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:
dbt wrote:We have potentially the best location (maybe Berkeley is up there with us)


Funny that you say that since my first reaction visiting the village (two weeks ago was my first ever visit to NYC) was, "Hey, this kind feels like Berkeley in a big-city environment"


yea I agree...I've visited most of the T14 and NYU and Berkeley were definitely my favorites (Harvard after those 2).

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: NYU or Columbia - any regrets?

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:11 am

sophie316 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I'm not sold on biglaw either, and I have the same problem about competition feeling completely alien. I don't want to compete with my classmates! I was extremely lucky, and I'm grateful, but I still torture myself every day. I want to be easygoing. I think your attitude is healthy and positive, and you shouldn't change it. I hope there is room in the law for people who feel this way. If you don't mind my asking, how do you keep it from getting to you? If there is any way to make the end of this semester more peaceful, I mean to try.


Hmm I guess things that help:

1) Outside of law school I dont hang out with law students really. I have 2 2L friends from college and they have a very similar attitude to law school as I do(ie OMG WHY IS EVERYONE SO CRAZY lets get a beer and play video games for 6 hours). my other friends are all either in other grad schools(my friends in med school really help put the amount of work required of law students in perspective) or working. This obviously has its pros and cons... the downside is the above mentioned feeling of not really knowing many people at law school.

2) The friends I do have in law school have a similar attitude to me. I'm just not friends with anyone who is competitive or intense about it. We all work collaboratively and I happily sent my outlines to my friends that didn't make their own etc. We all have pretty similar work habits....do the reading, go to class, study for 3 weeks at the end of the semester. I don't think any of us use supplements/hornbooks/brief cases. We all did fine last semester...I was top 10% although I put that down to luck/the fact that the british education system is entirely exam based so having one exam count for everything doesn't phase me(back in high school 1 exam would = two years worth of work). Also I honestly kinda thing that 90% of performance in law school is a crap shoot...you have the 5% who kill themselves working every day and they do great. You have the 5% who do nothing and they do badly. Everyone else is in the middle and will get a few As and a few Bs. I do know some people who come up to me freaking out about xy and z and I just sort of tune them out heh.

3) Honestly, I'm very lucky...I got $$ and my parents are covering the rest(as a non citizen w no guarantor I couldnt take out loans). The fact that I won't be graduating with debt probably goes a long way to being chill about law school. I fully intend to pay my parents back over time, but there is no hurry/interest.

4) I want to go home eventually(back to the UK). The people I will be competing with for jobs are not the people I'm in school with right now. As I mentioned above, i am nervous about my ability to get a job back home that that is more because I worry about NYU's int alumni network/name value than someone with better grades in my section getting the job over me.

I guess those probably the 4 big factors...maybe if I knew what I wanted to do I'd be more highly strung but for now I'm just trying to do as well as I can and figure out what I want to do/where I want to live after law school(US/UK/somewhere completely random).


Thank you. Sending you a PM.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests