Where would you go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bballfreak56

Where would you go?

Postby bballfreak56 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:05 pm

I am applying with a 3.0 gpa and a 163 LSAT, where would you go with these numbers, location of work and living dont really matter to me, im open minded.

kalvano

Re: Where would you go?

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Welcome to schools 40-75.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Consider Alabama or Iowa. SMU or Indiana.

singingvontrapp

Postby singingvontrapp » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:29 pm

If I had your numbers, I would go to the State U. and pay in-state unless it's CA where State U. is not cheap.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:33 pm

singingvontrapp wrote:If I had your numbers, I would go to the State U. and pay in-state unless it's CA where State U. is not cheap.

TITCR, it all depends on where you are from.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Wherever's cheap.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:39 pm

bballfreak56 wrote:I am applying with a 3.0 gpa and a 163 LSAT, where would you go with these numbers, location of work and living dont really matter to me, im open minded.

Maybe SMU, a bit pricey though. You have a shot at some T30 schools, could try William and Mary. The rest people have mentioned sound about right. Decide where you want to live, climate, culture, big city, small city. Once you do these things your decision should be much easier.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:44 pm

bballfreak56 wrote:I am applying with a 3.0 gpa and a 163 LSAT, where would you go with these numbers, location of work and living dont really matter to me, im open minded.

I would go to a LSAT test prep center and then to the LSAC website to registrar for the next LSAT.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:06 pm

singingvontrapp wrote:If I had your numbers, I would go to the State U. and pay in-state unless it's CA where State U. is not cheap.

OP's profile says Maine residency. In this case, OP can do much better than State U and probably with decent money $.

I agree that 40-75 is probably about right. Apply early, and throw apps at Iowa and Alabama as your T30s, but I wouldn't expect much money from those schools. I'm not sure why someone said W&M; that's definitely WL/rejection.

MoS

Postby MoS » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

OP's profile says Maine residency. In this case, OP can do much better than State U and probably with decent money $.

I agree that 40-75 is probably about right. Apply early, and throw apps at Iowa and Alabama as your T30s, but I wouldn't expect much money from those schools. I'm not sure why someone said W&M; that's definitely WL/rejection.

Unless the OP is a URM or a legit Non-Trad, Iowa isn't giving any money to him/her, but its easy to get instate tuition the second and third year. U of Georgia might be worth looking at. The GPA will probably make scholarships at many places hard.
Last edited by MoS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:27 pm

kalvano wrote:Welcome to schools 40-75.

+1

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 pm

MoS wrote:Unless the OP is a URM or a legit Non-Trad, Iowa isn't giving any money to him/her, but its easy to get instate tuition the second and third year. U of Georgia might be worth looking at. The GPA will probably make scholarships at many places hard.

UGA is a long shot. They had basically a hard wall at 164 this year for admits.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:43 pm

MoS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Unless the OP is a URM or a legit Non-Trad, Iowa isn't giving any money to him/her, but its easy to get instate tuition the second and third year. U of Georgia might be worth looking at. The GPA will probably make scholarships at many places hard.

Attaining residency after the first year isn't something I had thought about. OP, you should take a look at schools in states that would be relatively to establish residency in after 1L.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-school-residency.html

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Look at schools 50-75. Bump up your LSAT just a few points and look at schools 25-50.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:31 pm

UFMatt wrote:Look at schools 50-75. Bump up your LSAT just a few points and look at schools 25-50.

This is true. Hit 167 or 168, and you'll probably get WUSTL.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:33 pm

Make sure your LSAC GPA is a 3.0, though. Anything lower and I'd bump your chances down to 60-100. A 165 hasn't even helped me crack the Top 50 yet, which is depressing (all of my T50 schools are currently WL's :( ).

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:37 pm

In that range, secure florida residency and get in state tuition to UF.

FSU is liberal with $.

The Florida schools are excellent, low COL high QOL.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Bump the LSAT closer to a 170 and your options will drastically improve.

Failing that, attend the best state/local school in the market you want to work in and see what happens. (Protip: avoid NY, etc. where there's tons of competition for jobs).

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:01 am

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

When I said W&M I meant that as a reach, that is why I said maybe. And he likely would be waitlisted, but I don't think OP would be out right rejected.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:21 am

You really have no preference of where you'd want to be?

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:49 am

From a purely economic standpoint, I would only go to the the schools that you're eligible for if they offer you a decent amount of financial aid. USD is a probably a good school (with great weather I might add), but you are going to be stuck in San Diego (oh, poor you!). Even USD might be a "stretch" with your numbers though. Sad to say, but a 3.0 is going to hurt you in the app cycle. Also, you really need to consider long-term earnings. I happen to know somebody that is #1 in their class at University of San Francisco (which is in your range) and doesn't have a job offer yet. Even a top 1/3 at Hastings is struggling to get an offer with a firm. Yes, the economic climate will improve, but hiring practices are changing in firms. You should really think about your likelihood of securing a job that will allow you to repay your massive law school debt coming out of a tier 2/tier 3 school

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:49 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:From a purely economic standpoint, I would only go to the the schools that you're eligible for if they offer you a decent amount of financial aid. USD is a probably a good school (with great weather I might add), but you are going to be stuck in San Diego (oh, poor you!). Even USD might be a "stretch" with your numbers though. Sad to say, but a 3.0 is going to hurt you in the app cycle. Also, you really need to consider long-term earnings. I happen to know somebody that is #1 in their class at University of San Francisco (which is in your range) and doesn't have a job offer yet. Even a top 1/3 at Hastings is struggling to get an offer with a firm. Yes, the economic climate will improve, but hiring practices are changing in firms. You should really think about your likelihood of securing a job that will allow you to repay your massive law school debt coming out of a tier 2/tier 3 school

He can always go the IBR route if the debt is that soul crushing. After 10 years his "sentence" is over. I advise the poster to find a tier 2 or tier 3 school that does well in its market and which you would like to live. San Diego is one. University of Houston is another. FSU, LSU are some others that do well in their region.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:34 am

darknightbegins wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

When I said W&M I meant that as a reach, that is why I said maybe. And he likely would be waitlisted, but I don't think OP would be out right rejected.

It seems like W&M has a severe rejection phobia, as just about everyone gets waitlisted. Let's just put it this way; he's never getting off the waitlist.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”